gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680841 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 26, 2024, 06:03:46 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al Jardine EP  (Read 55029 times)
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #200 on: February 28, 2010, 11:21:00 AM »

Is Bruce on this track?  Who is singing "Just Let It Be" towards the end at 2:54?
I think that's Alan personally.

I really don't think it's Alan.  Could be Bruce...maybe from 1989, when Brian and Carl did their parts.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: February 28, 2010, 11:34:03 AM »

Is Bruce on this track?  Who is singing "Just Let It Be" towards the end at 2:54?
I think that's Alan personally.

I really don't think it's Alan.  Could be Bruce...maybe from 1989, when Brian and Carl did their parts.

Seriously doubt Bruce is on this.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #202 on: February 28, 2010, 12:07:56 PM »

89?  79 or 82, isn't it?

I thought BW added new vocals.

Whatever, I like it.  Would've sat nicely on LA, but so would two or three other tracks from that time...
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: February 28, 2010, 12:11:55 PM »

I have it on excellent (one might say ultimate authority) that Mike Love's recent vocals were NOT used on "Don't Fight The Sea."
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: February 28, 2010, 12:24:19 PM »

Wait a minute... Who wrote 'Don't Fight the Sea'?

Well, duh, Terry Jacks ?  Thought this was common knowledge since about 1980.

BMI.com lists Al Jardine & Terry Jacks, which is why I asked.

Not done an A/B, but I think Alan changed a few words.

...And he added a whole verse! Not for the best in my opinion. His "polar bear" lyrics just don't fit with the rest of the song.

I thought BW added new vocals.

I think he did. I remember reading that Brian had recently added his vocals to "Don't Fight The Sea". Besides, I'm hearing "today's Brian" on the record, not "1989's Brian".

I have it on excellent (one might say ultimate authority) that Mike Love's recent vocals were NOT used on "Don't Fight The Sea."

Then, who does the bass parts?

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #205 on: February 28, 2010, 12:49:40 PM »

Rich Little ?

Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 28, 2010, 12:57:31 PM »

I don't know who it is. Could barely get through the track once upon receiving it. Maybe it's "Rich Little Al Jardine"?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #207 on: February 28, 2010, 01:02:05 PM »

Rich Little ?

No, I think he's back at preaching....       Cheesy

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: February 28, 2010, 01:05:05 PM »

Could barely get through the track once upon receiving it.
Ha! Does that mean you don't like it, Howie?

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 28, 2010, 01:44:10 PM »

It's more of an indifference than a dislike. It's like new Ringo album tracks, meaning the artists that move you the most making music that moves you none.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: February 28, 2010, 08:31:11 PM »

It's more of an indifference than a dislike. It's like new Ringo album tracks, meaning the artists that move you the most making music that moves you none.

Howie - thought you and Al were buddies?  Your previous articles and info on Al gave the stuff glowing reviews?  Why the about face?

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: February 28, 2010, 09:02:54 PM »

Hey Surfrider! Not an about face, it's just not too easy on my ears. Very '80s and not that indicative of the rest of the album. He's got some beautiful, major stuff coming like "San Simeon" and "And I Always Will" (with Brian) which is just great "Jardine" and much more organic sounding. My hangup is more with the production than anything else. The song's fine. All I need is Al and a guitar and I'm happy. I dig the "California Saga" remake (I really loved the '90s one) I like Al sounding rural -- voice, wood and string -- not midi DX7 Beach Boys. That said, I didn't mean to come off too harsh about it.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 09:04:13 PM by Howie Edelson » Logged
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: February 28, 2010, 10:29:59 PM »

All I need is Al and a guitar and I'm happy.
If only we could get that Jardine folk album.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: March 01, 2010, 05:19:10 AM »

All I need is Al and a guitar and I'm happy.
If only we could get that Jardine folk album.

Or any Jardine album.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: March 01, 2010, 08:39:42 AM »

Please, correct if wrong

Al- old (1990s?) + new vocals (polar bear verse, etc. plus maybe backing vocals)

Jardine family & friends- backgrounds (all new)

Carl- lead section + chorus vocal (all recorded in the early 1990s)

Brian- his vocals are all recent

Bruce- not in it

Mike- recorded new vocals but were not included in the EP version

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: March 01, 2010, 09:15:16 AM »

Of course this is the guy who needed thirty-odd years to make sure the sound of "Loop de Loop" was just so...

And if Brian only took the same attention to detail we would have a palatable Smile album!  Too bad.  Cool Guy

Mike's not a Hawthorne boy. The Hawthorne guys stuck together. The Wilsons and I always had a special bond. We felt like we were a team.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: March 01, 2010, 09:16:06 AM »

Of course this is the guy who needed thirty-odd years to make sure the sound of "Loop de Loop" was just so...

And if Brian only took the same attention to detail we would have a palatable Smile album!  Too bad.  Cool Guy
You think Loop de Loop is better than BWPS? To each his own.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: March 01, 2010, 09:16:49 AM »

Is Al's 90's version of Cal Saga available online somewhere?

Mike's not a Hawthorne boy. The Hawthorne guys stuck together. The Wilsons and I always had a special bond. We felt like we were a team.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #218 on: March 01, 2010, 11:31:25 AM »

Please, correct if wrong

Al- old (1990s?) + new vocals (polar bear verse, etc. plus maybe backing vocals)

Jardine family & friends- backgrounds (all new)

Carl- lead section + chorus vocal (all recorded in the early 1990s)

Brian- his vocals are all recent

Bruce- not in it

Mike- recorded new vocals but were not included in the EP version

Stand to be corrected, but I think Carl's vocal is from late 70s/early 80s.

And... despite what my exceedingly reliable source tells me, my ears say Mike's on it.

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: March 01, 2010, 11:50:50 AM »

Hey Surfrider! Not an about face, it's just not too easy on my ears. Very '80s and not that indicative of the rest of the album. He's got some beautiful, major stuff coming like "San Simeon" and "And I Always Will" (with Brian) which is just great "Jardine" and much more organic sounding. My hangup is more with the production than anything else. The song's fine. All I need is Al and a guitar and I'm happy. I dig the "California Saga" remake (I really loved the '90s one) I like Al sounding rural -- voice, wood and string -- not midi DX7 Beach Boys. That said, I didn't mean to come off too harsh about it.

Thanks Howie - gotcha!  Are "San Simeon" and "And I Always Will" (with Brian) 'Postcard from CA' tracks?

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: March 01, 2010, 01:52:56 PM »

They are.
send me a picture and i'll tell you
Smiley Smile Associate

spilling my phector

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: March 01, 2010, 02:02:11 PM »

Pretty positive that's Brian.

that's it, who here wants to touch d***s? all in a row, just run your hand across several of them and hit them like you're bret hart tagging your fans as you approach the ring wearing teh pink sunglasses in 1993     ----runnersdialzero

We have a little extra meat onstage. The audience can feel it.   --Al Jardine

pLeAsUrE iSlAnD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: March 01, 2010, 02:32:26 PM »

Thanks Howie - gotcha!  Are "San Simeon" and "And I Always Will" (with Brian) 'Postcard from CA' tracks?

Track listing here:

http://www.aljardine.com/

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: March 01, 2010, 03:08:59 PM »

Track listing here:

http://www.aljardine.com/

Wasn't sure Brian was on "And I Always Will".  And "Campfire Scene" is not listed as a track on Al's site. (I'm hoping it's attached to "CS").  Seems like Brian's all over this album (well, three tracks at least).  'Drivin' is still one I can't wait to hear the full version of.

Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: March 01, 2010, 04:05:10 PM »

Wasn't sure Brian was on "And I Always Will".  And "Campfire Scene" is not listed as a track on Al's site. (I'm hoping it's attached to "CS").  Seems like Brian's all over this album (well, three tracks at least).  'Drivin' is still one I can't wait to hear the full version of.

If he is on "And I Always Will," then he is on at least 4 tracks:

And I Always Will
Drivin'
Honkin' Down The Highway
Don't Fight The Sea
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx