gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:32:04 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al Jardine EP  (Read 54655 times)
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 26, 2010, 04:26:43 PM »

Mmh, for me, it sounds very similar to his voice.

Agree - I thought it was him too, but I'm very reliably informed it isn't.

And yet another mystery from the Beach Boys.  What and where is Mike's vocal; why wasn't it used.....
These guys really have a knack for creating story and intrigue.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 26, 2010, 04:28:57 PM »

And yet another mystery from the Beach Boys.  What and where is Mike's vocal; why wasn't it used.....
These guys really have a knack for creating story and intrigue.

Fun, innit? police
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 26, 2010, 04:43:40 PM »

Personally, I don't entirely buy that. If you know what you're doing, you can record a nice sounding performance pretty much anywhere. The legendary Robert Johnson tapes were made with him singing into a wall of a hotel room; obviously not the same idea at all, but doesn't mean a hotel room is going to ruin the sound.

Lindsey Buckingham recorded a lot of his "Under The Skin" album in hotel rooms while on tour, and the sound is good.
An extremely large percentage of modern pop music--especially of the "indie" (horrible and inaccurate term) variety--is recorded on laptops or home setups. The "in a hotel" part would be what is more likely to have made it inferior quality.

Agree Luther!  Technology allows some pristine music going into a laptop.  I'm sure Scott has at his disposal a tubed mic, tubed compressor, Digital interface, 32/64 bit 96 htz program (Reaper?)  and bam, beautiful clean sound.

What Luther is alluding too is A/C noise/ thin walls/echo/acoustics.  It's one thing to record an instrument DI (direct) into the audio interface but vocals in a hotel room could be tricky.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: February 26, 2010, 05:53:04 PM »

Personally, I don't entirely buy that. If you know what you're doing, you can record a nice sounding performance pretty much anywhere. The legendary Robert Johnson tapes were made with him singing into a wall of a hotel room; obviously not the same idea at all, but doesn't mean a hotel room is going to ruin the sound.

Lindsey Buckingham recorded a lot of his "Under The Skin" album in hotel rooms while on tour, and the sound is good.
An extremely large percentage of modern pop music--especially of the "indie" (horrible and inaccurate term) variety--is recorded on laptops or home setups. The "in a hotel" part would be what is more likely to have made it inferior quality.

Agree Luther!  Technology allows some pristine music going into a laptop.  I'm sure Scott has at his disposal a tubed mic, tubed compressor, Digital interface, 32/64 bit 96 htz program (Reaper?)  and bam, beautiful clean sound.

What Luther is alluding too is A/C noise/ thin walls/echo/acoustics.  It's one thing to record an instrument DI (direct) into the audio interface but vocals in a hotel room could be tricky.

But defintely doable, in this case...Mike's voice has traditionally been recorded very close-mic'd, and therefore as long as the signal was clean, it would probably be usable.  AND...I really have a hard time believing it's not Mike on "DFTS".  The bass vocals in the last two choruses, and the "She said" part sound EXACTLY like him, not just tonally, but attitude-wise.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 26, 2010, 07:12:31 PM »

Agree Luther!  Technology allows some pristine music going into a laptop.  I'm sure Scott has at his disposal a tubed mic, tubed compressor, Digital interface, 32/64 bit 96 htz program (Reaper?)  and bam, beautiful clean sound.

What Luther is alluding too is A/C noise/ thin walls/echo/acoustics.  It's one thing to record an instrument DI (direct) into the audio interface but vocals in a hotel room could be tricky.

But defintely doable, in this case...Mike's voice has traditionally been recorded very close-mic'd, and therefore as long as the signal was clean, it would probably be usable.  AND...I really have a hard time believing it's not Mike on "DFTS".  The bass vocals in the last two choruses, and the "She said" part sound EXACTLY like him, not just tonally, but attitude-wise.

Yes, and why go to all the trouble of recording Mike and not use it.  Unless there is another version that's going to be used on another project.  Like a 50th Aniv. release.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: February 26, 2010, 09:43:44 PM »

I also thought "she said" was him at first listen... but listening again, it's not.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: February 27, 2010, 01:20:24 AM »

I don't know about the "she said" part, but the low "don't fight, don't fight the sea, y'don't" parts from 2:05 to 2:15 and 2:20 to 2:30 sound EXACTLY like Mike.

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 27, 2010, 04:22:04 AM »

AGD, correct me if I'm wrong as I really don't know, but weren't Brian's demo vocals (and, so, that means some of the ones that made the final product) for TLOS recorded onto Scott's computer? Or was it a real studio setup?

And, while I'm at it, am I wrong in this chronology of the TLOS project:
Summer 2006-Brian and Scott write and record the basic tracks (keyboards, percussion etc.) and vocals for their new songs in a demo setting at Scott's studio
Summer 2007-Scott and Darian sequence the piece in L.A. while Brian and company tour Europe, Scott records a few new things like the vocal for "Southern California" that made the rounds
Spring 2008-Brian and band record the backing tracks and some new lead and all backing vocals for the final release.

Or were Brian's demo vocals from Summer 2007?

Just always wanted to know...
Please don't let me wonder...

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: February 27, 2010, 11:15:03 AM »

AGD, correct me if I'm wrong as I really don't know, but weren't Brian's demo vocals (and, so, that means some of the ones that made the final product) for TLOS recorded onto Scott's computer? Or was it a real studio setup?

And, while I'm at it, am I wrong in this chronology of the TLOS project:
Summer 2006-Brian and Scott write and record the basic tracks (keyboards, percussion etc.) and vocals for their new songs in a demo setting at Scott's studio
Summer 2007-Scott and Darian sequence the piece in L.A. while Brian and company tour Europe, Scott records a few new things like the vocal for "Southern California" that made the rounds
Spring 2008-Brian and band record the backing tracks and some new lead and all backing vocals for the final release.

Or were Brian's demo vocals from Summer 2007?

Just always wanted to know...

Scotty's home (=bedroom) studio can be seen on the TLOS DVD - looks like he's got a good semi-pro setup there.

Brian's demo vocals are from summer 2006.

adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 27, 2010, 10:25:12 PM »

If you have the right mic and pre-amp, you can do studio quality vocals just about anywhere.  You just have to be have basic knowledge of where and how to sing into the mic, and be careful of levels and pops.
Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 28, 2010, 02:21:10 AM »

Mike's not on it?!  Oh no!  I hate it in that case!   Roll Eyes

Honk! Honk!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: February 28, 2010, 03:29:56 AM »

This is confusing...

Just listened again... and if you stood me up in the witness box and asked me under oath if Mike was on "DFTS", then I'd have to say "yes".

For comparison, btw, the original TJ version:

http://www.filestube.com/3e7bc6972a0e8a1f03ea/details.html

Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 28, 2010, 05:11:11 AM »

If Jacks' released "Y' Don't Fight The Sea," in 1976, how much of this song is him vs. Al? 
Nicko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 28, 2010, 06:05:01 AM »

This is confusing...

Just listened again... and if you stood me up in the witness box and asked me under oath if Mike was on "DFTS", then I'd have to say "yes".

For comparison, btw, the original TJ version:

http://www.filestube.com/3e7bc6972a0e8a1f03ea/details.html

Credit to Al, I would say that the new version urinates all over the original.

In some ways, I don't think it matters that much whether it is Mike on the new recording. More important to me is that Al wanted him to be there and Mike was willing to contribute. Scott Totten said that he wasn't really happy with the quality of the recording of Mike's vocals so if it wasn't up to scratch then that's no surprise.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 28, 2010, 06:44:18 AM »

Wait a minute... Who wrote 'Don't Fight the Sea'?

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: February 28, 2010, 07:14:25 AM »

Well, duh, Terry Jacks ?  Thought this was common knowledge since about 1980.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: February 28, 2010, 07:18:41 AM »

If Jacks' released "Y' Don't Fight The Sea," in 1976, how much of this song is him vs. Al? 

All of it - he wrote it.

Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 28, 2010, 07:19:56 AM »

BMI.com lists Al Jardine & Terry Jacks, which is why I asked.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 28, 2010, 07:22:21 AM »

Add a double duh for me... I had never heard it in my life - in the times of old, some tracks got airplay in some countries and none in others - and I just figured it was an Al Jardine original. Oh my.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: February 28, 2010, 07:22:26 AM »

BMI.com lists Al Jardine & Terry Jacks, which is why I asked.

Not done an A/B, but I think Alan changed a few words.

Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: February 28, 2010, 07:28:00 AM »

Andrew, on the unreleased page of Bellagio it says "Don't Fight The Sea (a collaboration with Terry Jacks dating from late 1980)."  Did Al changed the lyrics back then?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: February 28, 2010, 07:47:53 AM »

Andrew, on the unreleased page of Bellagio it says "Don't Fight The Sea (a collaboration with Terry Jacks dating from late 1980)."  Did Al changed the lyrics back then?

Yes - the title was mentioned back then when Alan was talking about a solo album. My use of the word 'collaboration' there is a trifle misleading.  Smiley

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #197 on: February 28, 2010, 08:20:50 AM »

This production really spans the decades...Al's website says the basic track is from '78, but there's an AFM contract for a session in April '76.  Next we heard of it being worked on was late 1980.  The production style (and Carl's and Brian's vocals) on the final version really sound like "Still Crusin'" era BBs (and the fact that Al's website says it was recorded at Capitol's Studio A would fit with that era).  I think it was also mentioned in conjunction with the album he was planning with his sons ('98/'99).  If Mike IS on it, his parts were done in 2008, and if the final mix was done sometime in the last two months, that would mean five decades.  Could this be some kind of record (for a record)?
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: February 28, 2010, 10:02:13 AM »

Is Bruce on this track?  Who is singing "Just Let It Be" towards the end at 2:54?
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 28, 2010, 10:40:40 AM »

Is Bruce on this track?  Who is singing "Just Let It Be" towards the end at 2:54?
I think that's Alan personally.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx