gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 09:44:55 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Live Setlist  (Read 13367 times)
analogdemon
Smiley Smile Associate

I've been in this town so long...

View Profile
« on: February 17, 2006, 01:26:53 PM »

Hey Everyone,

Can anyone tell me a) If Mike and Bruce still play these in concert on occasion (I know the answer is 'no' for some of them); and b) If they don't, around when they were dropped from the setlist?

1. Sail On, Sailor
2. Marcella
3. It's OK
4. Add Some Music to Your Day
5. Good Timin'
6. Lady Lynda
6. Come Go With Me
7. Getcha Back
8. Goin' On

Thanks!

I once had a dream so I packed up and split for the city.  I soon found out that my lonely life wasn't so pretty.
Jason
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 01:28:58 PM »

1. Sail On, Sailor - Appears intermittently in the setlists from year to year.
2. Marcella - Never.
3. It's OK - Appeared a little in 2000 then came back with a vengeance in 2004.
4. Add Some Music to Your Day - Never.
5. Good Timin' - Never.
6. Lady Lynda - Never.
6. Come Go With Me - Almost every show.
7. Getcha Back - Came back in 2004.
8. Goin' On - Never.

analogdemon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 01:31:04 PM »

1. Sail On, Sailor - Appears intermittently in the setlists from year to year.
2. Marcella - Never.
3. It's OK - Appeared a little in 2000 then came back with a vengeance in 2004.
4. Add Some Music to Your Day - Never.
5. Good Timin' - Never.
6. Lady Lynda - Never.
6. Come Go With Me - Almost every show.
7. Getcha Back - Came back in 2004.
8. Goin' On - Never.

Thanks dude.  Does anyone else know when the last time some of these songs were played live?

I once had a dream so I packed up and split for the city.  I soon found out that my lonely life wasn't so pretty.
Jason
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 01:34:27 PM »

I would say 2004. The 2005 setlists aren't overly imaginative, they're pretty basic and standard.
analogdemon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2006, 01:39:44 PM »

I would say 2004. The 2005 setlists aren't overly imaginative, they're pretty basic and standard.

No, no.  I mean like the last time the songs that you marked as "never" got played live by "The Beach Boys", be it Mike & Bruce, or the full band pre-1998.

Jason
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2006, 01:41:36 PM »

2. Marcella - Stopped playing in 1975.
4. Add Some Music to Your Day - Played in 1970 then dusted off for the 1993 box set mini-tour.
5. Good Timin' - Last played in 1980.
6. Lady Lynda - Last played in 1982. Revisited in the late 80s and early 90s as "Little Lady".
8. Goin' On - Lasted for a few shows in 1980.
analogdemon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2006, 01:46:21 PM »

Thanks!

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2006, 05:09:19 AM »

as little lady? I thought it was Lady Liberty?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2006, 05:24:08 AM »

Wembley Arena 1993 - Al sang it as "Little Lady". I nearly wet myself laughing.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2006, 05:42:19 AM »

2. Marcella - Stopped playing in 1975.
4. Add Some Music to Your Day - Played in 1970 then dusted off for the 1993 box set mini-tour.
5. Good Timin' - Last played in 1980.
6. Lady Lynda - Last played in 1982. Revisited in the late 80s and early 90s as "Little Lady".
8. Goin' On - Lasted for a few shows in 1980.

"Good Timin'" was brought back in '82 (after Carl rejoined) and played that June & July, at least. 
It was dropped by the time I saw them in September.

"Lady Lynda" was done as "Lady Liberty" at a few shows in Summer '86.

C-Man
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2006, 07:43:52 AM »

1986 -- Lady Liberty.

If it got performed after Al's divorce from Lynda, it was Little Lady.  Hard to sing a love song about someone you've divorced from, unless you are in Fleetwood Mac.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2006, 08:11:14 AM »

1986 -- Lady Liberty.

If it got performed after Al's divorce from Lynda, it was Little Lady.  Hard to sing a love song about someone you've divorced from, unless you are in Fleetwood Mac.

Well, after Al's divorce (1983) and second marriage (1984), but  before it was "Little Lady" (1993), it was "Lady Liberty" (1986)...in honor of the rennovation of the Statue of Liberty.  A studio version of that (same backing track, and oddly, same backing vocals) was the B-side of "Rock 'n' Roll To The Rescue" that summer.  I saw them on July 3rd, '86, here in Omaha, and they did that version of it.  The next day, the Fourth of July, they did it at Farm Aid II in Austin (available on booted video) and later that day in New York Harbor, I believe.   So, three variations of the same song over the years.

C-Man
Jason
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2006, 08:12:02 AM »

I should've checked my bootleg collection a little more closely, I forgot that Lady Liberty had been performed live.

You should've heard the BBs do Buzz Buzz Buzz live in '84.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2006, 08:32:31 AM »

I should've checked my bootleg collection a little more closely, I forgot that Lady Liberty had been performed live.

You should've heard the BBs do Buzz Buzz Buzz live in '84.

Ah, but I did!  I thoght it was kinda cool.  They do it on the July 4th '84 Showtime special, with Billy on piano.  When I saw them that year, Billy was absent and Bruce did the piano. 
Also, I guess "Lady Liberty" was the flip side of "California Dreamin'", not "Rock 'n' Roll To The Rescue" as I stated.  The first time I heard it was live...imagine my shock!

C-Man
Jason
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2006, 08:37:07 AM »

We should use this thread to talk about the curiosities that the band performed live.

One example that comes to mind is a performance of Pom Pom Play Girl (or at least the first verse) at an Indianapolis show in mid-1971. The crowd didn't seem to buy it. Mike just having one of his laughs.

Or maybe an impromptu performance of the chorus of 409 at the Nassau Coliseum show in 1979 broadcast on the radio, which ended with Mike telling the audience to "shut up for a while!".
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2006, 08:45:35 AM »

We should use this thread to talk about the curiosities that the band performed live.

One example that comes to mind is a performance of Pom Pom Play Girl (or at least the first verse) at an Indianapolis show in mid-1971. The crowd didn't seem to buy it. Mike just having one of his laughs.

Or maybe an impromptu performance of the chorus of 409 at the Nassau Coliseum show in 1979 broadcast on the radio, which ended with Mike telling the audience to "shut up for a while!".

Yeah...and that "shut up for awhile" was said jokingly (as in Mike meant it as a joke...but he still meant it!).

C-Man
Jason
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2006, 08:51:56 AM »

Well I understand the Lovester's unsettlement with the audience. This was right before he played Sumahama, which he was quite into.

How about when the band tried doing the disco version of Here Comes The Night at Radio City Music Hall in March 1979? Almost unanimous disapproval. Only lasted for two shows.

The band brought back California to the setlists in 1990, but that didn't last long. No one got into the song, unfortunately.
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2006, 10:01:12 AM »

That Nassau show and that whole incident proved the BB dilemma in the late 70's.  Just before Mike chides the audience, Al apologizes to the audience and asks them to be patient while they do songs from LA.  Bruce follows that up with "you know you have to play the new stuff" and THEN Mike does his thing.  And it did NOT sound like a joke.  Even Carl got in on the act, agreeing with Mike to play that quick snippet of 409 with a strained "all righhhtttt..." in his voice.

No one wanted to hear the new stuff.  That's why those songs don't stay in the play list.  We hardcore fans are outnumbered drastically.
Jason
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2006, 10:08:40 AM »

Still, it makes for good comedy.
analogdemon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2006, 11:03:33 AM »

That's a damn shame.  Personally I'd LOVE to hear the L.A. stuff live.  Too bad I was born in 1979. Tongue

Jason
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2006, 11:04:23 AM »

They did Good Timin', Lady Lynda, Angel Come Home, Sumahama, Here Comes The Night, and Shortenin' Bread. Most of the renditions sucked, really.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2006, 12:50:34 PM »

That's a damn shame.  Personally I'd LOVE to hear the L.A. stuff live.  Too bad I was born in 1979. Tongue

If you can find a video copy of the "Midnight Special" when they hosted it, you can hear and see "Angel Come Home", "Lady Lynda", and a lip-synched "Here Comes The Night". 

C-Man
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2006, 12:54:30 PM »

They did Good Timin', Lady Lynda, Angel Come Home, Sumahama, Here Comes The Night, and Shortenin' Bread. Most of the renditions sucked, really.

The only live version of an "L.A." song that I truly thought SUUUU-UU-UCKED was the one of "Good Timin'" with Mike singing lead on the Easter Seals Telethon.  Talk about something stinking!   

A close second was the version of Dennis singing it at Radio City Music Hall.  The live "Shortenin' Bread" was kind of a turd, as well, but "Angel", "Lynda", and (yes, even) "Sumahama" were pretty good live, IMO.

C-Man
Jason
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2006, 12:55:44 PM »

Ehhhh, I felt that in 1979-81, they just didn't seem to care. Those years aren't the best from the BBs. They did take an upward turn around 1982 when Carl returned after his hiatus.

Really, they were never tighter than they were from 1970-74.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2006, 12:57:13 PM »

The only live version of an "L.A." song that I truly thought SUUUU-UU-UCKED was the one of "Good Timin'" with Mike singing lead on the Easter Seals Telethon.  Talk about something stinking!   

C-Man

Not the best version.... But Brian looked kinda cool with his hat...

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx