gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680853 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 12:00:53 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New recording of "We Are The World" includes Brian & Alan.  (Read 18179 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« on: February 01, 2010, 09:47:53 PM »

For Haiti, of course. 'Cast' of 80 or so.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 10:07:53 PM »

Good God. I also just read that Pete Townshend of The Who has authorised a hip hip remix of My Generation that will feature Slash. Just because Haiti is suffering, doesn't mean we have to.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 10:09:59 PM »

Backing vocal.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
rogerlancelot
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 10:50:21 PM »

Good God. I also just read that Pete Townshend of The Who has authorised a hip hip remix of My Generation that will feature Slash. Just because Haiti is suffering, doesn't mean we have to.

Ever battle Slash on Guitar Hero III? Best part of that game... And now even more so!

On a serious side, I actually once spoke to Slash on the telephone. Long story short, my then room mate was dating the drummer's mother from the Kenny Wayne Sheppard Band and phones were swapped around (they were the opening band on a G&R tour) and suddenly I was talking to Slash. Didn't really have much to say or really know what to say. But it was certainly one of those strange moments in life. Kenny's parents still live just down the street from my mother by the way.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 10:59:12 PM »

Ever battle Slash on Guitar Hero III? Best part of that game... And now even more so!

On a serious side, I actually once spoke to Slash on the telephone. Long story short, my then room mate was dating the drummer's mother from the Kenny Wayne Sheppard Band and phones were swapped around (they were the opening band on a G&R tour) and suddenly I was talking to Slash. Didn't really have much to say or really know what to say. But it was certainly one of those strange moments in life. Kenny's parents still live just down the street from my mother by the way.
Pretty cool that you got to talk to slash. I once spoke to Santa Clause on the phone once when I was a little boy.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 11:08:58 PM »

So Brian won't be one of the featured parts? Wonder if he or Al would be audible...or sound like each other! LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 11:37:25 PM »

I hate that song. Sounds like a Coke (or coke, for that matter) advert.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 12:30:43 AM »

Okay, which of the completists among us will buy purely for the presence of Al & Bri?

“We live in divisive times.”
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 12:33:32 AM »

Okay, which of the completists among us will buy purely for the presence of Al & Bri?

Not me. I'd rather send the money in an envelope to Haiti.

rogerlancelot
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 12:48:36 AM »

I can see where it would be hard to believe such a conversation took place but it did. Can't remember talking about much more than the weather. This was back in spring of 1996. I guess now if I spoke to him I would ask him about Velvet Underground. They weren't such a bad band. Never cared for Axle's vocals though (G&R) although I used to play "November Rain" on the piano for girls in the hopes of getting laid (and was very often successful!).

Back on topic, why not write a new song for Haiti instead of retreading 80's music that was written for Africa? On the other hand, IMO "Surf's Up" would have been totally appropriate for New Orleans after Katrina. For those of you who have ever been there (or live there now) you would get what I mean.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2010, 12:56:04 AM »

I can see where it would be hard to believe such a conversation took place but it did. Can't remember talking about much more than the weather. This was back in spring of 1996. I guess now if I spoke to him I would ask him about Velvet Underground. They weren't such a bad band. Never cared for Axle's vocals though (G&R) although I used to play "November Rain" on the piano for girls in the hopes of getting laid (and was very often successful!).

Back on topic, why not write a new song for Haiti instead of retreading 80's music that was written for Africa? On the other hand, IMO "Surf's Up" would have been totally appropriate for New Orleans after Katrina. For those of you who have ever been there (or live there now) you would get what I mean.

Sorry... your post elicited a black joke in me. A new version of 'Kokomo' with 'Haiti' as the title, of inserted somewhere...

Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 03:36:47 AM »

Link to "We are the World" article in Washington Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/02/02/AR2010020200485.html

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2010, 05:58:37 AM »

I remember when the original "We Are the World" came out and fans complained that none of the Beach Boys participated. Now that oversight's been rectified -- good for Brian and Al!

The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2010, 06:19:21 AM »

I hope that this single doesn't carry the Jardine Curse... Cheesy
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2010, 06:33:10 AM »

I hope that this single doesn't carry the Jardine Curse... Cheesy

No way. If push comes to shove, a little voodoo will lift that curse.

Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2010, 07:04:42 AM »

didn't like the first one, definitely won't be buying this one.  Do They Know It's Christmas was a better song IMO.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2010, 08:02:40 AM »

This has to be the one picture I thought I'd never see  Grin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2010, 08:20:48 AM »

Who is that guy to the right of Al?

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2010, 08:34:20 AM »

This has to be the one picture I thought I'd never see  Grin

Who is that guy to the right of Al?

Kanye west, and Tony Bennet right behind.

What a strange grouping of artists.

Here's Brian and and Al

« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 08:36:40 AM by Wild_Honey-In_Stereo » Logged

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2010, 09:04:15 AM »

...I guess now if I spoke to him I would ask him about Velvet Underground.

I think you meant you'd ask him about Velvet Revolver, right? Actually, I'd be more interested in what he thought about the Velvet Underground!

I would have thought that someone could have written a new song to benefit Haiti; the thought of hearing "We Are The World" again is distressing.
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2010, 09:21:28 AM »

Well, unfortunately the LA Times has a little more about Brian; (I'll excerpt it here, then give the link):

An all-star 'We Are the World' remake for Haiti relief

By Geoff Boucher

February 2, 2010

Twenty-five years after the all-star recording of "We Are the World" became a signature moment in celebrity altruism and pop-music history, a new collective of stars came together Monday at the same Hollywood recording studio to record a new version for Haiti earthquake relief.

Just as Michael Jackson, Bruce Springsteen and Bob Dylan descended on the A&M Studios on La Brea to sing for famine relief in Africa, Barbra Streisand, Celine Dion, Kanye West and Keith Urban turned up at the samesoundstage(now called Henson Recording Studios) to join an all-star chorus that was 100 voices strong.

The scene on Monday, like the original session, was a fascinating mix of star confluence.

Where else would 83-year-old Tony Bennett sing in unison with 15-year-old Justin Bieber? Emphasizing the cross-generational representation, the choir featured two Beach Boys (Brian Wilson and Al Jardine) and three Jonas Brothers (Nick, Joe and Kevin).

There was a ripple of curiosity in a media tent set up in an adjacent compound when two people dressed in lime-colored masks and body socks joined the singalong.

Clearly, the extras were green-screen place holders, digital "blank spots" for people who would be added later by a visual effects team. Would it be the late Michael Jackson? An absent Bono or Janet Jackson?

Apparently not. The word at the event was that the green people were keeping a spot for Santana, who had to leave before the evening video shoot, and 67-year-old Wilson, who was having trouble standing throughout the marathon session. (Huh)

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/music/la-et-world2-2010feb02,0,4092218,full.story
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2010, 09:25:01 AM »

Hmmm... sounds more like one of good ole' Bri's practical jokes of old to me...

Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2010, 09:25:36 AM »

I'm sorry, but is anyone else wondering if Al is asking Kanye what all those funny little dots and squiggles are with the lyrics?
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2010, 09:26:02 AM »

Hey, Kanye, I'm new to the biz... how do I release an EP? Care to tell me?

Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2010, 09:41:02 AM »

AL: Hey, Brian, is it peach shirt day?
BRIAN: I'm just going to keep sitting down so they think I can't stand up. Maybe then I'll get to leave early.
TONY: Hey, it's John Denver! How's it going, John?
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx