gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681220 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 29, 2024, 12:14:14 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 50th Anniversary, The SMiLE box, the reunion, new material and things to come  (Read 45819 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: February 25, 2010, 05:54:30 AM »

what will it take to get new/unreleased stuff? We're willing to do anything....more than anything, everything.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: February 25, 2010, 06:03:10 AM »

what will it take to get new/unreleased stuff? We're willing to do anything....more than anything, everything.

I hear Kalashnikovs go at a cheap rate nowadays. As do tickets to an airport near the Capitol Tower.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: February 25, 2010, 06:52:56 AM »

do we need to protest outside Capitol?  Grin

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: February 25, 2010, 07:20:23 AM »

do we need to protest outside Capitol?  Grin

Yes we do. We are concerned citizens who want to protect cultural heritage against the barbarians!

Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: February 25, 2010, 07:31:52 AM »

i spent half my dad listening to clips from the Pet Sounds Sessions which i don't have.  freaking awesome, will buy it soon.  I'd love Smile box.  Not of everything, clean it up obviously.  Throw in some rare tunes if you want (tons of Dennis songs, or Brian songs).

and also speaking i LOVE getting the "remasters" and stereo remixes. love it love it.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: February 25, 2010, 07:39:30 AM »

i spent half my dad
That's a pretty steep price. What'd your mom think?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 25, 2010, 07:51:46 AM »

i spent half my dad

I laughed, a lot.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: February 25, 2010, 07:52:39 AM »

i spent half my dad

LOL I was just about to post somewhat similar...

Paulos
« Reply #258 on: February 25, 2010, 02:26:01 PM »

Does anyone know how well Endless Harmony and Hawthorne CA sold? These releases were essentially rarities compilations and if the sales weren't spectacular then Capitol may be put off from releasing a similiar product.
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 25, 2010, 04:07:44 PM »

If Capitol put Wouldn't it be Nice To Live Again online right now and the download fee for that one song was $15 I would do it in a heart beat. When will they ever get a clue?

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
Jason
« Reply #260 on: February 25, 2010, 04:26:44 PM »

If Capitol put Wouldn't it be Nice To Live Again online right now and the download fee for that one song was $15 I would do it in a heart beat. When will they ever get a clue?

Technically, they already HAVE a clue. When it comes out as the token unreleased track to lure the collectors on the next hits CD, you'll definitely pay $15 for it. What do you think they are, stupid? Smiley
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 25, 2010, 04:32:05 PM »

Technically, they already HAVE a clue. When it comes out as the token unreleased track to lure the collectors on the next hits CD, you'll definitely pay $15 for it. What do you think they are, stupid?
Not to be a record label apologist, but this is pretty much dead on (whether it was meant seriously or not). Don't you think they've calculated/estimated sales? Not to say this or that album doesn't surprise here and there, but I doubt they've somehow completely missed some gigantic base of people who would buy this or that. The people who would pay extra for tunes make a small group. (Many more would just illegally download shared files once it's released; many, many more just don't fucking care.) Labels release what they figure can sell. We, an insular group, think "they could make a fortune!" We don't get stuck with the bill for manufacturing, distributing, and promoting. I'm guessing they know what they're dealing with, more or less.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Jason
« Reply #262 on: February 25, 2010, 04:53:19 PM »

It's more than "pretty much dead on". It's a FACT. A fact of life, business, commerce, you name it.

I love the Beach Boys as much as anyone here, but let's face it. We obsessives are a true niche market. As hardcore collectors, our numbers aren't those of, say, the Beatles, the Grateful Dead, Bob Dylan, Pink Floyd, or even the Monkees.

I think the fact that, considering their standing in the pantheon of rock groups that THE GENERAL PUBLIC...I will repeat this...THE GENERAL PUBLIC...one more time, bolded, italicized, underlined, striked-through, glowed, shadowed, marquee'd, and blown up huge so you definitely get the message...THE GENERAL PUBLIC thinks are a given as far as being classic, they've had as much archival stuff put out as they have is nothing short of miraculous.

Don't get me wrong. I would certainly rush out and scoop up a disc of unreleased tracks, an unreleased concert recording, or whatever else comes out. But be realistic about it.

WE'RE STATISTICALLY INSIGNIFICANT. We aren't even a blip on the commercial radar.

I'm not trying to say we're not dedicated enough to buy the stuff if it were to come out, but we're a HUGE minority. A dedicated minority, but a minority nonetheless. Keep your fingers crossed for the Beach Boys Central website. That truly might be the only real chance.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 25, 2010, 04:54:16 PM »

Last time I try to be tactful. But yeah. That. (We don't matter.)

grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 25, 2010, 04:54:29 PM »

Technically, they already HAVE a clue. When it comes out as the token unreleased track to lure the collectors on the next hits CD, you'll definitely pay $15 for it. What do you think they are, stupid?
Not to be a record label apologist, but this is pretty much dead on (whether it was meant seriously or not). Don't you think they've calculated/estimated sales? Not to say this or that album doesn't surprise here and there, but I doubt they've somehow completely missed some gigantic base of people who would buy this or that. The people who would pay extra for tunes make a small group. (Many more would just illegally download shared files once it's released; many, many more just don't friggin' care.) Labels release what they figure can sell. We, an insular group, think "they could make a fortune!" We don't get stuck with the bill for manufacturing, distributing, and promoting. I'm guessing they know what they're dealing with, more or less.
The point ,though, is the label needn't bother with packaging, shipping or any of the other costs associated with hard copies of their 'product' when a perfectly reasonable and cheap resource is already at hand (the internet). naturally I would rather everything be released on vinyl or even CD before I'd choose a download, but I'd still take what I can get and the label could dish it out at almost no cost to them which, according to my admittedly limited understanding of economics, is pure profit, and pure profit is what drives these intellectually crippled suits in the tower, right?

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: February 25, 2010, 05:32:32 PM »

I dunno if I completely agree!

One of my favorite bands: Saint Etienne, who've, record sales-wise, sold a mere fraction of what Sunflower even sold in 1970,just had lavish double CDs of their first string of albums come out. They have a few bulding at the seams best-of. They had more EPs, singles, etc, all packed with rare tracks, than you could hope to ever count on two hands and two feet!

My thinking is, it just comes down the the lables really. Saint Etienne is on Heavenly and Sub-Pop where sales aren't everything and if the label likes the band, they'll play ball.

That big fat huge BIG STAR box set just came out. And trust me, they're nerd cult is much smaller than us!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: February 25, 2010, 05:35:59 PM »

Also, all the early Bee Gees albums, up to and including Odessa, came out in packed double disc special editions (Odessa getting a 3 disc, but non fuzzy, box-set treatment) As amazing as these albums are, just how many "millions" exactly were Rhino expecting to make off these lavish re-issues?

But, this is Rhino we're talking about, where quality is king and rules the land!

Maybe The Beach Boys ought to jump ship again?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: February 25, 2010, 05:37:52 PM »

grillo, what you're saying is along the lines of what I've promoted for years as the smart way for the band to release their music--at least their new stuff. The audiophiles among us will bitch, but online-based distribution would be a virtually free way to get the product out. Totally agree. But ... the talk here is always high quality vinyl, beautiful artwork, detailed liner notes, new photography...

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: February 25, 2010, 05:38:50 PM »

But, this is Rhino we're talking about, where quality is king and rules the land!

Didn't Rhino more or less die this past year, though?

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: February 25, 2010, 05:53:38 PM »

Did they???  Cry

Ok, another example is Neil Young's monsterously huge "archives" box!!!! Thing costs like $400 retail and must've cost Warner/Reprise/Neil a fortune! I know Neil is a huge rock star, but how many CDs do you think he's selling these days?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 05:54:36 PM by Erik H » Logged
Ganz Allein
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: February 25, 2010, 06:01:40 PM »

Didn't Rhino more or less die this past year, though?

Rhino is still around. On their new web site you can buy albums in vinyl or CD format. Also, a lot of their stuff is available as digital downloads, both in 320kb mp3 and lossless (FLAC, Apple Lossless, WMA lossless) format. The lossless costs a little more, of course. Anyway, they're selling GIOMH (vinyl and digital), Brian Wilson (digital only), Orange Crate Art (digital only), BWPS (vinyl only), and the BWPS DVD.

http://www.rhino.com/artist/brian-wilson (web site is kinda slow, though)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: February 25, 2010, 06:18:24 PM »

I was just remembering the somewhat dire discussion around their relatively substantial layoffs late 2009, I guess. It was hardly an air of positivity.

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: February 25, 2010, 06:36:29 PM »

I think they actually just shut down their retail stores!

Cry  the one off 3rd Street in Santa Monica was a fave of mine.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: February 26, 2010, 07:38:18 AM »

Last time I try to be tactful. But yeah. That. (We don't matter.)

Luther, I love you when you're drunk. Turn around and drop your pants.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: February 26, 2010, 07:41:59 AM »

I'm not wearing any. (Vacation, Day Two!)

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx