gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 09:44:20 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 70s and 80s albums: Vinyl vs. Two-fer CDs  (Read 4602 times)
analogdemon
Smiley Smile Associate

I've been in this town so long...

View Profile
« on: February 26, 2006, 12:50:15 PM »

Okay am I the only one who has noticed that some of the CD two-fers have the EQ turned up and they're not quite as heavy on the bass?

I compared all the 70s and 80s albums that I have on vinyl (Surf's Up, Holland, 15BO, Love You, LA, KTSA and 85) to the 2000 two-fer remastered versions.  On every album except 85, it sounds like they definitely turned the EQ up for the CD and also the remastering process on the CDs seem to have taken a bit of low end out of the songs.

The less bass is definitely very noticeable on 15 Big Ones and KTSA.  I've never been a big fan of 15 Big Ones, but I'd never heard it so good as I did when I put on the vinyl yesterday.  The CD version just sounds so sterile.

Also, LA doesn't sound quite so polished on vinyl.  It sounds a bit more raw than the CD I think.

Has anyone else noticed the sound differences between the vinyl and the remastered CD two-fers?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2006, 12:51:51 PM by analogdemon » Logged

I once had a dream so I packed up and split for the city.  I soon found out that my lonely life wasn't so pretty.
Beckner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 08:36:12 PM »

Yes, Desper isn't shitting us on "Sunflower" and "Surf's Up"-- those albums are stunning to the point of weeping on good quality LP.
analogdemon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 06:39:07 AM »

Yes, Desper isn't merdating us on "Sunflower" and "Surf's Up"-- those albums are stunning to the point of weeping on good quality LP.

I haven't heard the US Reprise vinyl for Sunflower, but I have a first pressing of Surf's Up and I agree, it beats the ever-loving merda out of the CD.  I have no idea what they did during the remastering, but it really zaps the life out of the music.

I once had a dream so I packed up and split for the city.  I soon found out that my lonely life wasn't so pretty.
Beckner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2006, 07:52:09 AM »

Guess you haven't heard the "Pet Sounds" pressing that comes with CATP? Ian sold me on that and true believer, it's the best sounding PS I've ever heard!
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2006, 07:59:52 AM »

Beck, have you ever compared that pressing of PS with the mono transfer on the DVD-Audio??  Just wondering how it compares.

CDs do lose a helping of soul in the transfer, I think -- but DVD-audio, much less so.  But then again...that pressing of PS is sourced differently, right?

Beckner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2006, 08:06:09 AM »

I don't have the DVD audio Undecided

I just know it beats the original Capitol Mono pressing I have, in spades. CATP/PS is a gen closer to the master-- I think that's right. All I know is it sounds stunning. Rich, and full and clean.
analogdemon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2006, 10:39:43 AM »

I don't have the DVD audio Undecided

I just know it beats the original Capitol Mono pressing I have, in spades. CATP/PS is a gen closer to the master-- I think that's right. All I know is it sounds stunning. Rich, and full and clean.

I can tell you that the mono on the DVD-Audio is stunning.  But whether or not it's better than the CATP pressing, I don't know as I've never heard it.

TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2006, 12:26:52 PM »

I don't usually buy the vinyl-snob argument that records always sound better then CD's because those people that have told me that, have to spend hundreds of dollars on equipment, preamps, etc.. to make the case.   I have a nice stero with a Numark, and some stuff just sounds bad...

BUT...

I will say there may be something to this thread.  I used to wear out my LOVE YOU vinyl but after getting it on the CD with the merda "15 Big Ones," I hardly ever play it.  I'm just not in the mood.  Maybe if it came first on the disc, or maybe if it was by itself..  because I always feel like I am starting it on SIDE 2 by skipping to track 16 all the time.  Maybe it's the sound of it that isn't the same.  I can't define WHAT, but I'm thinking that's my new excuse.
Alan Boyd
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2006, 01:02:11 PM »

On the CD reissues of KTSA, I noticed, sadly, that they toned down the wild bass drum hits that Desper added to "When Girls Get Together."

When I first played the vinyl, those low notes made the whole room shake - but they didn't distort at all.  Steve confirmed that he did that very deliberately.

But on the CD, it's just little thumps....
SurferGirl7
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2006, 01:07:23 PM »

Vinyl was always better. Though WH is better on CD.
al
Smiley Smile Associate

Home again Home again jiggety jig...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2006, 01:22:54 PM »

Hang on a minute. I still have my LP collection (over 1000 albums) and love them - took me till the mid 90's to start buying CD's in fact, but lets not over mythologise them. They jump, they get scratched, they warp, I had to take them back numerous times to get a copy that was perfect, and the sleeves were often bent when you got them.

Also, is it just me or were US pressings always crap? I've got a lot of US imports and the number of decent pressings amongst them is very low. They were inevitably full of surface noise - I've got the US Pet Sounds/CATP double and both LPs are very crackly, which pretty much wipes out any advantage it might have otherwise sonically. UK pressings were excellent by comparison and German ones even better. (Apart from RCA and their thin wobbly ones.)

At least with a CD you almost always get a perfect copy first time. For everything you lose on vinyl you also gain - no background noise, crackles, pops, scratches, jumps etc.
You don't have to get up half way through and turn it over and you can edit out the crap tracks! (not that i do  - I still have that LP mentality where you play the whole thing through whatever!)

On the other hand, I got a copy of The River on CD the other day finally and couldn't believe how weak it sounded compared to the LP........

Beckner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2006, 04:07:59 PM »

Also, is it just me or were US pressings always crap? I've got a lot of US imports and the number of decent pressings amongst them is very low. They were inevitably full of surface noise - I've got the US Pet Sounds/CATP double and both LPs are very crackly, which pretty much wipes out any advantage it might have otherwise sonically. UK pressings were excellent by comparison and German ones even better. (Apart from RCA and their thin wobbly ones.)

Well, Steve Desper was saying how any BBs LPs pressed in other countries (other than US) were pressed from copies of the master. So the best sounding "Sunflower" was the 1st pressing US copy and so on. And I gotta tell ya, the Capitol vinyl I have is by and large unimpressive (not just BBs, Beatles too) and hasn't held up over the ensuing years but the Reprise records I have are all great-- incl. that CATP/PS.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2006, 07:44:43 AM »

Maybe if it came first on the disc, or maybe if it was by itself..  because I always feel like I am starting it on SIDE 2 by skipping to track 16 all the time.  Maybe it's the sound of it that isn't the same.  I can't define WHAT, but I'm thinking that's my new excuse.

I totaly agree with you.  I have thus made a Love You ONLY copy.  Not that I don't love 15BGs, but you know...if me wants Love You....

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx