gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 09:48:46 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al Jardine EP  (Read 55037 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 25, 2010, 06:56:20 AM »

next 4 tracks are available when you send in 4 proofs of purchase on a Al's new toothpaste and/or velcro shoes

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 25, 2010, 07:01:56 AM »

I heard it this morning, and I LOVE it. I'm aware of it's history, but to me DFTS is The Beach Boys. They've still got it...and I want more! I hope it gets on the radio.
Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 25, 2010, 07:23:03 AM »

I'd love it if they would release Don't Fight The Sea as a Beach Boys Single.

Are you ready for some Fun Fun Fun?!
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: February 25, 2010, 07:35:08 AM »

These tracks dropped from the sky into my computer.
sorted! Grin

grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 25, 2010, 07:48:08 AM »

LOVE it. Way WAy WAy better than I ever imagined.

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 25, 2010, 08:16:00 AM »

I'd love it if they would release Don't Fight The Sea as a Beach Boys Single.

I like that idea.

I still think the remaining BBs could put together a good album between them, and the way forward might be for a bunch of (what would really be) solo tracks with other members doing guest backing vox on them. I hadn't expected such strong stuff from Al and I take my hat off to him.

“We live in divisive times.”
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 25, 2010, 08:21:02 AM »

I think most of us agree that it would be possible for a totally competent, enjoyable album to come from the members of the former band if they all were interested in doing so. (I'd strongly suggest that there are few to no classic tunes yet to be done, but who knows?) The issue, though, remains that they apparently don't want to. For better or worse, being in bands isn't the same as fantasy football. Fans don't draft players and rack up points. So it's all wishful thinking.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 25, 2010, 08:21:37 AM »

It's great- I won't even feel embarrased to listen to it in front of friends! When was the last time you could say that about a new BB-related release!? haha Smiley
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 25, 2010, 08:24:17 AM »

I think most of us agree that it would be possible for a totally competent, enjoyable album to come from the members of the former band if they all were interested in doing so. (I'd strongly suggest that there are few to no classic tunes yet to be done, but who knows?) The issue, though, remains that they apparently don't want to. For better or worse, being in bands isn't the same as fantasy football. Fans don't draft players and rack up points. So it's all wishful thinking.

I hear and agree wholeheartedly with what you're saying -  that's way I reckon the solo tracks/guest vox avenue might be a route to go down. Al's just proven it can be done, even with BBs who are no longer with us...

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 25, 2010, 08:26:04 AM »

But the very reason it got done (one could argue) was that it was an Al Jardine project, not a Beach Boys one. Nobody had to vie for control or influence or recognition for that reason. Make it a Beach Boys project and there are complications straight away. (There is also the issue of how many Carl Wilson vocals on usable songs remain...)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 25, 2010, 08:47:39 AM »

But the very reason it got done (one could argue) was that it was an Al Jardine project, not a Beach Boys one. Nobody had to vie for control or influence or recognition for that reason. Make it a Beach Boys project and there are complications straight away. (There is also the issue of how many Carl Wilson vocals on usable songs remain...)

Agree again -  I have an unfortunate idealistic streak of optimism in these matters that rarely equates with realism!

Take the Songs From Here and Back release that Hallmark put out a couple of years ago: that also brought together estranged Beach Boys in the form of solo songs on a BBs album. Brian had a duet with the late Carl on his 2004 effort GIOMH. Now we have estranged and deceased BBs singing together (probably not in person, unfortunately -  or perhaps fortunately) on a solo track. It's not such a great leap any more, I reckons.  And bear in mind that Al's fairly laid-back, fuller material here sounds more like the Beach Boys than the Beach Boys did on Summer in Paradise.

Incidentally, I'm listening to Campfire Scene again and have to say the vocals far outclass the Brian Wilson Band's. Far more BBs-like. Which some might say isn't the point of a solo effort, but for me it is something I like to hear in the music I listen to. One of the major reasons I listen to the Beach Boys is that they sound like the Beach Boys.

Does anyone have access to a full list of credits?

I'm more and more impressed by this little collection, with every airing.

And more optimistic as a result.

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 25, 2010, 08:59:53 AM »

It's great- I won't even feel embarrased to listen to it in front of friends! When was the last time you could say that about a new BB-related release!? haha Smiley

Superb remark. In their later years, I listened to new BBs stuff with headphones, with my student rooms fimly locked, and clad in a bhurqa.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 25, 2010, 09:03:19 AM »

In their later years, I listened to new BBs stuff ... clad in a bhurqa.
So did dressing like Mike Love help?

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 25, 2010, 09:05:18 AM »

Songs From Here and Back ... brought together estranged Beach Boys in the form of solo songs on a BBs album. Brian had a duet with the late Carl on his 2004 effort GIOMH. Now we have estranged and deceased BBs singing together on a solo track....

Rereading this, I wonder if it actually just sounds tacky, and disparate?

You views please, ladies and gentlemen?

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 25, 2010, 09:08:13 AM »

I think the revisitation of deceased people's work is touchy. No blanket objections, but it's easy to ruin on both aesthetic and moral grounds.

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 25, 2010, 09:17:39 AM »

Um, it did. During 'Kokomo', I actually levitated a couple of times.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 25, 2010, 09:24:02 AM »

Um, it did. During 'Kokomo', I actually levitated a couple of times.
Aw big fuckin deal: I can just make the few-hour drive down to MIU and do that. (If you've never seen various TV clips of that place, you're missing out ... youtube must have them. They sit cross legged and hop on (or rather off of) their asses. They claim eventually they can levitate, but mostly it's just buttjumping from what I can tell. HOLY buttjumping.)

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 25, 2010, 12:14:36 PM »

The issue, though, remains that they apparently don't want to. For better or worse, being in bands isn't the same as fantasy football. Fans don't draft players and rack up points. So it's all wishful thinking.

I could not disagree more. If a new Beach Boys' album was discussed, voted on, or actually negotiated by a record company (Capitol Records?), I could see the surviving Beach Boys - Mike, Bruce, David, and, yes, Al, hopping on that train - in a hurry. The only question mark would be Brian, and, I think if Melinda took an extended vacation, Brian would find a way to join them also. How could the guys listen to "Don't Fight The Sea" and not be excited about the possibilities?

One of the major arguments about a reunion album (and concert) was the quality of their vocals. With all due respect to Carl, who sounded great in "Don't Fight The Sea", if you took him out of that mix, how do you think they ALL still sounded? You don't think Bruce would ruin that mix do you? Maybe we could put THAT argument to bed, too.
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 25, 2010, 12:22:42 PM »

(...) material here sounds more like the Beach Boys than the Beach Boys did on Summer in Paradise.

Incidentally, I'm listening to Campfire Scene again and have to say the vocals far outclass the Brian Wilson Band's. Far more BBs-like. Which some might say isn't the point of a solo effort, but for me it is something I like to hear in the music I listen to. One of the major reasons I listen to the Beach Boys is that they sound like the Beach Boys.

I agree that the backgrounds are WAYYYYY better than the boy-band sound of BW's band and, and along with Mike's Cool Head prove that these guys are doing more justice to the BB legacy than BW has bothered trying. Does that sentence make sense...?

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 25, 2010, 12:24:30 PM »

(...) material here sounds more like the Beach Boys than the Beach Boys did on Summer in Paradise.

I agree that the backgrounds are WAYYYYY better than the boy-band sound of BW's band and, and along with Mike's Cool Head prove that these guys are doing more justice to the BB legacy than BW has bothered trying. Does that sentence make sense...?

A lot.
Jason
« Reply #120 on: February 25, 2010, 01:42:46 PM »

Jesus friggin' Christ...we've only been making this point for eons!

Way to take the Good Sheriff's and my idea as your own, though. Royalties, please. Smiley
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 01:44:25 PM by Richard Head » Logged
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 25, 2010, 02:13:40 PM »

Personally, I think BW's band's BVs are out-of-this-world. I love them, they are great.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 25, 2010, 02:14:21 PM »

RE: Al's CD
jardine@jps.net
Wed 2/24/2010 10:36 AM

Not yet, but glad everyone is enjoying them!

Sent: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 8:20 AM
To: jardine@jps.net
Subject: Al's CD!

Lots of excitement over the full tracks people have heard – any official release date yet?

Mike's not a Hawthorne boy. The Hawthorne guys stuck together. The Wilsons and I always had a special bond. We felt like we were a team.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 25, 2010, 02:18:52 PM »

Personally, I have said many times that I think BW and his band can be really groovy, I just think that the Beach Boys reunited (Brian, Al, Mike, Bruce and David) would be a really boring prospect. If the past events (Brian and Al's aborted tour in 2007) were anything to go by, the insider story would be ten times more interesting.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 02:21:27 PM by TdHabib » Logged

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
SG7
« Reply #124 on: February 25, 2010, 02:29:21 PM »

Personally, I think BW's band's BVs are out-of-this-world. I love them, they are great.

I'm not quite understanding the hatred for these guys. If I thought they were "boyband" sounding or not up to the standards of the orginals, I would never have seen them hmm how many times... 13 times since 2004! I know some folks don't like them because they sound too much like the record unlike some of the other bands. I however enjoy that. It's AMAZING to see this stuff duplicated live. I never realized the amount of people it takes to play this stuff till I saw them live. Call me bias or whatever, but judging them on the basis of The Beach Boys themselves is just ridiculous. They are  two separate things and diss them all you want, but they are a good chunk of the reason Brian Wilson is back. Just saying.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx