gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 05:50:13 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Overrated BB's Related Songs  (Read 26317 times)
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #175 on: May 10, 2012, 11:41:34 AM »

You are of course utterly correct. Was in a foul, defensive mood when i posted the above following a discussion that became an argument with a poor-quality-music-loving friend.
Paulos
« Reply #176 on: May 10, 2012, 01:31:38 PM »

Up until a few weeks ago I always considered 'The Warmth Of The Sun' to be an overrated song as I had listened to it dozens of times without it making much of an impact on me, then one night after consuming a 'jazz fag' it's brilliance finally hit me and I sat there in pure blissfull joy as the wonderul arrangement and harmonies swept me away. True story.
Melt Away
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: May 10, 2012, 04:46:59 PM »

Love You is fucking great. Brian Wilson could sh*t out something more creative than all of us. Personally, I've never been into "Trader", "Rock N Roll Music" (I love the original Berry and The Beatles versions though) and "Heaven".

Trader I can at least listen to but it seems to drag on a bit without much going on. RNRM is the pinnacle of Mike being some sloppy Mick Jagger clusterfuck but, I gotta admit I love the background vocals. Even though Heaven is on Carl's 1981 solo album The BB's played it live in the early 80's. It has some moments but overall it's manufactured 80's crap.

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 10, 2012, 04:49:15 PM »

I'm sure fans on fan sites for other bands don't spend there entire time talking about what they don't like about the bands in question.

Welcome to the internet. You must be new here. ^_^

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #179 on: March 09, 2014, 07:36:25 PM »

Catch A Wave
Little Deuce Coupe
Fun, Fun, Fun
Girls On The Beach
Busy Doin' Nothin'
Do It Again
I Went To Sleep
Time To Get Alone
Celebrate The News
This Whole World
Cool, Cool Water
4th Of July
Steamboat
Rock And Roll Music
It's OK
Had To Phone Ya
Come Go At Me
Sumahama (Not exactly overrated, but IMHO if anyone says this crap is remotely good, it's overrated as hell)
San Miguel
Livin' With A Heartache
Goin' On
When Girls Get Together
Santa Ana Winds
Male Ego
Kokomo
Forever (The inexplicably popular John Stamos version)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: March 19, 2014, 04:48:12 AM »

Was just about to post my list of overrated BBs songs, only to see I've already done it. Completely forgot about this thread & writing such a flat-out nonsense:

Girls on the Beach - beautiful singing but images are bad. Hate it when various girls in bikinis come to mind while listening this song. Thanks to American Band doc-ry for such association;)  
Seriously, what have images got to do with liking or disliking a song? 1st, & 2ndly, "Girls on the Beach" is by no means overrated as it didn't chart, is not one of their more popular numbers & never the concert staple, going by Eric's site.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #181 on: March 19, 2014, 05:59:54 AM »

« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 10:15:31 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
branaa09
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 19, 2014, 07:56:27 AM »

Kokofrickenmo! Angry I'm glad Brian stayed away from that atrocity!
halblaineisgood
« Reply #183 on: March 19, 2014, 09:15:47 AM »

« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 10:15:56 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 19, 2014, 09:23:43 AM »

Catch A Wave
Little Deuce Coupe
Fun, Fun, Fun
Girls On The Beach
Busy Doin' Nothin'
Do It Again
I Went To Sleep
Time To Get Alone
Celebrate The News
This Whole World
Cool, Cool Water
4th Of July
Steamboat
Rock And Roll Music
It's OK
Had To Phone Ya
Come Go At Me
Sumahama (Not exactly overrated, but IMHO if anyone says this crap is remotely good, it's overrated as hell)
San Miguel
Livin' With A Heartache
Goin' On
When Girls Get Together
Santa Ana Winds
Male Ego
Kokomo
Forever (The inexplicably popular John Stamos version)

You can't be serious! Without the overlined ones that would be a very awesome  BB compilation.  
For me the overrated ones are propably:

Surfin' U.S.A.
California Girls
Barbara Ann
'Til I Die (yes, I said it. I love the song, but I just think that it's better on paper. Lyrics are the best thing Brian ever wrote. But the studio version is missing edge and emotion and it could have been much better IMO.)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 09:27:55 AM by RiC » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #185 on: March 19, 2014, 09:41:39 AM »

« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 10:26:25 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 19, 2014, 10:46:28 AM »

I iwsh I could infact met with mike love backstage one day and tell him about theres this forum ...damn shame etc.
What the heck are you talking about?
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 19, 2014, 11:25:45 AM »

I think "Good Timin'" is pretty overrated, it sounds Beach-Boys-by-numbers to me and a half-baked attempt at that. It's one of those songs that never gets going and ends before you figure it will begin to get interesting.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 11:27:13 AM by Myk Luhv » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #188 on: March 19, 2014, 11:59:20 AM »

« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 10:26:36 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #189 on: March 19, 2014, 12:34:48 PM »

« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 10:26:45 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 24, 2014, 12:29:46 PM »

I iwsh I could infact met with mike love backstage one day and tell him about theres this forum ...damn shame etc.
What the heck are you talking about?
Nothin'. It's just that when I see people hatin' on Surfin' U.S.A., I go berserk. It is a perfect recording and it made them famous. It made them a million bucks!!  You are the guy from Hawrthorne High who gives the surfin' composition an F, Except it already made a million bucks and you are STILL giving it an F -- after the fact. You have a tin ear.   
Calling Surfin USA overrated is biting the hand that feeds. the breakthrough that made it all happen. 
Calling a song overrated really doesn't have to do with it being perfect nor do I think the poster was saying that he hated it. I think he was just saying that it's an overrated song by the main listening public just like Barbara Ann and Fun, Fun, Fun. Of the three, I prefer SUSA, but as the three are often plays as encores at Beach Boys/solo/related shows, I just assume hear a solo minor hit or Still Cruisin' or Rock and Roll to the Rescue or even It's OK.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx