gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:26:46 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New recording of "We Are The World" includes Brian & Alan.  (Read 18058 times)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 04, 2010, 05:50:59 AM »

Yo Brian... now you're here mon... on SOT 17 at 1'34" into Take 5 of 'Vega-Tables', how did you get dat cool vibe in dat carrot chompin' bit??
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 07:20:54 AM by The Heartical Don » Logged

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 04, 2010, 05:15:12 PM »

"hey brian, ima let you sing in a minute"
"why does no one else have sheet music? are we that old?  snoop?"
"i love that me and al are in orange cream. and i like my chair"

Kanye: "Hey Brian, I'm a genius too!"

Best so far!!!!!!  LOL

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Kamandi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 08, 2010, 12:35:38 PM »

Yo Al! Im a let you finish, but Sgt. Peppers was the best album of 1967!
rogerlancelot
« Reply #78 on: February 08, 2010, 09:34:02 PM »

Kanye has mentiond pet sounds in his blog before as an inspiration.

Wouldn't be suprised if he got along with Brian

Somebody even made a kanye west vs beach boys album, where they mixed pet sounds with his college droput album, was amazing

"hey brian, ima let you sing in a minute"
"why does no one else have sheet music? are we that old?  snoop?"
"i love that me and al are in orange cream. and i like my chair"

Grin Grin

I am not or never will be a Kanye West fan but this mashup you mentioned is one of my favorite guilty pleasures. And I actually turned my son-in-law onto Pet Sounds by giving him a copy of both (he's a dj who is into rap). Look for this one if you get a chance.
tomstuart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 09, 2010, 01:37:50 AM »

To quote Morrisey, when asked to take part in Live Aid: 'Do we really have to be made to suffer as much as those we're trying to help?'
The original version of We Are The World was horrendous. I haven't yet heard the remake, although if Simon Cowell's Haiti fund-raising single is anything to go by - a breathtakingly hideous cover of Everybody Hurts, featuring Leona Lewis doing her vocal gymnastics schtick - it'll make me want to vomit myself inside out!
I know it's for a good cause but if I want to give money to the people suffering in Haiti then i'll just donate it, quietly, without announcing it to everyone I know, and without buying some awful chari-dee single. And I wish celebrities would just do the same. I find it very distasteful that, say, sandra Bullock can't just donate a million pounds to haiti - she has to publicly announce that she's doing it. Is that benefiting the Haiti people or Sandra Bullock's public image? I mean, did you see john travolta using the tragedy as a means to promote his barmy religion? Horrid, horrid, horrid. Just give them the money, celebs, you've got enough of the stuff - and keep it to yourselves when you do.

Sorry, these things annoy me. So yeah, I wish Brian (and Al) weren't involved with such an awful song!
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 09, 2010, 06:12:37 AM »

Postcard from California, featuring cameos from Crosby, Young, Steve Miller, Brian Wilson, Flea, and KANYE WEST.

That's why Al's taking so long. He has to tweak the autotune on Kanye's rap in Help Me Rhonda.

"Help me get her out of ma muthafuckin heart"
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 09, 2010, 11:35:05 AM »

Postcard from California, featuring cameos from Crosby, Young, Steve Miller, Brian Wilson, Flea, and KANYE WEST.

That's why Al's taking so long. He has to tweak the autotune on Kanye's rap in Help Me Rhonda.

"Help me get her out of ma muthafuckin heart"
LOL LOL LOL LOL

Be on the lookout for Lil' Wayne on Don't Fight the Sea, and T-Pain on Lookin' Down The Coast!!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: February 09, 2010, 07:20:20 PM »

Autotune on Don't Fight the Sea would be great. I could totally picture it as an electropop song.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: February 09, 2010, 08:15:22 PM »

The song's cheese factor is duly noted, but I've always had a soft spot for this song.  At least the 1985 version.  Where else are you going to hear Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson, Kenny Rogers, Paul Simon and Bob Dylan all sing on the same track with the likes of Bruce Springsteen and Ray Charles?  This new version will probably be a disaster, with or without Beach Boy involvement. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 09, 2010, 11:55:20 PM »

I think it's cool that this is being attempted again with a different batch of celebrities... but in the end, it just feels like another in the looooooong line of "Michael's dead, AND profitable!" cash-ins.

This song didn't even need an overblown all-star recording - Michael's solo demo (with admittedly weaker lyrics) was pretty damn good on its own.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 12, 2010, 06:22:20 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Glny4jSciVI&feature=player_embedded

Videos out!!!

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 12, 2010, 08:11:53 PM »

Well that was...interesting.  Could have done with out the rap and the auto-tuned "singing," but parts of it were decent.  Obviously I'm biased, but I would think that Brian has earned himself a solo line over people like Enrique Iglesias, Miley Cyrus or Justin Beiber, but it was cool to see him there either way.  It's nice that they kept MJ in there too, that made me happy.
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: February 12, 2010, 09:21:05 PM »

I too liked the fact they kept Michael in there.

Though I have to say I don't like it. Original is much better, imo. I enjoyed the Maroon 5 singer/Tony Bennett parts. I agree with you, Chris Brown, that Brian earns a solo line, thought about that while watching. I did find it funny Al digging the rap part. Auto-tune on Don't Fight The Sea would be pretty hilarious. I can hear it though haha

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 12, 2010, 09:21:47 PM »

I am soooooo out of touch. When the 1985 version came out, I could identify everybody in the video. For this 2010 version, I need captions underneath because I have no idea who half of those people are.
SG7
« Reply #89 on: February 12, 2010, 09:36:47 PM »

I think it's cool that this is being attempted again with a different batch of celebrities... but in the end, it just feels like another in the looooooong line of "Michael's dead, AND profitable!" cash-ins.

This song didn't even need an overblown all-star recording - Michael's solo demo (with admittedly weaker lyrics) was pretty damn good on its own.

I find myself liking the demo more! I didn't think remaking it was necessary but... I guess as long as it goes to a good cause.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 12, 2010, 09:53:35 PM »

Pause the video at exactly 5:48 into the song. The women's face says it all.  LOL

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 12, 2010, 10:05:20 PM »

Yeah, I didn't know who anyone was this time around either.  I recognized Tony Bennett, Barbra Streisand, Josh Groban, Brian, Al, and Jeff Bridges.  I think I saw Snoop Dogg in there too, and I recognized T-Pain from the autotune.

But otherwise.... eh.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 13, 2010, 02:08:07 AM »

To quote Morrisey, when asked to take part in Live Aid: 'Do we really have to be made to suffer as much as those we're trying to help?'
The original version of We Are The World was horrendous. I haven't yet heard the remake, although if Simon Cowell's Haiti fund-raising single is anything to go by - a breathtakingly hideous cover of Everybody Hurts, featuring Leona Lewis doing her vocal gymnastics schtick - it'll make me want to vomit myself inside out!
I know it's for a good cause but if I want to give money to the people suffering in Haiti then i'll just donate it, quietly, without announcing it to everyone I know, and without buying some awful chari-dee single. And I wish celebrities would just do the same. I find it very distasteful that, say, sandra Bullock can't just donate a million pounds to haiti - she has to publicly announce that she's doing it. Is that benefiting the Haiti people or Sandra Bullock's public image? I mean, did you see john travolta using the tragedy as a means to promote his barmy religion? Horrid, horrid, horrid. Just give them the money, celebs, you've got enough of the stuff - and keep it to yourselves when you do.

Sorry, these things annoy me. So yeah, I wish Brian (and Al) weren't involved with such an awful song!

I was watching the morning news when  the "Everybody Hurts" video came on. Christ I nearly chocked on my muesli!!  Anytime something with the likes of James Blunt and Susan Boyle is about to be shown on telly there should be a flash warning in the top of the screen for a full 5 minutes beforehand!! Just more 'celebs' using a tragedy to get public exposure and boost their careers.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 03:20:19 AM by mikes beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 13, 2010, 02:24:49 AM »

T-Pain never fails to creep me out. That rap part made me think of outdated "nu metal" rubbish like Linkin Park.

I think as a whole this is even worse than the original, which is quite an accomplishment, isn't it?
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: February 13, 2010, 03:52:43 AM »

I am soooooo out of touch. When the 1985 version came out, I could identify everybody in the video. For this 2010 version, I need captions underneath because I have no idea who half of those people are.

If you know half the people, that's about 3 times as many as I knew.  I could probably count 15 people out of the 85 that I knew.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: February 13, 2010, 04:04:13 AM »

Just watched a second time.  The song just falls apart the last minute and a half or so.  Celine Dion's part is especially annoying as well.  It's all for a good cause, so I'm glad it will sell well, and I'll probably buy it, too.  But I won't be listening to it very much.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: February 13, 2010, 11:55:16 AM »

Well... it's a charity single for an outstanding cause, so should be above criticism [you know what's coming, dontcha ?].

But... it's too damn long, the rap sections are just utterly out of place, not to mention disrupting both the flow and the atmosphere, and Celine Dion manages to be even more irritating than Cyndi Lauper was first time around. MJ was a nice touch.

And yeah, I feel biblical now - discounting BDW & ACJ, I knew maybe six, seven faces.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 13, 2010, 01:18:40 PM »

I say there's no shame on not recognizing people. These are performers marketed to a specific audience, and with all due respect to all involved (including myself), most of the people posting here are not in that audience. That is, unless there are more tweens and teens here than I thought. (I know we've got a few teens.)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 13, 2010, 03:45:03 PM »

Also, I think a good handful of the artists really have any audience in the US. Not that I recognize them either!  Smiley
Ganz Allein
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 13, 2010, 04:49:58 PM »

I'm trying to figure out what Wyclef Jean yells at 6:30.  It's probably something in Haitian Creole, but it sure sounds like "Tamales!!!"
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx