gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 03:33:45 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: She & Him cover "I Can Hear Music" on new single  (Read 3373 times)
jeremylr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: February 25, 2010, 07:59:13 PM »

She, actress/singer/writer Zooey Deschanel, & Him, M. Ward," recently released their cover of "I Can Hear Music."  I know it's not written by the BB, but they're associated with it more than anyone else.

Released as the b-side of "In The Sun" from their forthcoming "Volume 2" LP, the song is pretty good.  Wish they would include it on the album.

Zooey is on lead, with stacked background vocals from Zooey & M. Ward.  Besides vocals, there's just handclaps, acoustic guitars, bass, & an electric guitar.  By the way, Zooey interviewed Brian last year for some online site that I can't remember.  Had to do with the Hollywood bowl.

It's a current song, but then again, it harkens back to another era.  I could see the BB doing this in demo form.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 08:10:44 PM »

Very excited to hear that.  I loved the first She & Him album, and I'm totally in love with Zoe as it is.  Thanks for the heads up!
slothrop
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 04:06:41 PM »

By the way, Zooey interviewed Brian last year for some online site that I can't remember.  Had to do with the Hollywood bowl.

Saw that, it was kind of funny. All I can recall Brian really saying is "you're a very pretty girl". Such a player.
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 07:00:19 PM »

You can stream it here:

http://www.mergerecords.com/store/store_detail.php?catalog_id=694

Kind of irritating they don't mention the Beach Boys influence on the site...as I'm not hearing much of the Ronettes version in this.
aaktt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 02:45:42 PM »

As much as I love some of the Ronettes songs, their version of "I Can Hear Music" is utterly hopeless.
But Zooey's done a great job here. At first I fought my way through this version, as I was used to the Beach Boys', and this "campfire" guitar made it sound uninspired, or even a bit tacky. But after some listening I really started to enjoy it. The whole new She & Him album is worth checking out. It remains contemporary while incorporating melodies, and song patterns taken from the 60s Smiley

I guess "I Can Hear Music" might be one of the most often listened Beach Boys' songs by me (I won't dare call it one of my favorites as that's changing overnight).

Sorry for refreshing an old topic, but I couldn't stop myself Grin
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx