gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680818 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 12:42:58 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Live Setlist  (Read 13453 times)
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2006, 12:58:24 PM »

That's a damn shame.  Personally I'd LOVE to hear the L.A. stuff live.  Too bad I was born in 1979. Tongue

If you can find a video copy of the "Midnight Special" when they hosted it, you can hear and see "Angel Come Home", "Lady Lynda", and a lip-synched "Here Comes The Night". 

C-Man

Is Dennis' vocal on "Angel Come Home" lip-synched or re-recorded somehow. Everytime I watch the video of this performance, something looks out of whack, much like Brian's recent Christmas TV appearances.
Jason
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2006, 01:01:16 PM »

That sounds like a live vocal to me.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2006, 01:31:54 PM »

That sounds like a live vocal to me.

I think it's mostly live, with a bit of punch-in done later to redo some lines, or parts of lines.

C-Man
Jason
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2006, 01:32:49 PM »

Maybe. Who knows with them? They overdubbed the hell out of Knebworth.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2006, 01:37:04 PM »

Don't want to take the thread off topic, but did you guys ever hear Mick Fleetwood's version of "Angel Come Home"?  Do ya like it?
Jason
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2006, 01:38:28 PM »

Haven't heard it, man. Sorry.

Has anyone here heard the BBs do Don't Talk?
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2006, 01:44:18 PM »

Yes.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Jason
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2006, 01:46:55 PM »

The Help Me Tampa boot, Ian?
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2006, 01:48:15 PM »

Yeah.
And Long Lost Surf Songs.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Jason
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2006, 01:49:48 PM »

That Tampa boot has such poor sound. There's a boot from Orlando in April 1974 (I think, I know the year) with better sound, and complete too.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2006, 06:41:47 PM »

That Tampa boot has such poor sound. There's a boot from Orlando in April 1974 (I think, I know the year) with better sound, and complete too.
I've got a tape of Tampa in better quality, with sound similar to Orlando.  And it has a complete "Don't Talk". 

C-Man
Jason
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2006, 06:42:53 PM »

I did find another 1974 soundboard in my research, a show from Milwaukee, WI.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2006, 04:03:21 AM »

We should use this thread to talk about the curiosities that the band performed live.

I was shocked when someone sent me a couple of setlists recently.  One was a 1996 show that had "School Day" in it...probably the last time they did something from KTSA.  Another was a 1997 show that had "When I Grow Up (To Be A Man)".  That kind of kills that long-standing myth that WIGU was never done live between that one mid-60's TV appearance and 2002.

I once had a tape of a 1990 concert where Al sang lead on "California Saga-California".  It was so amazing it made me wonder why they didn't have him sing the lead on the original...it would have been way better.

Last year, when M&B did "It's OK", they used the opening of "California Beach" as an intro.  It sounded really natural, and it was better than just starting with a drum intro or no intro, like they did in 2004.  I guess they were toying around with different intros and found that one.  I hope they kept it...I heard them rehearsing it before the show, and it was exciting to hear something I couldn't identify immediately.

To this day, I still haven't heard any recordings of Dave Marks singing the lead on DYWD.  Was anyone fortunate enough to hear that live during that short period?

On a completely unrelated note, anyone know why Bruce has sung the lead on "Wendy" since the 90's?  His lead is often pretty weak on it...

Good vibes,
Eric
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2006, 01:42:48 PM »

Well I understand the Lovester's unsettlement with the audience. This was right before he played Sumahama, which he was quite into.

How about when the band tried doing the disco version of Here Comes The Night at Radio City Music Hall in March 1979? Almost unanimous disapproval. Only lasted for two shows.

The band brought back California to the setlists in 1990, but that didn't last long. No one got into the song, unfortunately.

I've heard a recording of a performance of "Here Comes the Night" from the Radio City Music Hall, and curiously I didn't hear any booing. I just heard a rather normal amount of applause at the end of the song. Maybe it was another crowd from that run of shows that booed more heavily.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2006, 01:47:39 PM »

Is Dennis' vocal on "Angel Come Home" lip-synched or re-recorded somehow. Everytime I watch the video of this performance, something looks out of whack, much like Brian's recent Christmas TV appearances.

I think the BB's recorded live versions of the songs in front of an audience, and then lip-synched to those live recordings for the actual TV show. There is a totally live audio recording of them performing "Good Timin'" with Dennis on lead vocals, and it purports to be from the Midnight Special taping. I don't think that song made it to air, nor do I know if they even lip-syched to it on the broadcast at all.

I've heard they also performed "Baby Blue" live for that Midnight Special taping, but there aren't even any audio recordings of that, nor are they are any live recordings of them performing "Baby Blue" as far as I know.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2006, 01:51:41 PM »

Ehhhh, I felt that in 1979-81, they just didn't seem to care. Those years aren't the best from the BBs. They did take an upward turn around 1982 when Carl returned after his hiatus.

Really, they were never tighter than they were from 1970-74.

I agree with this, but I do think the BB's sometimes sounded pretty solid in 1980, especially considering that at some shows it was one of the last times in the BB's history that the actual BB's on stage outnumbered the backing band members (at something like the Washington DC '80 show, there are six BB's and only three backing members).

Just a few years later, Dennis was gone, Brian was rarely there, and that left four BB's and a backing band usually including Figeuroa, Kowalski, Meros, Foskett, Hinsche, and Carter.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2006, 01:58:24 PM »

Off the top of my head, some other out of the ordinary live inclusions in the BB's setlists over the years:

I'm Waiting for the Day - 1975 w/ Billy Hinsche on lead vocal
Wild Honey - 1976 w/ Carl on lead
Come Softly To Me - a few shows in 1981, I think Mike sang this
Be My Baby - 1982, Mike on lead
California Calling, It's Gettin' Late, She Believes in Love Again, Crack at Your Love - all briefly performed on '85 tour (as well as of course "Getcha Back", which stayed in the setlist for another year or two)
Goin' On, Some of Your Love, Livin' With a Heartache - performed briefly on the 1980 tour ("School Days" survived for awhile longer)
Island Girl, In My Car, Somewhere Near Japan - performed on occasion in 1989-1990

I'll think of more later...... (four posts in a row is enough I think!)

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2006, 02:01:30 PM »

Okay, a few more really odd ones quickly:

A Day in the Life of a Tree - 1971 (Jack Rieley and on another occassion allegedly Brian Wilson on lead vocal)
Love Me Tender - 1977
Bony Maronie - 1984
Forever - 1988 (Carl on lead)
Okie From Muskogee - 1988 (brief semi-parody version)
This Whole World - 1988 (Carl on lead)

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2006, 02:15:59 PM »

i have a 45 of California Dreamin'/Lady Liberty

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2006, 02:25:22 PM »

I think the BB's recorded live versions of the songs in front of an audience, and then lip-synched to those live recordings for the actual TV show. There is a totally live audio recording of them performing "Good Timin'" with Dennis on lead vocals, and it purports to be from the Midnight Special taping. I don't think that song made it to air, nor do I know if they even lip-syched to it on the broadcast at all.

I've heard they also performed "Baby Blue" live for that Midnight Special taping, but there aren't even any audio recordings of that, nor are they are any live recordings of them performing "Baby Blue" as far as I know.

I saw (and video taped) the original airing back in April or May of '79.  No, they did not do "Good Timin'" on that show, although yes, they reportedly rehearesed it.  This is the first I'v EVER heard of them even considering "Baby Blue", and I highly doubt it.   Most of the performances were live, but like I said, some punch-ins were needed. 

C-Man
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2006, 02:57:13 PM »

"Wild Honey" in '76 with carl on lead? "Love me tender"Huh Are there recordings of these??

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jason
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2006, 04:58:29 PM »

Absolutely! The Beach Boys played Wild Honey in November 1976 at two Madison Square Garden shows. Recordings exist for both of these shows.

Love Me Tender I believe was a one-show deal, and no recording has surfaced to the best of my knowledge.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2006, 10:02:44 PM »

A Day in the Life of a Tree - 1971 (Jack Rieley and on another occassion allegedly Brian Wilson on lead vocal)

I think I may have inadvertently started that rumor a while back on the old SS Board.  I misunderstood the guy I was trading with, and it's actually just Brian being invited on stage to play organ on ADITLOAT while Jack sang it.   After many people on the board questioned this, I took a closer listen, and sure enough that was the case.  It was not Brian singing.  Although that doesn't rule out that he sang it another time...but that's pretty unlikely.

Good vibes,
Eric
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2006, 11:20:57 PM »

I think I may have inadvertently started that rumor a while back on the old SS Board.  I misunderstood the guy I was trading with, and it's actually just Brian being invited on stage to play organ on ADITLOAT while Jack sang it.   After many people on the board questioned this, I took a closer listen, and sure enough that was the case.  It was not Brian singing.  Although that doesn't rule out that he sang it another time...but that's pretty unlikely.

Good vibes,
Eric

There was a story that somebody told on the old Cabinessence board of a show, presumably different from the show of which a recording exists of Rieley singing the song, where Brian was coaxed on stage and sang the song himself. It's certainly possible that the story was of the same show, and the person incorrectly remembered Brian singing it. But the person seemed to be like a well-informed fan, and I would think (or hope) that he would be able to tell the difference between Jack Rieley's voice and Brian's! Smiley

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2006, 11:30:53 PM »

I saw (and video taped) the original airing back in April or May of '79.  No, they did not do "Good Timin'" on that show, although yes, they reportedly rehearesed it.  This is the first I'v EVER heard of them even considering "Baby Blue", and I highly doubt it.   Most of the performances were live, but like I said, some punch-ins were needed. 

C-Man

I have the show on videotape as well. Punch-ins or overdubs of some sort seem possible, but my recollection is that pretty much the entire performance of "Angel Come Home" doesn't quite match Dennis' lips. Given that the recording existing of "Good Timin'" is certainly totally live, if that performance is from rehearsals or recording sessions for the TV show, it seems more likely to me that they pre-recorded any material that doesn't match their lips on the TV airing, as opposed to post-production work of some sort.

As for "Baby Blue", I read this report from somebody who was at the taping (which may have also been where I heard about the idea of the BB's pre-recording some of the songs in front of the audience and then taping the show). As with any report from somebody on the internet about an event that happened twenty-some years ago, I read such reports with some skepticism. But when I read such reports, I make a judgement based on how informed the fan seems to be and how well they recall details of the event. The "Baby Blue" report I read seemed pretty credible considering the circumstances.

Apart from some of the string arrangement, "Baby Blue" would otherwise not be too difficult to perform live, mostly piano with some guitar.

I never even knew until I read Jon Stebbins' book that the BB's (well, at least Dennis and the BB touring band) performed a couple of songs from "Pacific Ocean Blue" at a few BB shows in 1977. I can't remember the titles for sure, but I think one of them was "What's Wrong."

Then there is the aborted Dennis solo tour. I vaguely recall that it was Brad Elliott that mentioned they found a tape box in the archives marked as tour rehearsal recordings, but the tape was blank or missing.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx