gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681107 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 23, 2024, 06:06:24 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carnival of Sound  (Read 6308 times)
damdamdam
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 25, 2010, 07:21:37 AM »

Does anyone know if this 22 Feb US Jan and Dean release can be had from anywhere other than Rhino, which charges $22 shipping to the UK?

Has anyone heard it?

The 'listening party' tracks (http://www.rhino.com/article/listening-party-jan-dean) are growing on me. You just have to bracket the silly lyrics.
Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 12:01:14 AM »

Does anyone know if this 22 Feb US Jan and Dean release can be had from anywhere other than Rhino, which charges $22 shipping to the UK?

Has anyone heard it?

The 'listening party' tracks (http://www.rhino.com/article/listening-party-jan-dean) are growing on me. You just have to bracket the silly lyrics.

It's a Rhino Handmade specialty release . . . limited edition, in terms of the deluxe version . . . so not currently available elsewhere.

Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 02:43:10 PM »

I have to say, Carnival of Sound is growing on me. I didn't like it at first, but the more I listen to it, the more I notice all of those strange psychedelic elements.  Some of the sounds, particularly some of the harmonies on "Girl, You're Blowing My Mind", remind me of My Bloody Valentine. I also enjoy how it still sounds a lot like early 60s pop in places, just really demented and psychedelic. It seems to be a startlingly accurate picture of where Jan must have been around that time. However, you can tell that as hard as Jan was trying, he still had some limitations. It's hard for me to explain specifically, but a lot of the songs seem to reuse a lot of the same vocal phrasings or have instrumental or vocal variations on the same melodic ideas. It's like Jan had 2 or 3 unbelievably good songs and, by making variations on them, created 8 or 9 songs out of it. Kind of like SMiLE, I guess.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 04:40:33 PM »

Actually, I've been listening to Jan & Dean's greatest hits for the last hour or so and I see now that reusing musical ideas was an epidemic for them. As great as Jan was in the studio, I think he struggled to write enough new songs to front a pop band. He was lucky, I think, to work with other great songwriters frequently.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 04:41:50 PM by Dada » Logged
damdamdam
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 04:56:31 PM »

I've just downloaded a boot. (Are we supposed to say that?) It'll be a few months before I get to the US to retrieve the Rhino copy I ordered at domestic postage rates -- I'm cheap!

Did Jan really write all the songs post-accident (except for "Only a Boy" and the covers)?

If so, it's haunting to hear some of them, like "Carnival of Sound" and "I Know My Mind" (and "Mother Earth" too), which I think must be about how he's trying to recover and find courage to go on.

I literally haven't listened to J&D for more than 20 years (I'm really not THAT old, but I liked them when I was a kid, which was way, way after their heyday, thank you very much -- I was a child bootleg collector. Smiley ).
Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 05:28:23 PM »

Jan always had good songwriting collaborators . . . while he juggled music with college and medical school.

Lyricist Roger Christian continued to work with Jan from '63 through Folk 'n Roll, Carnival of Sound (Warner Bros.), and into the 1970s on Jan's solo releases for Ode and A&M.

With Carnival of Sound, we can take the oldies out of the creative equation. By 1958, Jan was obsessed with black R&B artists . . . as his KJAN recordings illustrate. And by '66, he was starting to revisit some of his old favorites.

Songs like "Hawaii" and "Fan Tan" (recorded after the accident) used the old Jan & Dean/Beach Boys formula, tinged with sitar and psychedelic elements. The string arrangements on these tracks are incredible.

"Tijuana" doesn't count --  it was a throw-away riff on "Little Old Lady" that gave Jan an easy fourth side when he bootlegged his own material before signing with Warner Bros in '67. It was only included on the new release because Jan produced the vocal session in '67. This song was never inluded on any of the LP-length acetates Jan prepared for Carnival of Sound.

Tracks like "Girl, You're Blowin' My Mind" -- recording for which was begun in March 1966 before Jan's accident -- "Carnival of Sound, "Mulholland," "I Know My Mind" (sitar and Indian instrumentation) and "Love & Hate" (with the tack/honky-tonk piano) were much more progressive.

"Laurel & Hardy" swings between 3/4 and 4/4 time signatures, and incorporates the comedic film duo's "Dance of the Cuckoos" theme.

The album is aptly titled . . . an eclectic mix of styles.

Of the 14 completed songs on the album, Jan Berry (music and lyrics) co-wrote 10 of them. Aside from the oldies covers, co-writers on Jan's original compositions included Roger Christian (lyrics), Jill Gibson, Don Altfeld (lyrics), Fred Wieder (from the Batman album), David Weiss, Paul Freese, Steve Gaines, and Jan Hirsch.

M.

Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 05:41:51 PM »

I've just downloaded a boot. (Are we supposed to say that?) It'll be a few months before I get to the US to retrieve the Rhino copy I ordered at domestic postage rates -- I'm cheap!

Did Jan really write all the songs post-accident (except for "Only a Boy" and the covers)?

If so, it's haunting to hear some of them, like "Carnival of Sound" and "I Know My Mind" (and "Mother Earth" too), which I think must be about how he's trying to recover and find courage to go on.

I literally haven't listened to J&D for more than 20 years (I'm really not THAT old, but I liked them when I was a kid, which was way, way after their heyday, thank you very much -- I was a child bootleg collector. Smiley ).

The Carnival of Sound Sessions span from 1966 to 1968.

Recording for six of the tracks began in 1966 before Jan Berry's auto accident. Four were finished in '67, and 2 were finished in '68." ("Girl, You're Blowin' My Mind" was started in '66 before the accident).

Jan returned to the studio a year (to the month) after the accident.

Four of the tracks were recorded entirely in 1967 (minus one original backing track from '64).

Recording for another four tracks was begun in 1967, and finished in 1968.

As far as sonic quality, the bootlegs were sourced from very poor quality acetates. A lot of sonic detail is lost, so you'll hear a big difference on the Rhino release. Almost no one has heard this material from the original master tapes, or in the sound quality presented by Rhino.

This is a big-studio Wrecking Crew album recorded at Columbia, Wally Heider, United, Western, and Gold Star. Vocally, it features A-list studio singers like Glen Campbell, Tom Bahler, Ron Hicklin, Gwen Johnson, and others.

M.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 09:20:57 PM by Mark A. Moore » Logged

damdamdam
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 05:03:25 AM »

Mark, do you know which CoS songs were written entirely after the accident?
Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 04:58:23 PM »

Mark, do you know which CoS songs were written entirely after the accident?

Hawaii
Fan Tan
Love & Hate
Carnival of Sound
Mulholland
Laurel & Hardy
I Know My Mind

damdamdam
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 03:39:28 AM »

Wow. Thanks.
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 04:37:37 AM »

Heard the 'new' COS today and WOW! This is the way I always dreamt I'd hear these songs Smiley Crystal clear, lushly orchestrated psychedelic masterpieces that give some more insight into the lysergic madness that was the mid-1960's in the LA music community. Another slice of sunshine wonder that perfectly captures the mood that was abound in the city before the Sunset Strip riots and Manson murders

MBE
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 12:45:07 AM »

It's a great package. The vinyl LP is pressed really well and the pictures are terrific.
This is for Mark: Don't Drop It is listed as unknown but it was a Wilbert Harrison single writen by Terry Fell. You can play it on youtube and it's obvious that this was the same song Jan cut.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyZJ12Iqjmk&feature=related
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 12:47:39 AM by MBE » Logged
Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 08:19:30 AM »

It's a great package. The vinyl LP is pressed really well and the pictures are terrific.
This is for Mark: Don't Drop It is listed as unknown but it was a Wilbert Harrison single writen by Terry Fell. You can play it on youtube and it's obvious that this was the same song Jan cut.

That would be very interesting . . . a more obscure piece, as opposed to the well known covers. It does sound very similar. Having been a country tune originally, if finished, it would have fit with "Louisiana Man." Also with "Don't You Just Know It," which Jan first started recording in 1966 before the accident (and later finished with Brian Wilson).

Date-wise, "Don't Drop It" shouldn't have been listed as unknown, as I have the recording date for this track. It actually dates from the Batman sessions, but it's not listed by title on its specific tape box.

It WAS listed by title on the pre-accident stuff Jan brought over from Columbia in '67. But Jan abandoned the song early on, and WB had no documentation on it.

When listening to various "Don't Drop It" versions, the stops and starts in Jan's version always made me hesitant to pin a name on it.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2010, 08:32:11 AM »

Yeah, nice song. Jerry Lee Lewis cut a version while he was still on Sun Records. Don't think it was released back then though. Probably only when the catalogue was sold to Shelby Singleton in the late 60s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qlxi7SEUY2A

Got to get COS as soon as possible

EDIT:
BTW Mark, i this an official release?
http://www.amazon.com/Fun-City/dp/B001NKQK78/ref=sr_shvl_album_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1266018881&sr=301-5

Been a while since I was at the J&D-message board so I haven't read anything about this
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 09:19:21 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2010, 09:33:28 AM »

Yeah, nice song. Jerry Lee Lewis cut a version while he was still on Sun Records. Don't think it was released back then though. Probably only when the catalogue was sold to Shelby Singleton in the late 60s

EDIT:
http://www.amazon.com/Fun-City/dp/B001NKQK78/ref=sr_shvl_album_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1266018881&sr=301-5

Been a while since I was at the J&D-message board so I haven't read anything about this

I never bothered with this release, as I have the material elsewhere. But I understand Jim Pewter was involved, so it should be legitimate.

MBE
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2010, 09:30:59 PM »

EDIT:

The Jerry Lee version has been a long time favorite. It was first released on the Zu-Zazz label LP "Don''t Drop It" in 1988. That and the Zu-Zazz companion piece from 1987 "Keep Your Hands Off Of It" are two of the best Jerry Lee outakes LP's ever pressed.
A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2010, 12:59:51 PM »

I've never been a Jan and Dean fan. However, over the past couple of days I've listened to 'Fan Tan' and 'Mulholland' on YouTube, and they're really, really  good songs. Makes me think about getting the cd!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2010, 01:16:54 PM »

I've never been a Jan and Dean fan. However, over the past couple of days I've listened to 'Fan Tan' and 'Mulholland' on YouTube, and they're really, really  good songs. Makes me think about getting the cd!

Get it ! The material is really great. I'll get it as soon as I can

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2010, 09:27:19 PM »

Bean Bag's Big Image!

angel

Reading materials:  http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:0nfpxzwsldae

Money quote from above:  "And there are liner notes that put to shame almost any archival pop/rock release seen to date, in both their detail and underlying sense of wonder about the music. "

Rhino's only making 1500 copies available (in the U.S.?) of the BIG LP/CD package.  I got one.

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2010, 09:44:23 PM »

Mark Moore -- pardon my ignorance, as this may have been covered here or elsewhere -- but I believe I read you may have had a hand in getting this material released?  If so, and again pardon my sloppy research -- but I'd like to thank you.  Regardless of your involvement, I've seen many posts here by you that demonstrate great clarity and authority on J&D, which I can detect is beyond sincere  -- and I wanted to thank you. 

J&D and their fans are probably used to a thankless existence -- and to any degree that I can remedy that ,  I'd like to offer my appreciation.

angel

Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2010, 10:33:40 PM »

Thanks, Bean Bag . . .

Well, I co-wrote the liner notes for the current Carnival release (by far the most comprehensive Exposé on the album to date). 95% of the material in the Chronology section — plus all of the quotes from participants — comes from my research.

And I published a short piece on Carnival  in ESQ back in 2007 — which featured previously unknown and unpublished material.

I have all of the original music scores that were used by the Wrecking Crew to record the album, '66-'68 (and when I say I have them, it means that they come directly from Jan Berry's personal collection). We used these for the JB tribute album released in 2008, which includes covers of seven Carnival tracks.

And I've certainly blabbed here (and elsewhere) about Carnival and J&D in general . . . all part of my larger project in preparing a major  biography of Jan Berry.

So I hope I've helped advance the cause . . . But I'm not the only one.

Domenic Priore and Darian Sahanaja were enthusiastically spreading the cult of Carnival back in the '80s . . . a crucial time, just after the J&D movie (Deadman's Curve, '78) had completely ignored this era of Jan's recording career.

And Rhino briefly considered a Carnival release back in 2001 — an effort that fell apart almost as quickly as it started.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 10:34:44 PM by Mark A. Moore » Logged

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2010, 12:56:18 PM »

Awesome!  Thanks again for helping get this released.  I've been taken away by this stuff...just how fun and simply delightful this music is.  You can really hear Jan's devotion to it...whether it's a "serious" track or J&D just having a blast...it's all put together so well and with such care.

Yesterday, being the 44th anniversary of Jan's accident, makes all this so timely in a way for me.  I also picked up Save for a Rainy Day and have been ridin' a Jan & Dean tidal wave these last several days.  I also broke out my copy of the Complete Liberty Singles and so, naturally, I'm wondering what else I should look to next.

I'll definitely check out the recent tribute disc you mentioned -- and I can't wait for your book!  Are there any documentaries or DVD stuff out there?

3D

Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2010, 04:27:05 PM »

You should get all of their original albums . . . because in some cases, the non-single album cuts are better than the singles, in terms of arrangement, production, and vocals.

Examples of strong album cuts . . .

DRAG CITY
Surfin' Hearse
Surf Route 101

DEAD MAN'S CURVE / THE NEW GIRL IN SCHOOL
Three Window Coupe
Rockin' Little Roadster
"B" Gas Rickshaw - (Instrumental)

RIDE THE WILD SURF
Surfin' Wild
Skateboarding (Part 1) - (Instrumental)
Walk On the Wet Side - (Instrumental)

LITTLE OLD LADY FROM PASADENA
Horace, The Swingin' School-Bus Driver
One-Piece Topless Bathing Suit
Skateboarding (Part 2) - (Instrumental)
Old Ladies Seldom Power Shift - (Instrumental)

FOLK 'N ROLL
Where Were You When I Needed You
It Ain't Me Babe
Yesterday
Turn! Turn! Turn!

JAN & DEAN MEET BATMAN
Robin the Boy Wonder
Mr. Freeze - (Instrumental)
The Joker Is Wild

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2010, 09:11:09 PM »

Oh lord.  TRACK 11.  Stay

Guys, if you don't have this Carnival of Sound stuff.  Don't fluck around.  This is the best fuggin' version of Stay I've ever heard!!!!!!!!!!!!  Jan was a genius!!!!!

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2010, 09:13:04 PM »

Perfection

« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 09:14:45 PM by Bean Bag » Logged

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx