gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:31:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why was "The Lonely Sea" left off "Surfin' Safari"?  (Read 4104 times)
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« on: February 14, 2010, 01:07:56 PM »

This is one for all you historians. Any ideas? Actually everybody feel free to weigh in. I think it's one of; if not THE best track on "Surfin' USA" and hands down beats anything off the debut which is was recorded alongside of. So again - why on earth did it not make the final cut for "Safari"?  Did Murry think it was too dark or not poppy enough? It for sure does have a totally different tone and feel to all the other material being recorded at this stage. Surely it wasn't deliberately held back for a later release because in '62 no one, not Brian, Murry, Nick Venet or the Capital execs could have known if there would even BE a second album.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 03:24:39 PM by mikes beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 01:10:03 PM »

What a superb question!

“We live in divisive times.”
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 01:14:41 PM »

Thank you. I've never heard it asked before.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 02:39:23 PM »

This is one for all you historians. Any ideas? Actually everybody feel free to weigh in .I think it's one of; if not THE best track on "Surfin' USA" and hands down beats anything off the debut which is was recorded alongside of.

"TLS" was actually recorded before the band landed the Capitol contract - it was part of the 4/16/62 demo tape cut at Western, produced by Murry.

And yes, a damn fine question.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 03:14:31 PM »

Didn't Gary Usher write most of the tune?  Could it be that Murry didn't want it on there since it was mostly an Usher tune?  I know this may not make sense since there were other songs that were not written by any of the Beach Boys, but didn't Murry have a beef with Usher?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 03:32:37 PM »

Didn't Gary Usher write most of the tune?  Could it be that Murry didn't want it on there since it was mostly an Usher tune?  I know this may not make sense since there were other songs that were not written by any of the Beach Boys, but didn't Murry have a beef with Usher?

Just a small one...  Roll Eyes

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 04:06:08 PM »

Just a small one...  Roll Eyes

AGD, do you think this was the reason?
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 04:39:17 PM »

It could very well be that this was thought of as more of an Usher song than a Brian song. Dave Marks says he was there, in the Wilson home, when it was being composed, and he insists that Gary wrote the music and that Brian's only contribution was some of the lyric...and obviously the harmonies at the end of the recorded arrangement. Assuming this is fact, perhaps Brian needed a little more leverage, like a hit or two...to talk Murry into allowing it on an LP. But I agree it is a great question...the first LP could have used this song in a big way.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 05:23:51 PM »

What about "Surfer Girl"?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2010, 05:52:10 PM »

Who wrote the ridiculous middle section?

SJS...yeah...I was wondering about that too.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2010, 06:11:15 PM »

LP version of Lonely Sea recorded April '62. Not released until March '63. Hit version of Surfer Girl recorded June '63...released July '63. Brian wanted no part of the World Pacific version.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2010, 06:17:42 PM »

LP version of Lonely Sea recorded April '62. Not released until March '63. Hit version of Surfer Girl recorded June '63...released July '63. Brian wanted no part of the World Pacific version.

Yeah, but my question is why? It's one the best songs that Brian ever wrote, it was one of the first songs that Brian ever wrote, Brian usually mentions it in his "favorite song" lists, and it got bypassed on two albums. And, Surfin' Safari and Surfin' USA could've benefitted by another ballad. Just wondering....
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2010, 06:33:13 PM »

Yeah, but my question is why? It's one the best songs that Brian ever wrote, it was one of the first songs that Brian ever wrote, Brian usually mentions it in his "favorite song" lists, and it got bypassed on two albums. And, Surfin' Safari and Surfin' USA could've benefitted by another ballad. Just wondering....
Why is a good question. I agree those LP's would have benefited. Never have heard any reason for the delay in re-trying it.
MBE
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2010, 08:21:10 PM »

My two cents is that Brian was a little shy about his more sensitive side thus Lonely Sea and Surfer Girl got held back. Remember the Surfin Safari LP has next to no falsetto on it.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2010, 10:00:09 PM »

Brian thought it was inappropriate music.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Nicko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2010, 12:34:40 AM »

I've always assumed that it was felt that the public might respond better to up-tempo songs and typical surf stuff rather than The Lonely Sea or Surfer Girl (or Their Hearts Were Full of Spring for that matter).
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2010, 04:11:04 AM »

I blame Mike. The BBs had a minor hit with Surfin, and Brian wanted to experiment further, but Mike told him in no uncertain terms "don't foda with the formula of having next to no falsetto on our songs". Brian got little support from within the band for his falsetto ballads.

Afterwards Brian had a breakdown and the rest of the band quickly needed enough material to fill 20 albums in 7 years, so they revisited the songs in an attempt to cajole him into the studio.
Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2010, 04:15:08 AM »

Ah, of course! Why do we have to discuss? It's always Mike's fault!

Are you ready for some Fun Fun Fun?!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2010, 04:24:26 AM »

I blame Mike. The BBs had a minor hit with Surfin, and Brian wanted to experiment further, but Mike told him in no uncertain terms "don't foda with the formula of having next to no falsetto on our songs". Brian got little support from within the band for his falsetto ballads.

Afterwards Brian had a breakdown and the rest of the band quickly needed enough material to fill 20 albums in 7 years, so they revisited the songs in an attempt to cajole him into the studio.

Yeah, I remember. In 1962, Brian felt awful and scared. One day, he drank two glasses of beer, and a former high school teacher of his got very worried and urged him to visit a young student in psychology, Gene L., who dabbled a bit in piano playing and mistakenly thought he had brains.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2010, 04:30:20 AM »

:D

Are you ready for some Fun Fun Fun?!
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2010, 05:23:52 AM »

Thank you. I've never heard it asked before.

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,7906.0.html
 Cool
Day Tripper
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2010, 07:48:24 AM »

As to Surfer Girl, I have a record with the version that was recorded at Hite Morgan's, and on Candix, but that version has a weird section on it, and maybe Brian was still experimenting with it.  On each verse, take the first for example - when they sing "all undone," the chords go from G major to g minor. Now on the recording that was a hit, the bass stays on the g note, but on my Candix recording it goes up to B- flat (the 3rd of g minor.)   Although I didn't like the sound, it's interesting to see that Brian was already experimenting with playing non-root notes on the bass.

I'm suprised that Usher wrote the music for Lonely Sea. It just has that haunting melancholy Brian sound in the melody. Just goes to show, that I can't trust my ears anymore.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2010, 10:12:49 AM »

I could be wrong, but I thought I read somewhere, probably on this site, that Usher wrote the chord sequence, while the vocal melody and most of the lyrics were Brian's.
OneEar/OneEye
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2010, 11:51:29 AM »

Based on an older thread I began making altered albums.  My Surfin' Safari has Lonely Sea on it, plus Farmer's Daughter, which I know was recorded after Safari was released, but I think it fits with the theme of the title track.

On another note: I seem to recall reading that John Lennon said something about Lonely Sea, that it was one of his favorites.  I cannot recall where I saw that, and I'm wondering if anyone might know - or am I mistaken?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 11:52:24 AM by Paul » Logged
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2010, 12:20:16 PM »

On another note: I seem to recall reading that John Lennon said something about Lonely Sea, that it was one of his favorites.  I cannot recall where I saw that, and I'm wondering if anyone might know - or am I mistaken?

There's been a rumor for quite some time that John played 'Lonely Sea' during the 'Get Back' sessions. Maybe that's what you remember? It turned out that he was just randomly playing his guitar and it came out sounding a bit like the guitar on 'Lonely Sea'. But that's obviously a very common riff. You can hear it on dozens of songs ('Everbody Hurts' by REM is the first that comes to mind).
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx