gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680815 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 08:55:47 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why was "The Lonely Sea" left off "Surfin' Safari"?  (Read 4114 times)
OneEar/OneEye
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2010, 12:29:28 PM »

Ah, thank you shelter - that's it alright, that's what I was remembering.
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2010, 01:21:36 AM »

As to Surfer Girl, I have a record with the version that was recorded at Hite Morgan's, and on Candix, but that version has a weird section on it, and maybe Brian was still experimenting with it.  On each verse, take the first for example - when they sing "all undone," the chords go from G major to g minor. Now on the recording that was a hit, the bass stays on the g note, but on my Candix recording it goes up to B- flat (the 3rd of g minor.)   Although I didn't like the sound, it's interesting to see that Brian was already experimenting with playing non-root notes on the bass.

I'm suprised that Usher wrote the music for Lonely Sea. It just has that haunting melancholy Brian sound in the melody. Just goes to show, that I can't trust my ears anymore.

It sounds un-Brian-like to me. More like Usher's style of writing a la "Sacramento".

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx