gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 03:21:35 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Classic Seletcted By BW  (Read 7014 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2010, 07:11:45 AM »

I also never understood why the 'Smiley Smile' version was chosen over the 'Smile' version.

Probably because that was the released version and the "Smile"-recording wasn't finished in Brian's eyes for whatever reason. It's the artists deciding (in the best scenario)

It would not surprise me at all if he'd heard the Smile version much more often over the years than the SS version.

Well, at least it's interesting to note that he recorded the Smile-arrangement for IJWMFTT

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2010, 07:24:28 AM »

I also never understood why the 'Smiley Smile' version was chosen over the 'Smile' version.

Probably because that was the released version and the "Smile"-recording wasn't finished in Brian's eyes for whatever reason. It's the artists deciding (in the best scenario)

It would not surprise me at all if he'd heard the Smile version much more often over the years than the SS version.

Well, at least it's interesting to note that he recorded the Smile-arrangement for IJWMFTT

Yep! I was amazed at the time about that choice, and I found it strange that very few reviews made a point of it.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2010, 08:33:13 AM »

I wonder if that was done more specifically for the film than the soundtrack. It's the point in the film where they are discussing Smile, so it seemed natural they would use that arrangement to help show what Smile was supposed to be.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2010, 08:37:01 AM »

I wonder if that was done more specifically for the film than the soundtrack. It's the point in the film where they are discussing Smile, so it seemed natural they would use that arrangement to help show what Smile was supposed to be.

What if Brian had pulled a stack of tapes and acetates out of a safe, showed them to us, the viewers, and then had them locked away again, and subsequently had thrown the key in a vat of sulphuric acid? Would have made a great movie scene, wouldn't it?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2010, 09:01:41 AM »

I don't think that they used the "wrong" version of 'Time To Get Alone'. The '20/20' version is the definitive one and the 'Hawthorne' version is, even if you personally like it better, work in progress so it makes sense that they used the more familiar version.

For me, the definitive "Time To Get Alone" is Mark Linnet's recent remix on THE BEACH BOYS LOVE SONGS. I think the point of CLASSICS was to show the growth and diversity of Brian Wilson throughout the time period when most people associated the Beach Boys with "Fun, Fun, Fun" and little else. It's really an eye-opener for those raised solely on ENDLESS SUMMER or 20 GOLDEN GREATS.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2010, 10:52:33 AM »

For me the best "Hits" comp ever put out was "The Platinium Collection", which may or may not have been a UK only release. Standard surf stuff on CD1, then PS to 20/20 on CD2. Then CD3 picks up where most hits comps leave off with one or two tracks from the 70's stuff and ending with "Getcha Back" and "Kokomo". CD3 turned me from a casual fan into the obessive nut I am today as it made want to seek out all the great 'hidden' stuff they had done.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2010, 11:31:18 AM »

For me, the definitive "Time To Get Alone" is Mark Linnet's recent remix on THE BEACH BOYS LOVE SONGS.

No, no and no again - the glorious resonance of "deep and wide" is reduced to an impotent whimper. I refuse to believe Brian listened to this and said "fine".

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2010, 12:42:52 PM »

For me it's the Hawthorne version...gorgeous.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
tomstuart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2010, 02:18:34 PM »

No no no. As always, its the original non-screwed about with, non-digitally remastered version that's the best. Leave 'em alone!! That's my opinion...
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2010, 05:02:37 AM »

def going with the official version of time to get alone. 
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2010, 05:20:41 AM »

No no no. As always, its the original non-screwed about with, non-digitally remastered version that's the best. Leave 'em alone!! That's my opinion...

Aren't most people talking about the alternate mix? That's not a remaster.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2010, 05:49:14 AM »

For me, the definitive "Time To Get Alone" is Mark Linnet's recent remix on THE BEACH BOYS LOVE SONGS.

No, no and no again - the glorious resonance of "deep and wide" is reduced to an impotent whimper. I refuse to believe Brian listened to this and said "fine".

I'm not a fan of things being screwed with for no reason and I was very wary when folks on this board were distressed over this remix (especially the "deep and wide" moment). But when I finally heard it myself...I thought it was great! Of course, it's possible that I felt the original "deep and wide" echo effect was a tad over-the-top.  Wink
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 05:50:58 AM by Roger Ryan » Logged
B-Rex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2010, 07:49:21 AM »

I haven't made up my mind yet on the new remaster of Time to Get Alone vs. the version on Classics.  I stick by Hawthorne as being definitive not just because of the wonderful fade but the horn break as well.  It's so much cleaner than the 20/20 or box set versions.  Why it wasn't used on Friends I find absolutely baffling.  Friends was such a short album in length that nothing need be dropped to accomodate it.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2010, 08:15:36 AM »

All three mixes have their big amount of pros and their trivial cons, really. I like them all.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx