gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:29:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tracks Absent from GV Boxset  (Read 7844 times)
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2010, 09:19:22 AM »

Was "Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again" considered for inclusion in the box set?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2010, 09:54:15 AM »

2) If so, couldn't he have gone back into the studio and fixed it for the box set? 
Yes. Very, very, very easily. It's why I've never bought the excuse that that flub was the reason the track was never released. I totally understand that such a flub could be a reason for not including it as-is: that makes sense. I can see that if the choices were as-is or not at all, he could have (and apparently did) prefer not to release it. But seriously ... not exactly a tricky thing to fix, especially back at the time, had they wanted to use it.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2010, 10:21:56 AM »

I totally agree.  I believe the non-inclusion of "Soulful Old Man Sunshine" on the GV box (and honestly, the reason it wasn't ever finished and released in the first place) was really about the group's feeling that it was more a Rick-Henn-production-with-Beach-Boys-vocals than a Beach Boys record.  The "shunshine" just served as an excuse.

Lee
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2010, 10:29:13 AM »

I totally agree.  I believe the non-inclusion of "Soulful Old Man Sunshine" on the GV box (and honestly, the reason it wasn't ever finished and released in the first place) was really about the group's feeling that it was more a Rick-Henn-production-with-Beach-Boys-vocals than a Beach Boys record.  The "shunshine" just served as an excuse.

Lee

Possibly... but bear in mind that it was Carl personally - and not the band - who vetoed the inclusion. My thinking is that he wasn't too happy with the whole lead (remember, it's not a finished vocal but rather a compilation of work vocals, and there was already one such track on the box) and used "shunsine" as a trojan horse.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2010, 11:13:23 AM »

Soulful Old Man Sunshine was one of those unreleased songs that those who heard it praised as a hidden masterpiece. Then it comes out and... meh.

But who knows where would it have gone if finished.

And if the no-release reason is that it's a Henn number with BB vocals, I agree because it is. And if the no-release reason is that Carl thought it lacked a proper lead, I agree because it did.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2010, 11:13:40 AM »

We know that Carl had to fight to get the Dennis tracks on, so the fact that we got any more than "Forever" is really a sign of his input.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2010, 06:14:44 PM »

Soulful Old Man Sunshine was one of those unreleased songs that those who heard it praised as a hidden masterpiece. Then it comes out and... meh.

But who knows where would it have gone if finished.

And if the no-release reason is that it's a Henn number with BB vocals, I agree because it is. And if the no-release reason is that Carl thought it lacked a proper lead, I agree because it did.

Speak for yourself, fiend. >: (

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2010, 07:34:11 PM »

Correct... which is why "Soulful Old Man Sunshine" wasn't on there: Carl said "no".

1) Did Carl say "no" because of that one small gaffe, where he sings "Soulful old man SHUNSHINE?"

2) If so, couldn't he have gone back into the studio and fixed it for the box set?  The way the Who finally fixed that infamous bad edit in "Eminence Front" when they rereleased IT'S HARD on CD in the mid-1990s?

I read somewhere that Carl never liked Soulful Old Man Sunshine, even when he was singing it he thought it was a vegas lounge-style number that didn't suit the Beach Boys.  So I'm not surpised he vetoed it.
Jason
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2010, 08:26:37 PM »

As far as then-unreleased songs considered for inclusion on the GV box, we already know that Loop De Loop and Soulful Old Man Sunshine were vetoed by Al and Carl respectively. Of course if any other Smile bits could have been added, they would have, presumably.

What other then-unissued songs were put up for inclusion on the box?
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2010, 10:50:58 PM »

Was Al not ready with Loop De Loop yet? I know he finally "finished it" for the EH soundtrack...but really, the "landlocked" cut is pretty good....Also, couldn't they have put the Sail Plane Song on the GV set? would have been great shoved in between I went To Sleep - Time To get Alone - Breakaway

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2010, 03:54:41 AM »

I read somewhere that Carl never liked Soulful Old Man Sunshine, even when he was singing it he thought it was a vegas lounge-style number that didn't suit the Beach Boys.  So I'm not surpised he vetoed it.

That may have been from the interview I did with Rick Henn in the June '97 issue of ESQ, or maybe a similar interview with Stephen McParland from the same period.  Rick said that while Carl was attempting the lead vocal, Mike would be dancing a silly "Vegas shuffle" across the floor in front of him, to the point where Carl would crack up and blow the take.  Rick finally got so pissed off at all the hijinx and lack of urgency that he blew up and yelled at the group...and that's the last he ever saw of them in the studio.

Rick also felt that the song never got finished because the Beach Boys didn't like the fact that Murry and Nick Grillo were pushing to have an outsider work with them.  He said he was told that the song was vetoed off of the GV boxed set because the set's content had been reduced by one CD, and there was no room for it -- but that may have just been a political answer to avoid hurt feelings.

Lee
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2010, 06:04:18 AM »

As far as then-unreleased songs considered for inclusion on the GV box, we already know that Loop De Loop and Soulful Old Man Sunshine were vetoed by Al and Carl respectively. Of course if any other Smile bits could have been added, they would have, presumably.

What other then-unissued songs were put up for inclusion on the box?

They found "Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again" at the time, but I don't think it was seriously considered. 
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2010, 10:06:09 AM »

Sorry if I'm a bit late in the discussion, but I've got a few thoughts on the boxset.

When it first came out, did anyone else find it odd that there were lyrics quoted from the Sunflower version of "Cool Cool Water" in the booklet, yet it was not included among the tracks?  I understand why it wasn't included, when we already had the earlier unreleased version and "I Love to Say Dada" (if you want to count that).  It just makes me wonder if the Sunflower version had ever been considered. 

Actually, if it were down to adding (or substituting) a Sunflower track, my vote would have been for "All I Wanna Do".  The boxset was my introduction to Sunflower (among other things), and although the included songs piqued my interest somewhat, they took a while to grow on me.  I think AIWD would've sealed the deal for me, and I would have seeked out Sunflower much sooner than just a few years ago.

Another thought....is there absolutely no love for the song "Still Cruisin'" (hey I just made an unintentional pun, but I'll go with it!)?  I gotta admit, I'm starting to get a little burned out on "Kokomo".  I know SC wasn't the runaway hit that "Kokomo" was, but it was a single and it did appear briefly in the background in one of the "Lethal Weapon" movies (I think it was 2.
Jason
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2010, 11:08:50 AM »

Well, as far as Cool Cool Water, they already had the Wild Honey "master" on the box. But at the same time, they also had Brian's piano/vocal Surf's Up as well as the first movement backing track, along with the version on the Surf's Up LP. Consistency issues for sure, but who knows?

Still Cruisin' is a cool song. Of course, it's totally derivative of better things and at times it feels like a car song version of Getcha Back, but it's a fun tune.

It would have been nice if the Wild Honey outtakes on the Rarities album would have been reissued on the box, but I suppose they were either never considered due to the album's questionable legal status at the time or just left off in place of better rare material.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2010, 03:34:02 PM »

Btw, how did Leaf get involved? Was it through Brian? I know most of the band hates him anyway. I always found it funny that Brian went out of his way to thank Paley in the liners. Like he had all that much to do with the boxset  Grin

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2010, 02:58:20 AM »

1. Lonely Sea (instead of Punchline, which could have been saved for a later comp)
2. Your Summer Dream (instead of The Surfer Moon...a baffling inclusion)
3. Car Crazy Cutie (instead of Spirit Of America)
4. Kiss Me Baby (Instead of Things We Did Last Summer...a nice track, but totally sounded out of place on Disc 1)
5. Here Today (instead of Ruby Baby and all the "oink oinks")
6. Little Pad (Instead of With Me Tonight)
7. Wake The World (Instead of Busy Doin' Nothin)
8. Soulful Old Man Sunshine (instead of HELP Is on the way)
9. Feel Flows (instead of I Went To Sleep)
10. Roller Skating Child (instead of That Same Song)

I also think that the later years could have been represented better...here are some songs I would have included, if space had allowed:
Keepin The Summer Alive, Full Sail, Still Cruisin, California Dreamin, Lady Lynda (an international hit).

I also would have included the single versions of California Saga, Rock And Roll Music, and It's OK, instead of the inferior album versions.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 03:01:00 AM by Eric Aniversario » Logged
tomstuart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2010, 03:13:23 AM »

'Roller skating child'? Seriously? Nice tune but those lyrics!! Creepy in the extreme. I'd say Johnny Carson shoulda been on. It represents Love You better than any other track - very weird; crazy lyrics; catchy tune.

Re earlier posts: Agreed, All I Wanna Do is an amazing track. I'd like to have seen Sunflower represented thus: Slip on through, This whole world, All I wanna do, Forever, Cool cool water. Although i realise Add some music... couldn't really be missed off (although personally i agree with the author of 'Dumb Angel' that it sounds 'like a Coke commercial').

Wouldn't it be nice to live again should've been on for sure (surely its more worthy of an audience and more appealing to fans than I just got my pay (aka a rehashed Dressed up for school) or HELP is on its way. Also, Carry Me Home would've been very welcome indeed, though i'm sure Mike would've vetoed its inclusion immediately (left-wing AND by Dennis!).

« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 03:17:30 AM by tomstuart » Logged
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2010, 10:33:37 AM »

Re earlier posts: Agreed, All I Wanna Do is an amazing track. I'd like to have seen Sunflower represented thus: Slip on through, This whole world, All I wanna do, Forever, Cool cool water. Although i realise Add some music... couldn't really be missed off (although personally i agree with the author of 'Dumb Angel' that it sounds 'like a Coke commercial').

I think that the importance of Add Some Music To Your Day has been highly inflated over the years...beautiful harmonies, but the lyrics sound forced to my ears.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2010, 01:07:01 PM »

1. Lonely Sea (instead of Punchline, which could have been saved for a later comp)
2. Your Summer Dream (instead of The Surfer Moon...a baffling inclusion)
3. Car Crazy Cutie (instead of Spirit Of America)
4. Kiss Me Baby (Instead of Things We Did Last Summer...a nice track, but totally sounded out of place on Disc 1)
5. Here Today (instead of Ruby Baby and all the "oink oinks")
6. Little Pad (Instead of With Me Tonight)
7. Wake The World (Instead of Busy Doin' Nothin)
8. Soulful Old Man Sunshine (instead of HELP Is on the way)
9. Feel Flows (instead of I Went To Sleep)
10. Roller Skating Child (instead of That Same Song)

I also think that the later years could have been represented better...here are some songs I would have included, if space had allowed:
Keepin The Summer Alive, Full Sail, Still Cruisin, California Dreamin, Lady Lynda (an international hit).

I also would have included the single versions of California Saga, Rock And Roll Music, and It's OK, instead of the inferior album versions.

Excellent thoughts and choices. I agree with all - except one. I'd keep "With Me Tonight" instead of "Little Pad". But, actually, I wouldn't of picked "With Me Tonight" in the first place. police
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2010, 01:24:31 PM »

I wouldn't of picked "With Me Tonight" in the first place. police
I'm sorry, I really don't want to appear anal, but it is wouldn't HAVE. Not OF.

And I can't support the exclusion of "Busy Doin' Nothin"

slothrop
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2010, 03:45:39 PM »

Ironically, Cool, Cool Water (one of my favorites btw) was actually supposed to be used for a Coke commercial. "It's the real thing, Coca-Cola," apparently is how it went. Both Bruce and Al sing snippets of it on the Warmth of the Sun podcasts.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx