gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 11:26:14 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al Jardine EP  (Read 54962 times)
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: March 01, 2010, 04:43:20 PM »

Wasn't sure Brian was on "And I Always Will".  And "Campfire Scene" is not listed as a track on Al's site. (I'm hoping it's attached to "CS").  Seems like Brian's all over this album (well, three tracks at least).  'Drivin' is still one I can't wait to hear the full version of.

If he is on "And I Always Will," then he is on at least 4 tracks:

And I Always Will
Drivin'
Honkin' Down The Highway
Don't Fight The Sea

That's right.  That's four tracks; 1/3 or the album.  Wished Brian had used Al on TLOS.  Woulda made it a lot better!

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: March 02, 2010, 04:50:11 AM »

Please, correct if wrong

Al- old (1990s?) + new vocals (polar bear verse, etc. plus maybe backing vocals)

Jardine family & friends- backgrounds (all new)

Carl- lead section + chorus vocal (all recorded in the early 1990s)

Brian- his vocals are all recent

Bruce- not in it

Mike- recorded new vocals but were not included in the EP version

Stand to be corrected, but I think Carl's vocal is from late 70s/early 80s.

And... despite what my exceedingly reliable source tells me, my ears say Mike's on it.

It sounds like Mike to me too. The Carl vocal sounds like from the SIP era to me (compare to Remember walking in the sand or Problem Child).

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: March 02, 2010, 06:16:59 AM »

Not listed on the main page but does anyone know if Billy Hinche or Bobby Figeroa are on any of the tracks?

Mike's not a Hawthorne boy. The Hawthorne guys stuck together. The Wilsons and I always had a special bond. We felt like we were a team.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: March 02, 2010, 11:22:06 AM »

They are.

Howie - maybe you can solve this mystery.  Is Mike on this version of "DFTS"?

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: March 02, 2010, 11:28:30 AM »

They are.

Howie - maybe you can solve this mystery.  Is Mike on this version of "DFTS"?

Howie already confirmed that on page 11...

I have it on excellent (one might say ultimate authority) that Mike Love's recent vocals were NOT used on "Don't Fight The Sea."

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: March 02, 2010, 03:32:42 PM »

They are.

Howie - maybe you can solve this mystery.  Is Mike on this version of "DFTS"?

Howie already confirmed that on page 11...

I have it on excellent (one might say ultimate authority) that Mike Love's recent vocals were NOT used on "Don't Fight The Sea."

Oops, so he did.  How did I miss that.  My bad.

So the question/mystery Howie is - why isn't Mike on it?  And do you know if his vocals are to be used for another version?

I have this sneaking suspicion that there is some secret 50th Anniversary Project afoot.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 05:41:08 PM by SurfRiderHawaii » Logged

Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: March 12, 2010, 08:45:40 PM »

Just noticed that Al's website lists Bruce Johnston as being on his album as well.  Does anyone know what song he is on?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #232 on: March 12, 2010, 09:50:35 PM »

Just noticed that Al's website lists Bruce Johnston as being on his album as well.  Does anyone know what song he is on?

Not "DFTS".

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: March 13, 2010, 10:56:50 AM »

Maybe we all got bum info about DFTS.

Possibly Mike and Bruce did some vocals for another track(s).  It's definitely new On Al's site that Bruce is on the album.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: March 13, 2010, 11:40:10 AM »

Are we certain, as people now seem to think, that the BW vox on DFTS are new?

Because, if so, it's the fittest we've heard the falsetto in some time.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #235 on: March 13, 2010, 12:18:54 PM »

Are we certain, as people now seem to think, that the BW vox on DFTS are new?

Because, if so, it's the fittest we've heard the falsetto in some time.

I have it on excellent authority that at lest SOME of BW's vocals on that track date from the "Still Cruisin'" sessions in '89.  I also think that's when Carl's vocals are from.  BUT...Brian may very well have done some more singing on it in 2007 when he was in the studio with Al.

Also...Mike Love is now listed, in addition to Bruce Johnson, by Al's website as a guest on the album.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #236 on: March 13, 2010, 01:41:12 PM »

Also...Mike Love is now listed, in addition to Bruce Johnson, by Al's website as a guest on the album.

Maybe 'someone' read this thread, took another listen to the track and realised...'something'.  Roll Eyes

Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: March 13, 2010, 02:18:28 PM »

Maybe 'someone' read this thread, took another listen to the track and realised...'something'.  Roll Eyes

Andrew, do you think Bruce is on this track as well?
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #238 on: March 13, 2010, 06:03:17 PM »

Please, correct if wrong

Al- old (1990s?) + new vocals (polar bear verse, etc. plus maybe backing vocals)

Jardine family & friends- backgrounds (all new)

Carl- lead section + chorus vocal (all recorded in the early 1990s)

Brian- his vocals are all recent

Bruce- not in it

Mike- recorded new vocals but were not included in the EP version

It sounds like there are old vocals from Brian along with more recent ones. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #239 on: March 14, 2010, 03:26:45 AM »

Andrew, do you think Bruce is on this track as well?

"DFTS" ? Nope, 'cause he told me he wasn't when I asked him earlier this week.  Grin

Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: March 14, 2010, 05:48:01 AM »

"DFTS" ? Nope, 'cause he told me he wasn't when I asked him earlier this week.  Grin

Did he tell you which track he is on, and can you tell us?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #241 on: March 14, 2010, 05:59:57 AM »

Nope, 'cause his name wasn't in the credits when I asked. I will, but I try not to bug him too much about BB trivia (although it amuses him no end that we're obsessed with this kind of thing).

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: March 14, 2010, 09:06:26 PM »

Nope, 'cause his name wasn't in the credits when I asked. I will, but I try not to bug him too much about BB trivia (although it amuses him no end that we're obsessed with this kind of thing).

We are obsessed with how many tacos Brian ate when he produced Smile; so is it any wonder there is a strong interest hearing the details two Beach Boys, who seemingly hated each other/sued each other; burying the hatchet and recording together?  This album is probably the closest thing we are ever going to have to the Beach Boys recording together  again. 

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #243 on: March 15, 2010, 12:31:26 AM »

If it ever comes out...

It is quite something to see the names Brian Wilson, Carl Wilson, Mike Love, David Marks and Bruce Johnston listed as featuring on an Al Jardine album, though.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: March 15, 2010, 03:44:15 AM »

We are obsessed with how many tacos Brian ate when he produced Smile ... 

I recently met the guy who ran the taco stand in LA at the hub of the area closest to Capitol, Western Recorders, Sunset, and all those other studios, back in '66/'67.

I asked him exactly that question but he was unable to give me a precise answer, and claimed that he couldn't remember whether Brian preferred chocolate or vanilla ice cream with his Readywhip (as if!).

He's currently in my cellar, blindfolded and bound to the radiator with gaffer-tape; I've set up a cold water drip directly on to his forehead; he's been in total darkness for a while now, with only "Country Love" and "First Love" playing at full volume, echoing round the cellar walls. I think he might start to talk soon.

I just wondered whether any of you other guys on this board have any other questions I could put to him about the SMiLE era while he's there. I'm fairly confident he'll be agreeable about providing definitive answers within the next week or two.

The guy who used to deliver pizzas to Brian and Marilyn's house back in the day folded after a couple of months... and before you ask, the answer's deep pan Hawaiian!

Don't thank me, I'm just glad I can help clear up a few unanswered details from the SMiLE era.

(Waits for the Don to pile in...)

“We live in divisive times.”
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: March 15, 2010, 11:24:49 AM »

We are obsessed with how many tacos Brian ate when he produced Smile ... 

I recently met the guy who ran the taco stand in LA at the hub of the area closest to Capitol, Western Recorders, Sunset, and all those other studios, back in '66/'67.

I asked him exactly that question but he was unable to give me a precise answer, and claimed that he couldn't remember whether Brian preferred chocolate or vanilla ice cream with his Readywhip (as if!).

He's currently in my cellar, blindfolded and bound to the radiator with gaffer-tape; I've set up a cold water drip directly on to his forehead; he's been in total darkness for a while now, with only "Country Love" and "First Love" playing at full volume, echoing round the cellar walls. I think he might start to talk soon.

I just wondered whether any of you other guys on this board have any other questions I could put to him about the SMiLE era while he's there. I'm fairly confident he'll be agreeable about providing definitive answers within the next week or two.

The guy who used to deliver pizzas to Brian and Marilyn's house back in the day folded after a couple of months... and before you ask, the answer's deep pan Hawaiian!

Don't thank me, I'm just glad I can help clear up a few unanswered details from the SMiLE era.

(Waits for the Don to pile in...)

So funny - not often I get a belly laugh from this board.  Great!

Jason
« Reply #246 on: March 15, 2010, 11:50:29 AM »

Why does that scenario remind me of the Soviet film The Ascent?
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: March 15, 2010, 07:53:43 PM »

So...does Al's EP come out first or does http://beachboyscentral.com/ open?  LOL
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #248 on: March 16, 2010, 08:18:58 AM »

So...does Al's EP come out first or does http://beachboyscentral.com/ open?  LOL

It will be released as a download on BeachBoysCentral   Cheesy

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: March 16, 2010, 08:39:26 AM »

It will be released as a download on BeachBoysCentral   Cheesy

You could be a music executive man   Grin
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx