gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:33:19 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "A mid winter´s dream" - Does it sound too much like KOKOMO?  (Read 3586 times)
wallabie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: February 20, 2010, 11:43:42 AM »

Hi boys Smiley,

I wrote a new song in December 2009. But  I never recorded it because I was concerned that it sounds too much like KOKOMO. Because the thematic of the song is summer, hawaii and so on. I played it to a friend and he said: "Yes it sounds similar"... I wrote down the sharp notes of both Kokomo and my song and found out, that the melodies of the vocals are different... OK, but the question is,... is it too close?

Luther, what do you think, you are the expert Smiley
Thank you guys!

Martin

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8787708

"Even a broken clock is right twice a day"
www.beachboys-germany.com
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 12:27:34 PM »

Listening to it, yes, the verses are way too much like "Kokomo". The rest is melodically different enough to stand on its own, but it's not as good as "Kokomo" (not saying that it's terrible), a comparison I inevitably make in my mind after that opening verse. It doesn't have as much contrast as "Kokomo" does rhythmically or melodically. Junk it, man. You can do better.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 12:59:12 PM »

Luther, what do you think, you are the expert Smiley
Well I don't agree with that. But I agree with Dada, it's awfully similar. If you're going to hang on to it, I'd change the words to an entirely different subject and really slice it up with new, entirely different segments in there. At least the vocal phrasing, which I think is still pretty similar to Kokomo despite being a different melody. It's just too reminiscent.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
wallabie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 01:48:16 PM »

OK, thank ya you two Smiley

Hmm... awfully identical... hmm... that´s bad man, that´s way bad... because when I´m comparring the two melodies just by writing down the sharp notes, they are different.....hmm.. maybe I should go back to the start and do something else Smiley

"Even a broken clock is right twice a day"
www.beachboys-germany.com
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 01:58:18 PM »

It's not literally the same melody--the notes are definitely different. But the general flow of the music is too similar. The phrasing, the chords, the feel. It doesn't matter if you can point you this note isn't the same as that note because when you take it as a whole, I'd guess anyone who has heard Kokomo may well think of it straight away. Sorry...

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 02:56:42 AM »

Music is a very personal experience, and extremely subjective. Having something sound like a #1 hit by any #1 hit maker is a very good thing… "Kokomo" is no "Good Vibrations," "Heroes And Villains," etc. Your lyrics concept, etc., are fine, the melody also works… Your most challenging task, at this point, should be to focus on the music elements, make those stronger, then revisit your lyrical content. Whenever I write, I find a song can take on indefinite forms that often develop into numerous new song ideas and conceptual templates.

Don't know if you're familiar with Chris English [http://www.chrisenglishmusic.com/index_.html] or not. He's a local Charlotte, NC recording artist that I've written with that was recently signed to SideB Music. He and I have written a handful of songs together, three of which are on his 'Dreamtown' album; "Summer Revisited,' "Sunshine Routine" and "Downtime." I wrote "Summer Revisited" about my childhood and life experiences of growing older. Chris' gave me his music track and I sat on it for more than a year. I couldn't do anything with it. Then, in the middle of my divorce… There it was, all the words.

"Sunshine Routine" was another situation where Chris already had the piano track. Big Beach Boys influence here. I wrote the lyrics with Carl Wilson in mind, because I had begun production on the "Under God" tribute CD for ESQ. My understanding is Carl had a home in Malibu that was on the beach… So the opening line, "A cup of Joe, the morning's clear, my surf report, the time draws near, to hit the shore… Sun is shining, so very brightly… Sunshine Routine, you wake me up, shine on me…" is written with the idea of living on the beach. The music here is great. There's a purposeful "Cabin Essence," "Feel Flows" and "Surf's Up" vibe to this. I suggested horns and banjo, and Chris took it from there.  I realize it just now… Having just listened to it again, I now realize that "Sunshine Routine" is about all the Wilson brothers. Fascinating. Subconscious influence.

Keep writing… Don't scrap anything. At the very least, take your words and music, break them in half,  and begin two new songs. Subconscious influence can be a difficult thing to shake, so engage it.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx