gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:26:29 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tracks Absent from GV Boxset  (Read 7843 times)
tomstuart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 24, 2010, 02:49:35 AM »

Apologises if this topic has been discussed previously.

The GV Boxset is of course great, but i felt there were a number of songs that didn't really deserve to be on there, and a healthy portion of ones that certainly did - but weren't.

So 10 (and please stick to 10) tracks that you would've like to have seen included on the boxset, and why they deserved to be there. Here's mine:

1. Lonely Sea (A fantastic, gorgeous early Brian ballad, very under-rated)
2. Don't Talk (One the best Pet Sounds tracks, beautiful song)
3. Mrs O'Leary's Cow (The most legendary of all the SMiLE tracks - perhaps considered a bit too much for the casual listener??)
4. She's Goin' Bald (One of my very favourite Smiley Smile tracks, as usual this album was completely undervalued)
5. Country Air (Why does Wild Honey only get three tracks? It's a superb album, and this is one of it's best tracks)
6. Be Here In The Mornin' (Fantastic cut from Friends. Meant For You is so short, surely there was room for one more from this much-loved album?)
7. Mona Kanua (Great Dennis instrumental from the 20/20 period. More deserving of an official release than the likes of I Just Got My Pay)
8. Slip On Through (It's widely acknoledged Dennis ruled on Sunflower - so why does he only get the single track (Forever)? This amazing opener is probably the best cut on the album, and it's exclusion is a sign of the blatant Brian favourtism that persists even when Brian isn't at the top of his game.
9. Feel Flows (Spectacular track. Absolutely amazing, very ahead of it's time!)
10. My Diane (By some distance the best MIU track - so why Al's lame Come Go With Me?)
Nicko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 03:26:52 AM »

1. Lonely Sea (A fantastic, gorgeous early Brian ballad, very under-rated

I think it's been mentioned recently on the board that it's believed that Gary Usher wrote most of this one.

They included a lot of songs from Pet Sounds to be fair and couldn't really please everyone there.

3. Mrs O'Leary's Cow (The most legendary of all the SMiLE tracks - perhaps considered a bit too much for the casual listener??)

I may well be wrong but I can't think that Capitol wouldn't have wanted this included. Brian's decision maybe?

4. She's Goin' Bald (One of my very favourite Smiley Smile tracks, as usual this album was completely undervalued))

They included 3 from that album I think and also the superior versions of several Smile songs. I think that was certainly enough.

8. Slip On Through (It's widely acknoledged Dennis ruled on Sunflower - so why does he only get the single track (Forever)? This amazing opener is probably the best cut on the album, and it's exclusion is a sign of the blatant Brian favourtism that persists even when Brian isn't at the top of his game.)

Is it? Obviously Forever is considered to be a classic but I don't think Dennis' other contributions are considered to be better than the likes of This Whole World, All I Wanna Do, Cool Cool Water etc. Personally I wouldn't rank Sllip on Through as one of my favourites from that LP.

10. My Diane (By some distance the best MIU track - so why Al's lame Come Go With Me?)

It was a top-20 hit. Simply as that.

I agree about I Just Got My Pay though.
Nicko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 03:38:16 AM »

I feel that The BBs' career has had 4 distinct eras so I would have structured the box set accordingly.

CD 1 - Fun in the sun.
CD 2 - Brian's mature work (Today through to Smile).
CD 3 - The group years.
CD 4 - The wilderness era.

Some of the later stuff that I would have liked to have been there includes It's a Beautiful Day, Where I Belong, Rock and Roll to the Rescue, Morning Christmas, Winter Symphony, Somewhere Near Japan etc. I guess that some of this stuff was unavailable to the label though and some was being saved for Ultimate Christmas and a rarities album (which has never been released to my knowledge).
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 03:40:54 AM »

I refuse to buy it because of the lack of "Wrinkles".

Edit: Okay, come on, if you were gonna edit my post, you could have at least edited out the "lossless" comment, which makes no sense without the following comment and just makes me sound like a bad person.

SMILE-HOLLAND, I'M GOING TO CRACK YOU OVER THE HEAD WITH MY KARATE STICK >: (
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 05:32:34 AM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 06:01:43 AM »

1. Back Home (from Surfer Girl era)
2. Kiss Me Baby
3. Aren't You Glad
4. Celebrate the News
5. Keepin' the Summer Alive (live at Knebworth)
6. Child Of Winter
7. Just Once in My Life
8. River Song (with Beach Boys)
9. It's a Beautiful Day
10. Chasin' the Sky
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 11:33:04 AM by punkinhead » Logged

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Dr. Tim
Smiley Smile Associate

"Would you put a loud count on it for us please?"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 10:08:41 AM »

The GV boxset book says Brian specifically vetoed "Let Him Run Wild", and I believe Mark Linett told us Brian also vetoed the Fire music's inclusion.  Had they insisted otherwise over his veto,  all of the Smile session stuff would have gone too.  I think Andrew tells us each surviving BB had the option to veto any track's inclusion.

Hey kids! Remember:
mono mixes suck donkey dick
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 10:58:54 AM »

2. Kiss Me Baby
3. Aren't You Glad

Agreed!

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 11:33:01 AM »

The GV boxset book says Brian specifically vetoed "Let Him Run Wild", and I believe Mark Linett told us Brian also vetoed the Fire music's inclusion.  Had they insisted otherwise over his veto,  all of the Smile session stuff would have gone too.  I think Andrew tells us each surviving BB had the option to veto any track's inclusion.

Correct... which is why "Soulful Old Man Sunshine" wasn't on there: Carl said "no". Same for Alan and "Loop De Loop".

Brian didn't veto the Fire Music, for the excellent reason that it was never on any track listing: David Leaf told me they were pushing for so much Smile stuff anyway, they figured it'd be counter-productive. I was also told (not by DL) that it took a week of gentle persuasion to get Brian to OK any Smile at all.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 11:42:51 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 11:41:40 AM »

The criteria for inclusion on the box were as follows:

1 - Top 40 single hits
2 - acknowledged "classic" tracks
3 - available rarities/unreleased tracks
4 - tracks chosen by fans worldwide (either as a tie-breaker or to plug gaps)

The SIP material wasn't ever considered because (aside from the obvious*), it was less than a year old when the box was released. As it happened, if you bought the box via QVC, you got SIP as a freebie.

Two personal insights here - "All This Is That" wouldn't have been included if Mike Grant (longtime UK hardcore collector) hadn't given DL a hard time about it... and I got a call from David, from the Capitol mastering suite, asking me which was the correct version of "Come Go..." to use. Turns out everyone thought the others knew.   Grin

(* - it sucks)

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 11:55:06 AM »

Like which Come Go with Me: on MIU or the intended 15 Big Ones version  (which is far superior in my opinion)

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010, 02:07:12 PM »

Like which Come Go with Me: on MIU or the intended 15 Big Ones version  (which is far superior in my opinion)

They wanted to know which was the hit single version. They had both tapes.  Grin

tomstuart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 02:46:44 PM »

1. Lonely Sea (A fantastic, gorgeous early Brian ballad, very under-rated

I think it's been mentioned recently on the board that it's believed that Gary Usher wrote most of this one.

They included a lot of songs from Pet Sounds to be fair and couldn't really please everyone there.

I may well be wrong but I can't think that Capitol wouldn't have wanted this included. Brian's decision maybe?

4. She's Goin' Bald (One of my very favourite Smiley Smile tracks, as usual this album was completely undervalued))

They included 3 from that album I think and also the superior versions of several Smile songs. I think that was certainly enough.

8. Slip On Through (It's widely acknoledged Dennis ruled on Sunflower - so why does he only get the single track (Forever)? This amazing opener is probably the best cut on the album, and it's exclusion is a sign of the blatant Brian favourtism that persists even when Brian isn't at the top of his game.)

Is it? Obviously Forever is considered to be a classic but I don't think Dennis' other contributions are considered to be better than the likes of This Whole World, All I Wanna Do, Cool Cool Water etc. Personally I wouldn't rank Sllip on Through as one of my favourites from that LP.

It was a top-20 hit. Simply as that.

I agree about I Just Got My Pay though.

You were meant to pick your own ten, not complain about other people's choices. And yeh, Slip on Through's one of the best Sunflower tracks by some distance. It's About Time is also great, though i agree with you re All I Wanna Do, damn good tune! But u aren't really counting Good Vibrations as a 'Smiley Smile track' there are u? I mean, yeh it was on the album, but it wasn't from the SS sessions and Brian, allegedly, didn't even want it on Smiley. The single Heroes & Villians, plus With Me Tonight, do not a fair representation of an album make. And er yeh, there was a lot of Pet Sounds material on there, and I think, in my personal opinion which is what this is, that Don't Talk shoulda been amongst said material.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 02:58:07 PM by tomstuart » Logged
A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2010, 03:52:24 PM »

You know, 'Slip On Through' and 'This Whole World' is a pretty damn good 1-2 punch to start off an album!
Nicko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2010, 04:55:31 PM »

You were meant to pick your own ten, not complain about other people's choices. And yeh, Slip on Through's one of the best Sunflower tracks by some distance. It's About Time is also great, though i agree with you re All I Wanna Do, damn good tune! But u aren't really counting Good Vibrations as a 'Smiley Smile track' there are u? I mean, yeh it was on the album, but it wasn't from the SS sessions and Brian, allegedly, didn't even want it on Smiley. The single Heroes & Villians, plus With Me Tonight, do not a fair representation of an album make. And er yeh, there was a lot of Pet Sounds material on there, and I think, in my personal opinion which is what this is, that Don't Talk shoulda been amongst said material.

Apologies if you were affronted but it is a message board.

I think you would agree that She's Going Bald doesn't fit into any of the criteria that AGD mentioned. Don't Talk would have been a fair enough inclusion but any song from Pet Sounds that was omitted would have been hard done by.

Nicko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2010, 04:58:40 PM »

Two personal insights here - "All This Is That" wouldn't have been included if Mike Grant (longtime UK hardcore collector) hadn't given DL a hard time about it... and I got a call from David, from the Capitol mastering suite, asking me which was the correct version of "Come Go..." to use. Turns out everyone thought the others knew. 

Didn't DL state in the liner notes though that he recognized All This is That as being the best song that the band did without Brian? So I guess the only reason he wasn't planning to include it was because Brian didn't write it. The man is a turd on legs.
MBE
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2010, 09:59:44 PM »

There wasn't enough Dennis stuff, I think Here Today, Celebrate The News, Slip On Through they all should have been there. I also didn't like when they took stuff out of order like the Holland and So Tough songs.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2010, 05:04:57 AM »

yeah, what was the deal with that?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

tomstuart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2010, 06:15:11 AM »

Apologies if you were affronted but it is a message board.
I think you would agree that She's Going Bald doesn't fit into any of the criteria that AGD mentioned. Don't Talk would have been a fair enough inclusion but any song from Pet Sounds that was omitted would have been hard done by.

Not affronted, just baffled as to how my asking for people to choose their own personal top ten tracks that were excluded from GV instead resulting in a load of nit-picking re my own choices. I was just like Err how does that answer my question?? I'm not neccasarily gonna agree with everyone elses choices either but i wanna hear 'em.
 Yeh i know there was a criteria re what went on and what didn't but my question, entirely hypethetical, was If you could include any ten BB tracks that weren't included which would u pick and why.
(And re the Criteria - well, there's lots of album tracks featured on the boxset that don't fit said criteria. My point, which i think still stands, is that Smiley Smile was, and remains, entirely unrepresented when it comes to compilations, best ofs, boxsets, etc. whioch is ridiculous considering how much it is loved by fans.)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 06:20:56 AM by tomstuart » Logged
lupinofan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2010, 07:31:02 AM »

And er yeh, there was a lot of Pet Sounds material on there, and I think, in my personal opinion which is what this is, that Don't Talk shoulda been amongst said material.

The only criticism of the box I saw in the UK music papers at the time (certainly in "Record Collector" and "Melody Maker" who both carried extensive reviews) was that this set would largely be bought by the kind of hardcore fans who already owned "Pet Sounds" at least once, and were therefore expected to buy a large percentage of it again.

I always wondered what went wrong with "Long Promised Road." The beginning is missing, if memory serves correctly.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2010, 07:48:02 AM »

yeah, what was the deal with that?

I asked back when I was a newbie fan in the far off year of 1995 (!), and was told that it was become it sounded better with SOS as the opener rather than Mess of help.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2010, 09:06:11 AM »

thats what i thought was the reason

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2010, 10:52:12 AM »

8. Slip On Through (It's widely acknoledged Dennis ruled on Sunflower - so why does he only get the single track (Forever)? This amazing opener is probably the best cut on the album, and it's exclusion is a sign of the blatant Brian favourtism that persists even when Brian isn't at the top of his game.
I agree. I think This Whole World, Forever and Add Some Music were musts from Sunflower, but Slip on Through should definitely be ahead of Our Sweet Love. Our Sweet Love is a great Brian tune with a fabulous vocal from Carl, but there are plenty of both on the box sedt. Slip on Through is an uptempo Dennis song with one of his all-time best vocals (second only to Sound of Free in my book), so it would have made a much better choice.

Others that should have made it (besides Let Him Run Wild) are Girls on the Beach, Kiss Me Baby and Where I Belong.
slothrop
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2010, 11:25:57 AM »

From Sunflower "All I Wanna Do" definitely should have been on there, or on some comp by now.

And "Kiss Me, Baby" definitely, a highlight of that album.

Among others.
MBE
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2010, 08:56:33 PM »

From Sunflower "All I Wanna Do" definitely should have been on there, or on some comp by now.

And "Kiss Me, Baby" definitely, a highlight of that album.

Among others.
All I Wanna Do should have been manditory.
Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2010, 06:12:18 AM »

Correct... which is why "Soulful Old Man Sunshine" wasn't on there: Carl said "no".

1) Did Carl say "no" because of that one small gaffe, where he sings "Soulful old man SHUNSHINE?"

2) If so, couldn't he have gone back into the studio and fixed it for the box set?  The way the Who finally fixed that infamous bad edit in "Eminence Front" when they rereleased IT'S HARD on CD in the mid-1990s?

Glenn
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx