gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:08:57 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gershwin Album  (Read 8880 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2010, 11:59:08 AM »

Al's not family -- so all of that drama is out of the way. And he's an old high school buddy. I think he and Brian just enjoy one another as cordial acquaintances. I don't think them touring together worked out -- for whatever reason (I don't know how much Brian respects Al as a musician, exactly) -- but as two old guys that went through it all together, they have a bond. Sometimes it's surprising who you end up staying in touch with.
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2010, 12:23:29 PM »

In 2004 there was a BBC documentary "The Beach boys - Wouldn't It Be Nice" where Al stated that he wasn't in touch with Brian and that he couldn't even make a phone call to his old high school buddy due to Brian's people not letting him.

That struck me as odd, because Bruce was clearly in touch with Brian. Bruce gave Brian a lot of encouragement after he got hold of an 'unofficial' SMiLE DVD, and when Bruce had his heart surgery Brian was one of the first to call him and ask how he was doing.

Anyway...good to see Brian and Al seem to be able to hang out without any pressure. Maybe Brian could stand Mike's company for more than 5 minutes if Mike didn't keep asking Brian to tour with him...
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2010, 02:29:33 PM »

In 2004 there was a BBC documentary "The Beach boys - Wouldn't It Be Nice" where Al stated that he wasn't in touch with Brian and that he couldn't even make a phone call to his old high school buddy due to Brian's people not letting him.

That struck me as odd, because Bruce was clearly in touch with Brian. Bruce gave Brian a lot of encouragement after he got hold of an 'unofficial' SMiLE DVD, and when Bruce had his heart surgery Brian was one of the first to call him and ask how he was doing.

Anyway...good to see Brian and Al seem to be able to hang out without any pressure. Maybe Brian could stand Mike's company for more than 5 minutes if Mike didn't keep asking Brian to tour with him...

First, I would take most things that Al says in interviews with a grain of salt. Some of the strangest things come out of Al when he is being interviewed.

Second, Mike hasn't been asking Brian to tour with him. In the interviews that I have read, Mike simply says that he would love to work with Brian again, especially songwriting, and that a place is always open for Brian if he (Brian) chooses to re-join The Beach Boys.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2010, 04:41:20 PM »

We have to clear this up because it's rarely stated--Brian gave Mike a demo in 2006 (I would say May-June would be an approximation) telling him he wouldn't mind Mike putting lyrics to it. Mike said he didn't want to work that way and he wanted to start from scratch. Brian said "like Do it Again?" and Mike said "just like Do it Again." And Brian, as far as I know, never got back to him...moving onto greener pastures.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2010, 04:59:45 PM »

While I think it's easy to dismiss Mike's action in that case as 'blowing his chance', I think that was perfectly reasonable. Working by passing things around is a pretty big difference, and, in my opinion,  probably felt like working through a filter again (i.e. like Landy).

Will the two get together and write the way they did "Do It Again"? Only time will tell... Smiley
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2010, 06:46:04 AM »

....one beer is fine, three or four will make me sleep not that well and will make me feel worse in the early morning.

Only three or four? I might as well drink water! And yes, I'm mentally stable.  Undecided
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 06:46:57 AM by Dada » Logged
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2010, 06:54:44 AM »

While I think it's easy to dismiss Mike's action in that case as 'blowing his chance', I think that was perfectly reasonable. Working by passing things around is a pretty big difference, and, in my opinion,  probably felt like working through a filter again (i.e. like Landy).
Will the two get together and write the way they did "Do It Again"? Only time will tell... Smiley

If Brian's trying to avoid conflict, then it makes sense that he doesn't want to work in the same room with Mike. I'm not saying either side is right or wrong, but Brian might be worried about bringing up old tensions.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2010, 07:13:45 AM »

If Brian's trying to avoid conflict, then it makes sense that he doesn't want to work in the same room with Mike. I'm not saying either side is right or wrong, but Brian might be worried about bringing up old tensions.

I think... I think it would be, if not nice, then at least polite to let Brian find out if he could be in the same room as Mike for a while, as opposed to telling him he won't like it. Granted it's some years down the trail, but they got along fine on the Capitol rooftop, and more importantly in the office beforehand.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2010, 09:40:31 AM »

Back in 2003-2005 timeframe Brian said, on more than one occasion, that he couldn't be around Mike for more than a few minutes because of Mike's ego and how Mike always tried to pressure him into doing some dates with the Beach Boys.

Publically Mike would say something like 'I have an offer, why doesn't Brian join us on tour for say 20 dates. It would be wonderful'...who knows how it was put and how Brian took it in private?

Since then things do seem to have got a little better.
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2010, 09:43:20 AM »

I know only his nearest and dearest can know for sure, but does anyone on the board think Brian still possesses the ability to look after himself or do they think if left to his own devices would he hit early 80's rock bottom again?

My feeling is that Brian is capable of more than we give him credit for. When it suitsSmiley

When he's feeling positive about life in general or  specific project, he can put almost as much effort and creativity into it as he did 45 yeas ago. He also clearly can look after himself.

But remember Brian suffers from depression. It is not an illness that can be treated with totally predictable results. Some days he'll be on form, fun, talkative, fun, creative, hard-working and maybe even talk to fans who bump into him at a restaurant. Other days he won't even want to get out of bed.

That's depression folks. As I keep saying, if you've ever lived with someone who suffers from it...you know how it is...even with expert medical/psychiatric help it cannot be cured. It can be treated, and the sufferer will still have good and bad days.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2010, 02:16:18 AM »

I know only his nearest and dearest can know for sure, but does anyone on the board think Brian still possesses the ability to look after himself or do they think if left to his own devices would he hit early 80's rock bottom again?

My feeling is that Brian is capable of more than we give him credit for. When it suitsSmiley

When he's feeling positive about life in general or  specific project, he can put almost as much effort and creativity into it as he did 45 yeas ago. He also clearly can look after himself.

But remember Brian suffers from depression. It is not an illness that can be treated with totally predictable results. Some days he'll be on form, fun, talkative, fun, creative, hard-working and maybe even talk to fans who bump into him at a restaurant. Other days he won't even want to get out of bed.

That's depression folks. As I keep saying, if you've ever lived with someone who suffers from it...you know how it is...even with expert medical/psychiatric help it cannot be cured. It can be treated, and the sufferer will still have good and bad days.

Wise words.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx