gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:18:44 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: WTF is that hanging down from my window?  (Read 3197 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 26, 2010, 02:50:35 PM »

Oh, those are my Wind Chimes. Recorded this afternoon in my typical "don't bother to learn it properly, just play/arrange/record as it happens." And this is what happens. Enjoy. (Really hasty mix because I want to go for a walk while the sun's out.) [edited out initial link]
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 11:16:13 AM by Luther » Logged

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 11:16:50 AM »

A few changes: new fuzz bass part, new electric bass on second verse, some mix changes. Enjoy (again). http://www.sendspace.com/file/hwmapr

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 08:40:18 AM »

Pretty good cover. However, while the idea to slowly introduce the full bass line was interesting, I think I'd like it better if was there from the start.  Still, the tentative piano tinkling during "a tear rolls off..." is cool, as is the way you worked in "whispering winds" as the outro. And, of course, if you really wanted to impress me, which isn't much of a rewarding goal, a few more vocal parts during the bridge/chorus and outro would knock my socks off. But I know you were just doing this for fun.
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 11:53:10 AM »

This is quite tasty, it's nice to hear the first verse played quite straight and without too much fiddly bits which is initially how I assume it would have sounded when Brian first knocked out the melody. I think I preferred the first verse to the rest of it, i'm not keen on the 'Been way too long' part of it (in any version) and prefer the Smiley Smile version anyway.
The Whispering winds outro is very lovely and haven't really heard you do something that vocally reverb-y before? More of that would be nice. That's a great reverb on it - without resorting to anal-retentiveness, how did you get that?

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 04:06:09 PM »

And, of course, if you really wanted to impress me, which isn't much of a rewarding goal, a few more vocal parts during the bridge/chorus and outro would knock my socks off. But I know you were just doing this for fun.
Hmmm...would I like to see your socks knocked off? Maybe. Let's see those feet.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 04:11:48 PM »

The Whispering winds outro is very lovely and haven't really heard you do something that vocally reverb-y before? More of that would be nice. That's a great reverb on it - without resorting to anal-retentiveness, how did you get that?
My typical recording setup (singing into ASM MK319, Motu 8pre interface, Mac), in the (hardwood-floored, mostly bare-walled) living room, from about 20-24 inches away. Doubled each of the parts. That actually gave it quite a bit of natural reverb already. Then I added a little of one of the reverb patches in Digital Performer (which is the software I use) with a pretty long decay and a very bright sound.

matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 03:18:49 PM »

Interesting about singing away from the mic that far away, i've never actually tried that but I might give it a go. Obviously that would give it 'distance'!

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 08:08:32 AM »

Usually I would not be so far away while singing, but I did it for that part.

damdamdam
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 04:34:06 PM »

Nice.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx