gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 04:16:51 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al Jardine EP  (Read 54953 times)
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: May 11, 2010, 04:56:39 AM »

A few updates.

I was talking with Al about his album, and he's calling his album an attempt at a concept-style Moody Blues album. He said. "It's like several years in the life of Al Jardine." Also, don't go by Al's website. The lineup on the site is not a true reflection of the final product. Al also expressed his desire to release the album very soon. 
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: May 11, 2010, 06:07:35 AM »

"It's like several years in the life of Al Jardine."
He could name this CD "Still Waiting for a Bus".  Cheesy

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: May 11, 2010, 06:56:59 AM »

He said. "It's like several years in the life of Al Jardine."

That's epic baby.

In all seriousness, it's good to hear he wants to finish this.  We all just hope he does.

Mike's not a Hawthorne boy. The Hawthorne guys stuck together. The Wilsons and I always had a special bond. We felt like we were a team.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #278 on: May 11, 2010, 08:11:36 AM »

Al also expressed his desire to release the album very soon. 

David, I'd find that a lot more comforting had he not said the exact same thing in early 2007.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #279 on: May 11, 2010, 09:43:14 AM »

He could name this CD "Still Waiting for a Bus".  Cheesy

Hell by the time it comes out it could be named "Still Waiting for a newer teleportation device".

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: May 11, 2010, 02:47:35 PM »

A few updates.

I was talking with Al about his album, and he's calling his album an attempt at a concept-style Moody Blues album. He said. "It's like several years in the life of Al Jardine." Also, don't go by Al's website. The lineup on the site is not a true reflection of the final product. Al also expressed his desire to release the album very soon. 

Why doesn't he update the website to be accurate?  It seems like the whole point of the website is to promote the new album.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: May 11, 2010, 03:45:44 PM »

So the album recreates the sound of him turning up and down faders, re-recording and deleting takes, and adding and subtracting guest stars to a song or two?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #282 on: May 17, 2010, 07:22:17 PM »

A few updates.

And I express my desire to become a multi-millionaire and spend the rest of my life traveling.  Doesn't mean it's gonna happen though.  PUT THE DAMN THING OUT, AL!!!   Angry

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: May 17, 2010, 07:46:19 PM »

I thought it was a California themed album...now its Moody Blues.....!?!?!?!?  How does that happen? Come on Al, just put SOMETHING OUT! Head Spin Ahhh!
mtaber
« Reply #284 on: May 17, 2010, 07:58:07 PM »

Postcard from California... but Al can't bring himself to actually drop it in the mailbox...
JaredLekites
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #285 on: May 17, 2010, 09:18:36 PM »

The kind woman in charge of the waiting list told me it was tentatively scheduled to be released in late Spring 2010. This was last week. I don't know how "in the know" she is.

I really like the rough tracks on Al's website. "Don't Fight The Sea" sounds great to me there (could use a few more vocals on Al's bit but otherwise, it's as good as an unissued Beach Boys-era track gets). I hope the final product (if any) doesn't stray too much from it.

One of the tracks was "inspired" by the Moody Blues' "Tuesday Afternoon". My guess is that Al has expanded on that idea and now wants to rewrite or add a couple things and subtract a little. Perhaps he's waiting for Justin Hayward to fly in and do a vocal? Smiley

Is he going for the "Lucky Old Sun" vibe?

jaredlekites.bandcamp.com/
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #286 on: May 18, 2010, 12:37:54 AM »

The kind woman in charge of the waiting list told me it was tentatively scheduled to be released in late Spring 2010. This was last week. I don't know how "in the know" she is.

Maybe her calendar is defective, but hasn't she noticed it IS late spring 2010 ?

Paulos
« Reply #287 on: May 18, 2010, 09:57:28 AM »

I really like the rough tracks on Al's website. "Don't Fight The Sea" sounds great to me there (could use a few more vocals on Al's bit but otherwise, it's as good as an unissued Beach Boys-era track gets). I hope the final product (if any) doesn't stray too much from it.

One of the tracks was "inspired" by the Moody Blues' "Tuesday Afternoon". My guess is that Al has expanded on that idea and now wants to rewrite or add a couple things and subtract a little. Perhaps he's waiting for Justin Hayward to fly in and do a vocal? Smiley

Is he going for the "Lucky Old Sun" vibe?

Shhhh, Al might be reading this and think that yes, he does need to add more vocals delaying the release yet further.
jimmyboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: May 18, 2010, 04:45:08 PM »

I hope he loses the R & B version of "Help Me Rhonda". It was truly awful. This from a fan of Al.
JaredLekites
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #289 on: May 18, 2010, 06:25:13 PM »

I enjoyed the remake of "Help Me Rhonda", actually. I like what Steve Miller brings to the table. Not as good as the Beach Boys versions but certainly different enough to enjoy.

Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #290 on: May 18, 2010, 09:38:25 PM »

I enjoyed the remake of "Help Me Rhonda", actually. I like what Steve Miller brings to the table. Not as good as the Beach Boys versions but certainly different enough to enjoy.

I concur.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
JaredLekites
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #291 on: May 19, 2010, 01:52:47 PM »

I would also add that The Beach Boys played bluesy arrangements similar to Jardine's new version in their 70s concerts. Even the rendition of "Rhonda" from Live In Knebworth is rather different from the studio takes.

Jason
« Reply #292 on: May 19, 2010, 08:06:32 PM »

Dude....Al Jardine and Justin Hayward on the same record is a great idea. Imagine if Justin managed to do a song with Carl. Wow. The mind boggles at those two voices on the same record. Brian played at Wembley with the Moody Blues in 1986; he did Sloop John B and Help Me Rhonda with the Moodies backing him. John Lodge had a lot of great things to say when he introduced Brian. Of course, this was Landy-era Brian, so I imagine the appearance was mainly for publicity. Brian was in his reedy mid-80s voice, but he was quite sensational that night. At least to me. Thank John-Roger for bootlegs.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: May 20, 2010, 02:35:52 AM »

Dude....Al Jardine and Justin Hayward on the same record is a great idea. Imagine if Justin managed to do a song with Carl. Wow. The mind boggles at those two voices on the same record. Brian played at Wembley with the Moody Blues in 1986; he did Sloop John B and Help Me Rhonda with the Moodies backing him. John Lodge had a lot of great things to say when he introduced Brian. Of course, this was Landy-era Brian, so I imagine the appearance was mainly for publicity. Brian was in his reedy mid-80s voice, but he was quite sensational that night. At least to me. Thank John-Roger for bootlegs.
So this show is "out there"?

“We live in divisive times.”
Christian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: May 20, 2010, 09:26:46 AM »

So this show is "out there"?

Yes, the show, a charity for "Stars Organization for Spastics" (Wembley Arena, 1986, December 5th) is available on a 2 CD-R bootleg.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: May 22, 2010, 03:22:30 AM »

Many thanks ... none of my usual fellows have it but Patience Maybe rewarded.
 Cool Guy

“We live in divisive times.”
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: June 06, 2010, 06:45:07 PM »

A few updates.

Apparently, something is out.

This, from the BBB Board:  http://www.b2g5.com/boards/board.cgi?action=read&id=1275513932&user=bellagio

"I'm very fortunate to have received one of the few 4 Track Promo CD EP's that Al has produced (thanks, Big D ). It has a picture sleeve, with Al on the front, and a cutesy family of polar bears dozing on the Arctic ice on the reverse. The track info states:

DON'T FIGHT THE SEA (3:47)
with Brian, Carl, Mike, Bruce, Matt and Al

TIDEPOOL INTERLUDE (1:38)
a moment of reflection with Alec Baldwin

CAMPFIRE SCENE (0:40)
with The Hillbillies

A CALIFORNIA SAGA (2:56)
featuring Neil Young, David Crosby, Stephen Stills and The Hillbillies

Beyond this, I have no further info about Bruce's contribution to DFTS - maybe he'd like to visit us sometime and elaborate?"
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 12:25:42 AM by SurfRiderHawaii » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #297 on: June 07, 2010, 12:15:54 AM »

A few updates.

Apparently, something is out.

This, from the BBB Board:  http://www.b2g5.com/boards/board.cgi?action=read&id=1275513932&user=bellagio

I'm very fortunate to have received one of the few 4 Track Promo CD EP's that Al has produced (thanks, Big D ). It has a picture sleeve, with Al on the front, and a cutesy family of polar bears dozing on the Arctic ice on the reverse. The track info states:

DON'T FIGHT THE SEA (3:47)
with Brian, Carl, Mike, Bruce, Matt and Al

TIDEPOOL INTERLUDE (1:38)
a moment of reflection with Alec Baldwin

CAMPFIRE SCENE (0:40)
with The Hillbillies

A CALIFORNIA SAGA (2:56)
featuring Neil Young, David Crosby, Stephen Stills and The Hillbillies

Beyond this, I have no further info about Bruce's contribution to DFTS - maybe he'd like to visit us sometime and elaborate?

Bruce told me when this thing first popped up that he wasn't on it... so I'm guessing he was referring to a recent contribution, and that he's part of the earlier sessions.

ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: June 07, 2010, 08:25:28 AM »

I received a copy of Al's EP. ESQ will be running the cover art in the summer edition. I recently spoke in length with Al about "Don't Fight The Sea" and he confirmed that Bruce is on the chorus and has been since 1978-79 when Al, Carl and Bruce recorded vocals. It took 10+ years for Al to get Brian on the song, and then last year -- thanks to Scott Totten -- Mike was able to add his vocal. Two songs from Al's upcoming album, "Honkin' Down The Highway" (with Brian) and "Drivin" (with Brian, David, Dewey and Gerry) are included in ESQ's summer CD, An ESQ Offering From The Boys of Summer.
Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: June 07, 2010, 11:12:29 AM »

So this isn't the version of DFTS that many of us have heard?
Don't suppose DW is on drums or percussion?
When's the damn thing being released?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 11:49:44 AM by salman rushdie » Logged

Honk! Honk!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx