gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680719 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 04:34:29 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: AGD or anyone else, SIP question...  (Read 4967 times)
analogdemon
Smiley Smile Associate

I've been in this town so long...

View Profile
« on: February 18, 2006, 11:34:56 AM »

When did it go out of print in the U.S. and U.K.?

I once had a dream so I packed up and split for the city.  I soon found out that my lonely life wasn't so pretty.
Jason
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2006, 11:38:38 AM »

It didn't stay in print long. I remember when the album came out, I didn't even see that many copies of it back in '92. I would say it didn't last past '93 or '94.
Beckner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2006, 11:42:49 AM »

I wouldnt be surprised to learn that it was only pressed up the one time. X amount of copies and it never was pressed up again.
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2006, 07:33:46 PM »

Damn shame.  Roll Eyes

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
runalot
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2006, 10:05:36 PM »

SIP?

The things she does to me when she makes love to me...
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2006, 10:06:27 PM »

HAHA!

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2006, 10:56:19 PM »

I bought my copy in 1998. Full price.

On a totally unrelated note, I sold my copy for $1.00.

Also in 1998.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2006, 01:40:42 PM »

The album probably officially went "out of print" as soon as it was released. That means stores would continue to stock it as long as they cared to keep whatever copies they had in stock. Keep in mind that, as I understand it, the BB's released SIP differently than other albums on "Brother Records." Previously, they simply had their Brother label distributed by a major label (Warner, CBS, now Capitol). But with SIP, they apparently couldn't get a record deal or even a distribution deal through a label (strange considering that "Kokomo" and the "Still Cruisin'" album actually sold fairly well; "Still Cruisin'" went gold), so they actually distrubuted the SIP album themselves via "Brother Entertainment." You can hear them make jokes during the '93 Paramount Theatre show, things along the lines of "buy our new album and help finance our record company."

Just a few years ago, probably 2002 or so, I saw a brand new, sealed copy of the original US version (in that awkward packaging where the CD case is opened up and then shrink wrapped) at a Fry's Electronics store. The price tag on it looked kind of yellowed and old. It probably slipped behind a shelf somewhere for a few years and then got stuck back on the shelf. I've actually found a few items at Fry's that had been out of print for years, so maybe Fry's has some strange way of rotating old stock or something.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Alan Boyd
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2006, 03:03:00 PM »

The album was distributed by a small indie company called NAVARRE.  I don't think Brother did any of the actual distribution on the record.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2006, 11:37:18 PM »

The album was distributed by a small indie company called NAVARRE.  I don't think Brother did any of the actual distribution on the record.

This certainly makes sense. I should have worded what I wrote a bit differently. I didn't really believe the BB's actually pressed the CD's and took orders for retailers themselves. They would have to somewhere to get the CD pressed, and go to a company to physically get the CD's in stores. But I think the setup was different from when, say, Caribou/CBS distributed the '85 album for Brother. I would guess they didn't "sign" with Navarre in the way that they signed with Warners or CBS. I would guess they simply paid Navarre to get the CD's into stores.

I've seen the "revised" version of SIP issued in the UK, and it had an EMI logo on it. Interesting that they got EMI to distribute the CD in the UK, but not in the US, considering EMI's own Capitol had put out a relatively successful album in "Still Cruisin'" only a few years earlier.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2006, 02:07:34 AM »

I would guess they simply paid Navarre to get the CD's into stores.

Whatever they paid, it was too much.

Iffn I recall aright, Navarre distribution bod Ron Alexenburg became something in the BB's management shortly thereafter.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
analogdemon
Smiley Smile Associate

I've been in this town so long...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2006, 05:59:08 AM »

Thanks for all the replies.  Interesting stuff.  To add to this, does anyone know when Stars & Stripes or Still Cruisin' went out of print?

I once had a dream so I packed up and split for the city.  I soon found out that my lonely life wasn't so pretty.
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2006, 06:09:25 AM »

Possibly related links:

http://www.navarre.com/search.aspx?SearchWhat=Keyword&SearchIn=&SearchFor=BEACH+BOYS&go.x=9&go.y=13

http://egoboard.com/viewtopic.php?p=15665&sid=cc26b974afe05fe7265225c6e09441fb

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx