gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:28:11 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carl & The Passions "So Tough" / Pet Sounds  (Read 37523 times)
tomstuart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 23, 2010, 04:01:56 PM »

Still, i wonder why release such a short album? They had the material.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 23, 2010, 04:12:41 PM »

I wonder if they just felt they needed to rush someting out to capitalize on the success of Surf's Up?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 23, 2010, 04:37:22 PM »

Does anyone know: Did The BBs already have the Holland excursion planned when CATPST was released? Perhaps they knew they'd be trekking all the way to Holland with no clear idea of when they'd have a presentable album of results to release, so maybe they just tossed together what they had (combined with Pet Sounds to make the buyer feel they were getting a too-good-to-pass-up bargain) and got it out there just to prevent too much of a lag between releases!

I could be way off the mark here though
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: February 23, 2010, 08:16:20 PM »

That's a good theory.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 23, 2010, 11:41:48 PM »

CATP may have short changed the fan from a quantity perspective but then pretty much every Led Zeppelin album from around this period was on average 8 tracks and they seemed to get away with it. Still adding a BB rendition of "Sweet Mountain" or "Awake" and "Wouldn't it be nice to live again" couldn't have hurt.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
tomstuart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 24, 2010, 02:29:05 AM »

I'd still say though that CATP is an essential purchase, even for the casual fan. Those last three tracks - heaven!
Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 24, 2010, 07:12:52 AM »

I wonder if they just felt they needed to rush someting out to capitalize on the success of Surf's Up?

But at the time was Surf's Up really considered a success?

It seems like on more that one occasion the band blew great opportunities simply because they were not prepared for their next move.

Mike's not a Hawthorne boy. The Hawthorne guys stuck together. The Wilsons and I always had a special bond. We felt like we were a team.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 24, 2010, 10:07:59 AM »

Compared to the sales of "Sunflower" then yes it was a relative success. However it may have been in the back of everyone's minds just how many people were buying it for "Surf's Up" the album or just  "Surfs Up" the track.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Dr. Tim
Smiley Smile Associate

"Would you put a loud count on it for us please?"

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 24, 2010, 10:33:26 AM »

In terms of sales Surf's Up was only fair, but reputation-wise it was a godsend to them.  Most critics liked it and it got a lot of both commercial and college radio play.  It made them cool again, which Sunflower was supposed to do but for whatever reason it didn't click right away.   At the time Surf's Up was, by comparison, a runaway hit for them - even though it only cracked the top 30 and there was no hit single from it.  Like them or not, two tracks getting a lot of airplay at the time were SDT (played by the rockin' boy DJs) and Disney Girls (the women DJs LOVED that song).  With CATP in my neck of the woods it was Marcella mostly you heard on the radio.

Hey kids! Remember:
mono mixes suck donkey dick
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 24, 2010, 11:08:13 AM »

Does anyone know: Did The BBs already have the Holland excursion planned when CATPST was released? Perhaps they knew they'd be trekking all the way to Holland with no clear idea of when they'd have a presentable album of results to release, so maybe they just tossed together what they had (combined with Pet Sounds to make the buyer feel they were getting a too-good-to-pass-up bargain) and got it out there just to prevent too much of a lag between releases!

I could be way off the mark here though

the way you asked the question in the first sentence the answer is yes. i had a may 1972 interview in new musical express with mike and alan. alan said where he was living in holland and that the group had a studio in holland. so the move had started before catpst was released. and he mentioned doing recording there also. i don't have the article anymore but i think it was titled mysterious moves of the beach boys...something like that.

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 24, 2010, 01:09:43 PM »

here's another theory!

CATPST doesn't even mention the Beach Boys on the cover and (one of the reasons I love it) sounds to my ears like the debut of some pretty damn cool contemporary band of 1972. Were Carl and Dennis attampting to steer themselves away from the Beach Boys of lore and off into new directions as a pretty much "new" band, and the record company panicked tossed in Pet Sounds to remind everyone that "this is really the Beach Boys: See, remember Pet Sounds"?

adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 24, 2010, 01:28:39 PM »

I've asked this question before...what tracks do we know Brian and Bruce played bass on, not counting the obvious ones (first two albums for Brian, PARTY for Bruce). 

Not sure how "obvious" these are featuring Brian on bass: "Dance" x 3 (perhaps Nashville version too?), "I'm So Young" (Jan. '65 version), "Sandy She Needs Me", "Then I Kissed Her" and "Girl Don't Tell Me". It's likely there are others but that's all I got. Bruce isn't so obvious.

Thanks go to c-man for the above info. By the way, would you consider authoring a Definitive Instrumental Thread or are you saving this information for future archives/ESQ installments? Your investigative work is much enjoyed and appreciated by many on this board, myself included.

These are all new to me, though I guess I should have known he was on "Dance."
Adam if those are new to you you've got to check out Craig Slowinski's site...
http://www.beachboysarchives.com/

Its absolutely the best source for session obsessives like you and me.

Oh I've been there several times, just forgot about Brian on bass...waiting for C-Man to post more!
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 24, 2010, 01:34:29 PM »

here's another theory!

CATPST doesn't even mention the Beach Boys on the cover and (one of the reasons I love it) sounds to my ears like the debut of some pretty damn cool contemporary band of 1972. Were Carl and Dennis attampting to steer themselves away from the Beach Boys of lore and off into new directions as a pretty much "new" band, and the record company panicked tossed in Pet Sounds to remind everyone that "this is really the Beach Boys: See, remember Pet Sounds"?

I think you're really close here, Erik.  Carl was definitely trying to reinvent the band with Blondie and Ricky. From what I have been told, the unreleased single IN CONCERT album was also a radical reimagination of the band and that was a lot of the reason Warners rejected it in favor of a double.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 24, 2010, 01:40:37 PM »

Seeing the Old Grey Whistle Test footage and the Mess Of Help Video, they just seem like a really cool, Carl-led band, quite removed from The Beach Boys, but somehow (and in all the right ways) still The Beach Boys!

I personally wish they'd given us a few more like-minded albums between CATPST and Holland!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 01:41:44 PM by Erik H » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: February 24, 2010, 05:45:00 PM »

I agree.

CATP may have short changed the fan from a quantity perspective but then pretty much every Led Zeppelin album from around this period was on average 8 tracks and they seemed to get away with it. Still adding a BB rendition of "Sweet Mountain" or "Awake" and "Wouldn't it be nice to live again" couldn't have hurt.[/quote[

Then again, Led Zeppelin was releasing 10 minute songs on those albums, so not entirely a fair comparison.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
mtaber
« Reply #115 on: February 24, 2010, 05:51:36 PM »

I think the record company put PS with CATP because they thought they had a bomb on their hands and maybe coupling it with PS might salvage a few sales...
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 24, 2010, 06:29:53 PM »

Perhaps, but it's a good album!!!! I mean, if it had been promoted correctly and in the right places, maybe it could've taken with even non Beach Boys fans!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 24, 2010, 07:37:47 PM »

I mean, if it had been promoted correctly and in the right places, maybe it could've taken with even non Beach Boys fans!
I wouldn't say "even." I'd say "especially." I think most of that album would have played better with non-BBs fans (if they didn't know it was BBs) than with BBs fans--or at least those who were reluctant for change. Not that Beach Boys fans would ever question the band...

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx