gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:21:26 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hawthorne CD cover photo  (Read 2057 times)
mikee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 02, 2010, 11:27:19 AM »

I love this classic photo.  Does anyone know the date, photographer, and specific circumstances of this photo?  Are there (surviving) additional photos from the shoot?  That's Brian's car in the driveway?  Alan's hot rod on the street?  Murry's actual lawnmower?  Mike's first unusual hat? (this one looks pretty sharp!)  Is the hotrod on 119th (or is the photo looking East at Kornblum Ave.)?    
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 10:37:03 PM by mikee » Logged
Jason
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 11:32:00 AM »

The date of the photo is 2001. Photographer was one Adobe Systems PhotoShop. Specific circumstances of the photo? It's one of the worst Photoshop jobs imaginable. Mr. or Ms. PhotoShop should be ashamed.

In all seriousness, it's a vintage PICTURE, but as stated, it was extensively (and poorly) PhotoShopped. Look at some of the shadows.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 11:39:42 AM »

eh?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 12:41:39 PM »

It's been photo shopped so well that I can't even see anything  Razz
rogerlancelot
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 01:48:19 PM »

I'm assuming it's the same photo used for the cover of Hawthorne Blvd?
lupinofan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 03:28:47 PM »

I'm assuming it's the same photo used for the cover of Hawthorne Blvd?

If it is, the thing that struck me about it the first time I saw that CD is how everybody's heads are at the same point across a straight line. Even Al Jardine, supposedly a good ten feet or so further from the camera than Mike Love, has his head at the same height. Which, on that scale, would make him about 9ft tall!
mikee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 11:08:05 PM »

Sorry about the post title.  I corrected it.

If it is, the thing that struck me about it the first time I saw that CD is how everybody's heads are at the same point across a straight line. Even Al Jardine, supposedly a good ten feet or so further from the camera than Mike Love, has his head at the same height. Which, on that scale, would make him about 9ft tall!
 Not necessarily, it would depend on a number of factors such as, how far back the camera was, the lens used, and the angle that the photograph was taken at.  It does not appear to be a perfectly level shot.   I am looking right now at some of Elliot Landy's photos of the Band in Woodstock, NY and sometimes people way back in these photos  actually appear much taller (let alone appearing to be the same height).    
OK though, I hadn't really thought about it being photo shopped.  That's too bad I guess, but it's still pretty cool.  That still leaves me with at least as many questions about it.   Is the scene from an earlier photo that is actually the front yard of the Wilson's house?  I wonder what were the source photos of the BB's?  If Dennis wasn't actually pushing a lawnmower  then what was he doing? (with his clothing fully on)

« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 11:25:09 PM by mikee » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 02:33:49 AM »

Even Al Jardine, supposedly a good ten feet or so further from the camera than Mike Love, has his head at the same height. Which, on that scale, would make him about 9ft tall!

One of rock and roll's best-kept secrets this. Al used to appear on stage kneeling, with his shoes tied to his knees, to make him appear a similar size to the rest of the band. The fear was that Al's height would eclipse Brian's genius, and make him the reason people bought the records and attended gigs, reducing he band to little more than a freak show.

Mike would often accidentally tread on Al's calves and feet while doing his frontman-prancing during performances.  This was referred by Al in his song "Take Better Care of My Feet, Mike", written for the Surf's Up album but changed at Mike's insistence to "Take Good Care of Your Feet, Pete". No record as to whether Mike subsequently claimed royalties for the subtle change in lyric.

Other band members referred to Al as "Big Sir" – another song title by which Al's pleas to other band members to stop their ribbing and bullying - were conveyed but again unheeded.

Al has since had height reduction surgery and moved to somewhere on the California coast, where he has reportedly been writing a postcard to his former band mates for the last five years.

“We live in divisive times.”
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 02:45:52 AM »

Even Al Jardine, supposedly a good ten feet or so further from the camera than Mike Love, has his head at the same height. Which, on that scale, would make him about 9ft tall!

One of rock and roll's best-kept secrets this. Al used to appear on stage kneeling, with his shoes tied to his knees, to make him appear a similar size to the rest of the band. The fear was that Al's height would eclipse Brian's genius, and make him the reason people bought the records and attended gigs, reducing he band to little more than a freak show.

Mike would often accidentally tread on Al's calves and feet while doing his frontman-prancing during performances.  This was referred by Al in his song "Take Better Care of My Feet, Mike", written for the Surf's Up album but changed at Mike's insistence to "Take Good Care of Your Feet, Pete". No record as to whether Mike subsequently claimed royalties for the subtle change in lyric.

Other band members referred to Al as "Big Sir" – another song title by which Al's pleas to other band members to stop their ribbing and bullying - were conveyed but again unheeded.

Al has since had height reduction surgery and moved to somewhere on the California coast, where he has reportedly been writing a postcard to his former band mates for the last five years.

LOL Best. Post. Ever. Smokin
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 02:47:59 AM by The Heartical Don » Logged

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 07:34:08 AM »

Mike would often accidentally tread on Al's calves and feet while doing his frontman-prancing during performances.  This was referred by Al in his song "Take Better Care of My Feet, Mike", written for the Surf's Up album but changed at Mike's insistence to "Take Good Care of Your Feet, Pete". No record as to whether Mike subsequently claimed royalties for the subtle change in lyric.

LOL Best. Post. Ever. Smokin

Priceless, indeed. LOL

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 07:52:55 AM »

Technically it's not a very good job, but nevertheless I like that image a lot.
Jason
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2010, 08:50:29 AM »

I second the Don and our muted friend...best post ever.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx