gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680864 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 10:46:48 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Nirvana Vs The Beach Boys - Smells Like Sloop John B.  (Read 6279 times)
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: February 26, 2010, 07:22:20 PM »

First, I hope this is not a respost.  Second, by posting this I am not stating that I like it, in fact I am not really fond of it.  However, I think you will be surprised as it "works" better than you might expect.  Give it a listen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoMCjvMX_co

mypetsounds

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 09:04:03 PM »

Awesome...Nirvana's one of my favorite bands, and obviously you all know how I feel about the BB, so...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Ganz Allein
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 09:04:57 PM »

The song stays on practically the same chord the whole time, so just about anything will work on top of it.  Personally, I prefer Weird Al's "Smells Like Nirvana" to "Smells Like Teen Spirit."  Razz
DSamore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 02:54:21 AM »

The parts where the F minor conflicts with the A flat major scales bother me in that. The first few notes such as "we come on the sloop john b" sound good. everything else sounds a bit raw after that until the next phrase. cool find, though.
A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 03:47:11 AM »

Ha! I am a HUGE Nirvana fan.  And I love the BB's.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 03:59:26 AM »

Odd. I am a huge BBs fan. I never cared in the slightest about Nirvana.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 05:16:08 AM »

I thought it worked pretty well

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 06:19:14 AM »

That was great! Thanks for posting it. How could somebody think of something like that? Brian and Kurt in their prime, two tortured souls with more in common than you think.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 06:23:28 AM »

I have no idea what would be considered odd about that. It's not like you said "I love the Beatles but didn't like John Lennon and Paul McCartney solo." I mean, the BBs and Nirvana are pretty significantly different. (And the latter sucked...  Grin  )

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
sleeptalk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010, 11:05:44 AM »

The song stays on practically the same chord the whole time, so just about anything will work on top of it.

LOL i hope you're joking.
Ganz Allein
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2010, 11:15:04 AM »

The song stays on practically the same chord the whole time, so just about anything will work on top of it.

Nope, but it would be more accurate for me to say that it stays in the same key and drones on Fm throughout - except for the very brief bit where it jumps up half a step.  You can play an F bass note through the whole song (except for that spot), and it fits. It's songs like these with little musical movement key-wise that are easy to put other melodies on top of.  And I much prefer this mashup to the original SLTS.
Ganz Allein
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2010, 11:19:11 AM »

I have no idea what would be considered odd about that. It's not like you said "I love the Beatles but didn't like John Lennon and Paul McCartney solo." I mean, the BBs and Nirvana are pretty significantly different. (And the latter sucked...  Grin  )

And sucked hard. Grin  The kings of inarticulate, gravelly-voiced whiner rock.
sleeptalk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2010, 11:39:49 AM »

Nope, but it would be more accurate for me to say that it stays in the same key and drones on Fm throughout - except for the very brief bit where it jumps up half a step.  You can play an F bass note through the whole song (except for that spot), and it fits. It's songs like these with little musical movement key-wise that are easy to put other melodies on top of.

that's true for when people throw raps over rock instrumentals and expect people to be impressed, but putting together two things that move around at all — especially something with as much going on in it as the "sloop john" vocal track — becomes much less easy. granted, i didn't listen to this thing — most mashups are the devil — but that's why a few people have noted some dissonance in this track, even with two things that are in technically agreeable keys.

it's not as easy as you imply. hence this two-song mashup not even really working on its own merits.
The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2010, 02:12:13 PM »

I think a better title would have been "Sloop John B Smells Like..."  Grin
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2010, 02:32:15 PM »

The kings of inarticulate, gravelly-voiced whiner rock.

Meh. I wouldn't really call that an accurate or fair description at all. Inarticulate? Whiner rock? Nahhh.

granted, i didn't listen to this thing — most mashups are the devil

You should give it a listen - it's an, erm, amusing listen, I guess you would call it. I'd generally agree with what you said, there are so many bad ones out there, but I liked this one.

Yes, there is some dissonance in a couple of spots, it doesn't work in a few spots, but overall I thought it was nicely done. The fact that it works at all, sometimes in ways you wouldn't expect, is pretty cool.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
GLarson432
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2010, 04:51:06 PM »

I'm proud to say I've never, knowingly, heard a Nirvana song in my life until hearing the first minute or so of this thing!   That was enough.  If you people enjoy it then great.  But, for me, ...
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2010, 05:04:19 PM »

"Smells Like Teen Spirit" is one of the best rock and roll songs of the last twenty years - in my opinion, of course. police
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2010, 05:24:50 PM »

I'm proud to say I've never, knowingly, heard a Nirvana song in my life until hearing the first minute or so of this thing!   That was enough.  If you people enjoy it then great.  But, for me, ...

Hating something out of principal because of misguided preconceived notions, despite willfully knowing absolutely nothing about them, and then dismissing them after 30-45 seconds of one song (of dozens) which you likely went into with a shitty, "This is gonna be awful," attitude, anyway. Terrific!

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
GLarson432
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2010, 06:58:04 PM »

I'm an old fart.  I'm stuck in my ways.  I totally admit it's not a smart way to incorporate or not incorporate new music into my life.  I've heard things from later then my personal cutoff date (about 1984) that I've enjoyed and thought was great.  I just choose not to wade though 99 songs to get to the one I like/might like.

Am I short sighted in this view of the music that is 'out there'?  Absolutely.  Do I give a sh*t?  Not at all.  Give me Keith doing 98.6 (a really bad song, btw) over any song by (fill in the blank) from this decade.  I'm sure there is some music that is good that I would like.  I just don't want to wade through the 99% of crap to get to it.

B-Rex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2010, 08:06:22 PM »

"Smells Like Teen Spirit" is one of the best rock and roll songs of the last twenty years - in my opinion, of course. -SJS

It's pretty much a fact.  I really wish more Smiley Smilers would keep semi current on music.  If you missed the entire wave of grunge, then what else has been missed?  Grunge died rather quickly, but burned brightly for a few years.  Post grunge on the other hand...give me a barf bag.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2010, 09:00:26 PM »

'm an old fart.  I'm stuck in my ways.  I totally admit it's not a smart way to incorporate or not incorporate new music into my life.  I've heard things from later then my personal cutoff date (about 1984) that I've enjoyed and thought was great.  I just choose not to wade though 99 songs to get to the one I like/might like.

Am I short sighted in this view of the music that is 'out there'?  Absolutely.  Do I give a merda?  Not at all.  Give me Keith doing 98.6 (a really bad song, btw) over any song by (fill in the blank) from this decade.  I'm sure there is some music that is good that I would like.  I just don't want to wade through the 99% of crap to get to it.

I dunno..I'm of the type to give something a chance before I immediately dismiss it. Then again, I have an extremely wide variety of tastes. I may not like a majority of the stuff out now, but that's mainly due to the production. Here's a good rule of thumb...if you can take a song and re-arrange it in a completely different style (but still keeping the same basic melody) and it still sounds good (or better), then it's a well written song. Even then, I appreciate good music, regardless of genre. I many not care for much of music from the 50s at all (or pretty much anything else from that decade, to be honest), but the Platters kick ass.

You're entitled to your opinion...please don't think  I'm putting you down or anything. I'm not. I really don't understand how people can be closed-minded musically, but then again, I live, breathe, sleep, eat, drink, and f*ck music, so I understand I'm an exception.

Fun fact: How many people do you know have The Beach Boys sharing a cd shelf with 2pac, Pink Floyd Marilyn Manson, Frank Sinatra, AND Brian Eno? :D

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2010, 06:59:42 AM »

"Kings of whiny rock" I guess is an accurate title, if you mean "one of the only bands that pulled it off".... There's been a lot of pretenders to Kurt's throne over the years, and modern rock seems to be INCREDIBLY influenced by him, but almost all of it misses his vibe that he pulled off so well in his songs.  The lyrics were largely (in my opinion) light hearted, even though they were often negative or could be perceived as negative, I don't feel he took himself all that serious.

My favorite story about him was at some show Axl rose was fighting with Courtney love backstage about something, and Axl said "Kurt, you better tell your bitch to shut up!" and Kurt turns to courtney and says "Shut up, Bitch!" and then they walk off together.

Kurt just didn't take himself as this incredibly deep, serious person, and that little instance shows that... the words in his song aren't all that literal, even the words he said to his wife weren't literal, just what somebody interpreted them as.  Kind of hard to explain, but he had an honest sound, a real talent for melody, and most of the bands that have imitated that sound take themselves way, way, way too seriously to pull it off as well as he did. 

That's just my interpretation, at least.  When I hear bands like Daughtery whine in their music, I want to barf.  When I hear Kurt do something similar, it sounds much more honest to me, the guy was a drug addict, apparently had abdominal pains that were pretty severe, and just did his thing.  Great band.
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2010, 08:31:08 AM »

Nirvana are not, nor were they ever, grunge. Mudhoney....grunge. Soundgarden...started as grunge. Nirvana....singer/songwriter pop-punk. I was doing the college radio thing (at my high school!!??!) in '88 when Mudhoney and Nirvana appeared. Everybody dismissed Nirvana's Bleach album, but loved the first couple Mudhoney singles and EP. Three years later I go to pick up the newest Soundgarden album and I see Nevermind by Nirvana. Were these the same guys, I wondered, on DGC now?! I learned to like Nirvana quite a bit, but looking back on it , their music is pretty cheeseball we're-not-like-everybody-else-but-we-are schlock. Plus they pretty much ruined 'rock' music forever afterward.

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2010, 09:15:09 AM »

They ruined rock music the same way the Beatles ruined Motown.  Before Nirvana and including Nirvana, Rock was pretty good, afterwards it was all bad imitations of Nirvana.  My dad used to complain all the time how the Beatles changed music, so Motown died, lol.  I never quite got it, but he hated the Beatles because of that.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2010, 01:26:15 PM »

See if find that when I listen to the plastic crap that's filling a lot of the 2010 pop/rock airwaves is the type of the thing that is making Kurt spin in his grave. Everything he hated and was working against.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx