gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680880 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 08:55:14 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 50th Anniversary, The SMiLE box, the reunion, new material and things to come  (Read 45595 times)
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 13, 2010, 08:13:53 PM »

I've noticed a lot of buzz about SMiLE on other threads but no speculation on the release of a SMiLE box lately.  Those "in the know"  hinted on a SMiLE box on the 50th.  A reunion of some sort or the other has been discussed.  Another Hawthorne type release has been discussed.

But not lately.  If late 61 was the conception of the Beachboys, we are fast approaching 50 years.  These things don't happen over night.  Takes planning.   I sincerely hope this anniversary serves as an opportunity for the band and the record companies to pull out all of the stops.  Music, merchandise, performances, commerative books, radio and TV documentaries, and a new comprehensive DVD with lots of unreleased archival and personal BB/family footage.

Are managers, friends, family, suits, Brian and Mike, and spouses listening?  Or reading these threads?

Nicko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 10:27:25 PM »

My opinion on the possibilities of:

Performances - I think the only way Brian will do a concert with the other guys is if his management think that he needs to do it to boost his career. Al went from persona non grata to being part of Brian's band within a short space of time presumably because they thought it would help to shift tickets. As Brian is pretty busy right now, I don't see it happening.

Music - Can't see a new album happening. A live release is more likely - maybe from 1993 or a double CD which takes songs from right throughout the band's career. I would love a 50 song rarities album but I doubt the band would want it released. The Smile box set could come out but again only if Brian's management think it would benefit him. As it might overshadow BWPS, I don't expect it. Sadly I think there will be a lot more releases only as the band members die off one by one.

Documentaries - Very possible.

Books - Not sure an official book would be that interesting.

Merchandise - There probably will be slightly more than normal I guess.

DVD - That could be interesting and Billy has said before that he would be happy for Brother to use his material for an official DVD.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 01:51:45 AM »

I read Al will only do a reunion if it's a full scale tour. Dream on Al!!! Can you honestly see Brian saying yes to a full scale tour? I think the answer would be to a big one off concert/t.v special. Maybe with some guests like The Band did in "Last Waltz". The key is not to keep them all together for too long, if not it's only a matter of time before they all fall out again.
Another Hawthorn type comp would be great but in reality we will probably get another "Endless Summer" clone. (Still fingers crossed eh?)
I don't think the Smile boxset will come out. Ever. More chance of Brian's Manson sessions getting an official release.
Hate to sound so negative but I'm just not going to get my hopes up. Keep expections low and then whatever happens will be.  I'm positive SOMETHING will happen for the 50th even if it's just another doc. The half century anniversary of "America's Band" cant go by without any marking of the occasion and I'm sure BRI have something in mind but just what remains to be seen.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 02:13:52 AM by mikes beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Jason
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 07:58:55 AM »

I don't think the Smile boxset will come out. Ever. More chance of Brian's Manson sessions getting an official release.

Man, I've heard of outlandish statements in my days of Beach Boys fandom ("Keepin' the Summer Alive is underrated", "Looking Back With Love is a great album", "Brian Wilson is a genius"), but THAT one in my quote takes the cake. As long as there is a Beach Boys organization, band members dead or alive, the ONLY way we'll see those come out in any form whatsoever is if someone literally steals those tapes out of the band's vaults and shares them with fans. Christ, even Country Love, Rubles, and The Battle Hymn of the Republic will come out before those recordings do!

I understand we as Beach Boys fans prefer to live in our own little fantasy worlds because it suits our individual beliefs regarding the band, but let's keep it a BIT in the realm of reality. Yeah, sure...I enjoy the Lie album as much as anyone else who finds that album appealing, but...there ain't a snowball's chance in hell of the Brian/Carl-produced Manson recordings coming out in any form. As far as things we thought would never happen, Brian performing Smile live is one thing. Michael throwing in a bunch of rarities in Beach Boys concerts is another. But as long as people in the band's organization have air in their lungs, those Brian/Carl-produced Manson recordings will NEVER come out.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 08:03:51 AM »

While I would like to see a number of projects, I think we'll see only two. The first will be a documentary; maybe the PBS American Masters series? The second I'm guessing will be a single CD comp with a title like The Beach Boys : Gold - The 50th Anniversary Collection, with the usual "hits". I'll go out on a limb and predict a single song, maybe the closing track on the comp, will be a newly composed song from Brian, with Mike, Al, and Bruce on vocals/harmonies.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 08:06:22 AM »

For the Manson sessions to be 'liberated', they first have to be found, and my understanding is that doing so is going to be almost impossible: you really think they're kept on the racks labelled "Manson sessions at Bellagio" ?  Those puppies are buried good and deep.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 08:09:46 AM »

Man, I've heard of outlandish statements in my days of Beach Boys fandom ("Keepin' the Summer Alive is underrated", "Looking Back With Love is a great album", "Brian Wilson is a genius"), but THAT one in my quote takes the cake. As long as there is a Beach Boys organization, band members dead or alive, the ONLY way we'll see those come out in any form whatsoever is if someone literally steals those tapes out of the band's vaults and shares them with fans. Christ, even Country Love, Rubles, and The Battle Hymn of the Republic will come out before those recordings do!

I understand we as Beach Boys fans prefer to live in our own little fantasy worlds because it suits our individual beliefs regarding the band, but let's keep it a BIT in the realm of reality. Yeah, sure...I enjoy the Lie album as much as anyone else who finds that album appealing, but...there ain't a snowball's chance in hell of the Brian/Carl-produced Manson recordings coming out in any form. As far as things we thought would never happen, Brian performing Smile live is one thing. Michael throwing in a bunch of rarities in Beach Boys concerts is another. But as long as people in the band's organization have air in their lungs, those Brian/Carl-produced Manson recordings will NEVER come out.

Relax it's was just me using a little of my dry English wit.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Jason
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 08:29:23 AM »

For the Manson sessions to be 'liberated', they first have to be found, and my understanding is that doing so is going to be almost impossible: you really think they're kept on the racks labelled "Manson sessions at Bellagio" ?  Those puppies are buried good and deep.

They're hidden away with the Surf's Up 2nd movement tapes, I knew it! LOL
oldsurferdude
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 08:48:32 AM »

...Oh my Roll Eyes
DefMode66
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2010, 09:03:23 AM »

My opinion on the possibilities of:

Performances - I think the only way Brian will do a concert with the other guys is if his management think that he needs to do it to boost his career. Al went from persona non grata to being part of Brian's band within a short space of time presumably because they thought it would help to shift tickets. As Brian is pretty busy right now, I don't see it happening.

Music - Can't see a new album happening. A live release is more likely - maybe from 1993 or a double CD which takes songs from right throughout the band's career. I would love a 50 song rarities album but I doubt the band would want it released. The Smile box set could come out but again only if Brian's management think it would benefit him. As it might overshadow BWPS, I don't expect it. Sadly I think there will be a lot more releases only as the band members die off one by one.

Documentaries - Very possible.

Books - Not sure an official book would be that interesting.

Merchandise - There probably will be slightly more than normal I guess.

DVD - That could be interesting and Billy has said before that he would be happy for Brother to use his material for an official DVD.

Brian doesn't need to boost his career for one thing. There are many scenerios for a very successful 50 anniversary reunion tour!

My lineup would look like this:

Brian Wilson
Mike Love
Alan Jardine
Bruce Johnston
David Marks
Dean O Torrence

The backup band could consist of The Wondermints or the Beach Boys touring band or some of both. It would be a shame to miss this last opportunity to reunite for selfish reasons. They should think of the fans. Dean Torrence would be a great addition especially since Jan&Dean and The Beach Boys were so close in the early-mid 60's.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 09:05:53 AM by DefMode66 » Logged
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2010, 10:20:19 AM »

Maybe with some guests like The Band did in "Last Waltz".
NO. Why do people think this a good idea? The Band started off as a backing band, they were showing their strengths in doing other people's songs. Did you notice that it wasn't other people singing The Band covers?

Aside from that, this things become dated really quickly. The 20th anniversary special sucked because of all those guests. Maybe it seemed cool at the time, but just look at it now.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2010, 10:33:12 AM »

I think the reception Brian's Gershwin album receives will go a long way towards affecting whether he will reunite or not.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2010, 10:48:37 AM »

NO. Why do people think this a good idea? The Band started off as a backing band, they were showing their strengths in doing other people's songs. Did you notice that it wasn't other people singing The Band covers?

Aside from that, this things become dated really quickly. The 20th anniversary special sucked because of all those guests. Maybe it seemed cool at the time, but just look at it now.

Yes but in "The Last Waltz" they weren't for the most part random people up there on stage with them.  They were people who's careers had crossed paths with The Band musically.  My suggestion was more along those lines.  Blondie Chaplin getting up on stage and busting out "Sail on Sailor "like it was '73 again? Macca playing bass to "God Only Knows"? Dean joining them for a"Barbara Ann" sing-along? How about Van Dyke Parks performing one or two Smile numbers with them?  Does this really sound that shite to you?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 12:02:53 PM by mikes beard » Logged

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2010, 11:38:37 AM »

My lineup would look like this:

Brian Wilson
Mike Love
Alan Jardine
Bruce Johnston
David Marks
Dean O Torrence...

... Dean Torrence would be a great addition especially since Jan&Dean and The Beach Boys were so close in the early-mid 60's.

No offence to Dean but he ain't a Beach Boy and I've never thought his voice – despite Barbara Ann - matched the blend. At all. If there's a gig , then yes, get him up to do the lead on BA, but otherwise let him enjoy it from behind a camera lens!   Roll Eyes

“We live in divisive times.”
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2010, 12:08:18 PM »

Hate to sound so negative but I'm just not going to get my hopes up.

I think a release of the Brian/Carl produced Manson sessions would be far more interesting than a Smile box recycling boot material we all have access to (but of course never listen to as it would be wrong).  As unlikely as it of course is to happen.  Maybe the original, fully produced Cease to Exist as a bonus track on a comp with Never Learn Not to Love on it?
Jason
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2010, 12:22:38 PM »

...Oh my Roll Eyes

What do you have pasted to your eyelids that's so appealing? You always seem to be looking up at them. Smiley
oldsurferdude
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2010, 12:35:58 PM »

...Oh my Roll Eyes

What do you have pasted to your eyelids that's so appealing? You always seem to be looking up at them. Smiley
Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes ::)Oh My Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes ::)My Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes ::)Oh Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes ::)My
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2010, 05:18:44 PM »

Yes but in "The Last Waltz" they weren't for the most part random people up there on stage with them.  They were people who's careers had crossed paths with The Band musically.  My suggestion was more along those lines.  Blondie Chaplin getting up on stage and busting out "Sail on Sailor "like it was '73 again? Macca playing bass to "God Only Knows"? Dean joining them for a"Barbara Ann" sing-along? How about Van Dyke Parks performing one or two Smile numbers with them?  Does this really sound that shite to you?

While I don't think there will be a reunion concert, if there would be, and if they wanted to incorporate "guests", I think the guests should have to have a connection to the song(s) they're performing on - which would eliminate outsiders like McCartney. You could bring out the Honeys for backing vocals on "Be True To Your School", maybe Glen Campbell for "Do You Wanna Dance"/"Dance Dance Dance", Dean Torrence for "Barbara Ann", and Blondie & Ricky for "Sail On Sailor".
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 06:40:26 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2010, 06:00:51 PM »

Serious question time - do they still exist? I mean, we know sessions happened, but someone destroying a session tape with Manson written on it isn't really out of the realms of possibilty, is it?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
BJL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2010, 06:48:39 PM »

Serious question time - do they still exist? I mean, we know sessions happened, but someone destroying a session tape with Manson written on it isn't really out of the realms of possibilty, is it?

perhaps i am being naive, but i think that for anyone who loved music or cared about music (and i imagine that almost everyone in the beach boys organization, beneath the greed and whatever else, does love music), actually destroying a tape would be very difficult to do, no matter whose name was on it.  hiding it, mislabeling it, perhaps, in a worst case scenario, leaving it lying around in a place where it would almost surely be lost or forgotten or even thrown out, maybe.  but conciously tossing the only copy of anything...i just can't see someone who loved music doing that. 
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2010, 06:58:45 PM »

I'm not sure why people think a Smile box will never, ever happen. Wasn't it pretty close to happening several times, the most note worthy being after the Pet Sounds box? Like, REALLY really intended to happen but then something went wrong?

Obviously BWPS has come out since then - that's why I say that if there is a Smile box set, put BWPS on it. It's relevant, it's good, and it pleases everyone - Brian's proper, completed version of it is presented alongside the original tapes, nothing is overshadowed, etc. etc. etc.

I don't think it's too far out of the question at all.

This thread title is a bit misleading, by the way.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Rocky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2010, 11:29:04 PM »

While I don't think there will be a reunion concert, if there would be, and if they wanted to incorporate "guests", I think the guests should have to have a connection to the song(s) they're performing on - which would eliminate outsiders like McCartney.
Vega-Tables?
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2010, 11:40:51 PM »

Yeah he could munch on a carrot or two!!  The reason I put him in with "God Only Knows" is he seems to have a very deep connection to the song. He has praised it alot and it seems to have inspired some of his songwriting ideas  around this time.

Nicko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2010, 12:12:58 AM »

Obviously BWPS has come out since then - that's why I say that if there is a Smile box set, put BWPS on it. It's relevant, it's good, and it pleases everyone - Brian's proper, completed version of it is presented alongside the original tapes, nothing is overshadowed, etc. etc. etc.

I doubt that's realistic at all.

Firstly because the record labels wouldn't agree to it.

Secondly because I guess the band members wouldn't agree to it.

Thirdly, how would it not be overshadowed??? One disc you get to hear Brian in the 60s, the next you are listening to his voice 40 years later.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2010, 01:41:43 AM »

I doubt that's realistic at all.

Firstly because the record labels wouldn't agree to it.

Secondly because I guess the band members wouldn't agree to it.

Thirdly, how would it not be overshadowed??? One disc you get to hear Brian in the 60s, the next you are listening to his voice 40 years later.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 02:29:42 AM by Jonas » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx