gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:50:30 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al Jardine EP  (Read 54644 times)
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: June 07, 2010, 11:36:58 AM »

In some respects I'm starting to think of this project less as an Al Jardine solo and more as the final Beach Boys album. Seeing who's singing with who(even if the participants are years in doing so apart) makes this feel very special indeed.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #301 on: June 07, 2010, 11:57:48 AM »

So this isn't the version of DFTS that many of us have heard?

As far as I'm aware, yes.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Paulos
« Reply #302 on: June 07, 2010, 01:34:06 PM »

Don't suppose DW is on drums or percussion?
When's the damn thing being released?

I think thats the question we all want answering, come on Al, you're the only Beach Boy apart from Ricky who hasn't released a proper solo album, just release the damn thing!
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: June 07, 2010, 01:38:29 PM »

One of the tracks was "inspired" by the Moody Blues' "Tuesday Afternoon". My guess is that Al has expanded on that idea and now wants to rewrite or add a couple things and subtract a little. Perhaps he's waiting for Justin Hayward to fly in and do a vocal? Smiley

Dude....Al Jardine and Justin Hayward on the same record is a great idea. Imagine if Justin managed to do a song with Carl. Wow. The mind boggles at those two voices on the same record. Brian played at Wembley with the Moody Blues in 1986; he did Sloop John B and Help Me Rhonda with the Moodies backing him. John Lodge had a lot of great things to say when he introduced Brian. Of course, this was Landy-era Brian, so I imagine the appearance was mainly for publicity. Brian was in his reedy mid-80s voice, but he was quite sensational that night. At least to me. Thank John-Roger for bootlegs.

Justin released a CD called "Classic Blue" in the 1990s. The CD includes his cover of "God Only Knows."
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #304 on: June 07, 2010, 04:10:44 PM »

If they used any part of the original 1976 track, then yes, Denny could very well be on drums.  Many other parts were obviously added (in the '80s, from the sound of things), including some heavily-processed drum fills.  But to the ears of at least one expert whom I inquired with, the basic drum track COULD have been recorded at Brother Studio circa 1976, at a session which also included Ed Carter on guitar, Tim Drummond on bass, and Brian Wilson (probably on organ).
Jason
« Reply #305 on: June 07, 2010, 07:56:00 PM »

Justin released a CD called "Classic Blue" in the 1990s. The CD includes his cover of "God Only Knows."

1989 to be exact. I should know. The Moodies are my OTHER favorite band. Smiley
warnakey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #306 on: June 08, 2010, 09:57:32 AM »

I just looked on wikipedia and saw this about the new Al Jardine album:

"It will also feature a cover of "Honkin' Down the Highway" from the 1977 album The Beach Boys Love You."

Screw that crap.

AL JARDINE, IF YOU ARE READING THIS, STOP COVERING BAD SONGS AND WRITE YOUR OWN NEW MUSIC WITH HUMAN EMOTION IN IT. (i hope the America collaborations don't disappoint)
Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: June 08, 2010, 10:54:16 AM »

That's a bad song.  I await your first album with a certain anticipation...

Honk! Honk!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: June 08, 2010, 11:41:43 AM »

From the look of things, none of the songs Al has cut are really new ... they're all thinly disguised rewrites of other people's songs (Postcard from California -- Rhinestone Cowboy, etc.) or songs he's tinkered with for 20-plus years (And I Always Will).

Nothing wrong with any of this, of course. But it's not like he's sitting on a pile of undreamt-of gems,
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: June 08, 2010, 11:47:38 AM »

"Honkin' Down the Highway" has THE premiere bass line of the 20th century. Never before has dumb simplicity met with insanely catchy in such a glorious manner. Same thing with the drum fill before the song. It's like the grooviest toddler you ever heard got a hold of a drum set. That weird synth in the background takes us back to "Wendy", except now we're taken to the time when the singer won Wendy over. How could this be bad? You are no longer a BBs fan, sorry.  Angry
Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: June 08, 2010, 12:36:23 PM »

"Honkin' Down the Highway" has THE premiere bass line of the 20th century. Never before has dumb simplicity met with insanely catchy in such a glorious manner. Same thing with the drum fill before the song. It's like the grooviest toddler you ever heard got a hold of a drum set. That weird synth in the background takes us back to "Wendy", except now we're taken to the time when the singer won Wendy over. How could this be bad? You are no longer a BBs fan, sorry.  Angry

Well said.

Mike's not a Hawthorne boy. The Hawthorne guys stuck together. The Wilsons and I always had a special bond. We felt like we were a team.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: June 08, 2010, 12:41:47 PM »

Well said.

Agreed  - the original bites!

“We live in divisive times.”
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: June 08, 2010, 03:34:30 PM »

It would seem to be the same version we have heard (that was released online for a day).  Those who speculated they were hearing Mike were probably right.  I seriously doubt that Al, who works at a snails pace, decided to produce two entirely different vocal mixes.  The fact that the song titles on the online EP and the CD version are exactly the same leads me to believe they are the exact same recordings.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #313 on: June 08, 2010, 03:49:32 PM »

Those who speculated they were hearing Mike were probably right. 

Probably?  Smiley
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: June 09, 2010, 05:30:06 AM »

As far as I'm aware, yes.

It is the same recording that everyone has heard. Brian, Mike, Al, Carl and Bruce are on DFTS.   
Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: June 09, 2010, 05:32:12 AM »

When can you hear Bruce?

Are you ready for some Fun Fun Fun?!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #316 on: June 09, 2010, 10:03:45 AM »

Pretty sure Bruce sings "just let it be" at 2.58.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: June 09, 2010, 12:00:56 PM »

Oh, let's hope Denny's percussion or drums are somewhere in the mix!

Honk! Honk!
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: June 09, 2010, 12:57:49 PM »

I wonder if Al actually knows who plays what.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 01:09:18 PM by SurfRiderHawaii » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Jason
« Reply #319 on: June 09, 2010, 02:01:24 PM »

It is kinda strange that the "new" songs on Al's album seem to go back only to 1976. During the Holland period he had a few songs written; I can think of Canyon Summer and Dr. Tom right off of the top of my head although apparently only the latter was recorded and presumably still exists in some form. But we can all thank f*** that Rubles wasn't redone for this album. That one is on a Country Love/Keepin' the Summer Alive level of horribleness.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #320 on: June 09, 2010, 03:58:53 PM »

Oh, let's hope Denny's percussion or drums are somewhere in the mix!

Well, I think there's a good chance...the info on Al's website says the basic track is from '78...the only AFM sheet I've run across for the song is the one from '76, so I think it's a case of guessing on Al's part and "only" being off a couple of years.  However, the website info also says the basic track is from Capitol Studios...highly unlikely for that point in time, when the Boys were signed either to WB or CBS (depending on whether we're talking '76 or '78), so more likely they did some overdubs at Capitol in '89, if they worked on it during the "Still Cruisin'" days...and from the sound of the synths on the final product, they did (in fact, Al reportedly told a very believable source of mine as much several years ago).  Personally, I think Carl's lead vocal is from around '89 as well (timbre-wise, it is SO like his vocals on "SC" and "SIP").  Maybe Al, Carl and Bruce all added backing vocals in '78 (during the "Light Album" days), synths, Carl's verse lead, and BW's vocals were done in '89, Matt was added in '97, and finally Mike in '08.  Plus a lot of other steps along the way, from the sound of things.
Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: June 09, 2010, 11:29:42 PM »

I thought BW's were added when he was touring with Al?  Or maybe some of them were...

Honk! Honk!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #322 on: June 10, 2010, 05:18:37 AM »

I thought BW's were added when he was touring with Al?  Or maybe some of them were...

My guess is that SOME of them may have been (along with his vocals on other songs).  But my informed opinion is that the really prominent high BW parts are from '89.  Al's comments, as reported by Dave Beard awhile ago, support this as well.
Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: June 10, 2010, 10:09:14 AM »

Thanks.

Honk! Honk!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: June 10, 2010, 10:15:05 AM »

Cripes, I hope this issue of ESQ has an accompanying definitive feature detailing exactly who did what on this track, right down to who swept the studio floor once "Keep It Clean" was finally satisfied with the mix...!

“We live in divisive times.”
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx