gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 10:46:55 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Living Room Number Ones  (Read 2000 times)
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 28, 2010, 11:33:23 PM »

I seem to remember reading a quote like that from Bruce Johnston in David Leaf's book, referring to Brian's songs during the "lost years" (1973-1975, i surmise). Does anybody know what songs he was referring to that ended up being used later by Brian? My guess is quite a few of the mid to late 70's compositions of Brian's come from this era. Honestly its even possibly he used them even further into the future.

Anyways, my guesses are "Good Timin'", "California Feelin'", "It's OK", "Ding Dang" and "Child Of Winter"

It sucks I lost that book, but anyways, I wonder if this was just an overstatement by Bruce, or if Brian really did play some never heard again classics and never shared them with us. Cuz honestly, out of that group, I'd only call "Good Timin'" classic, although "CF" could be classic with the right performance (possibly the '74 Brian version?).

I was going to include this the other Brian "lost years" thread but I didn't want this question to get overlooked. Sorry if I'm getting on people's nerves with these threads.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 12:46:44 AM »

I think he meant these songs never made it outside of Brian's living room, never recorded, never heard outside of his living room. There may be some exceptions, but still, I think that is what Bruce meant.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 06:18:22 AM »

Hmm, thats possible, but I thought I remember the quote from being before Brian was "back" and therefore they thought nothing would come of the songs. I might be wrong though.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 10:05:58 AM »

Even if they were never recorded, I'm betting that a lot of Brian's musical ideas from that time have probably made it into many of his songs.  Heck, AGD said that the "maumamayama glory hallelujah" from TLOS originated in the 70's.  I'm sure there were some that were never played or used again, but Brian isn't the type to write something good and never use it at all.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 10:54:32 AM »

Even if they were never recorded, I'm betting that a lot of Brian's musical ideas from that time have probably made it into many of his songs.  Heck, AGD said that the "maumamayama glory hallelujah" from TLOS originated in the 70's.

True, but there was a recording of said 70's song - "Clangin'". Makes it a lot easier to bring elements back when they're put down on tape.

I'm sure there were some that were never played or used again, but Brian isn't the type to write something good and never use it at all.

Given his extremely spotty productivity in the 70s to the extent of seemingly barely caring at several ponts, I wouldn't put it past him. AGD mentioned being told "Just an Imitation" was really, really good but was never recorded. Sad :\

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Jason
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 02:30:16 PM »

The "living room number ones" are exactly that - songs Brian played for anyone willing to listen. The reaction was good enough for him. Bruce and Hal Blaine both commented about it in interviews.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 11:54:46 PM »

I think the songs from the Surf's Up album to Holland are examples of what most of those living room number #1's would have sounded like. Take, for example, "Funky Pretty". Most of that song was written a year or two before Holland and had Brian not gotten on the plane to Holland (and he almost didn't), it probably would have been lost forever, another living room number #1. Somebody who only heard Brian play it on his piano would've probably described it as a white soul song that would've been better than 95% of what the BBs released in the early 70s. Myths over unreleased songs seem to build like that. I would guess most of the living room number #1's were songs like "Funky Pretty", quirky but accomplished numbers that us fans would have loved but also unlikely to be hits.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 01:01:28 AM »

I wonder how Funky Pretty would've sounded if sung by Brian....?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2010, 07:30:45 PM »

I think the songs from the Surf's Up album to Holland are examples of what most of those living room number #1's would have sounded like. Take, for example, "Funky Pretty". Most of that song was written a year or two before Holland and had Brian not gotten on the plane to Holland (and he almost didn't), it probably would have been lost forever, another living room number #1. Somebody who only heard Brian play it on his piano would've probably described it as a white soul song that would've been better than 95% of what the BBs released in the early 70s. Myths over unreleased songs seem to build like that. I would guess most of the living room number #1's were songs like "Funky Pretty", quirky but accomplished numbers that us fans would have loved but also unlikely to be hits.

Dada, where'd you find out "Funky Pretty" was written a year or 2 before Holland? I believe you, just never heard that before.

Honestly, I wonder if these songs were actually arranged and everything, or if they were just little "feels" or ideas he was coming up with. I figure the more "fleshed out" stuff probably ended up being "Funky Pretty", "California Feelin," "Good Timin'" and so on. I wouldn't doubt some of the 2nd half of Love You wasn't stuff from this period. Like when Landy was getting him to write songs, he picked up things like "Back Home", "Sherry She Needs Me" and that kind of stuff, so I'm sure he picked some stuff from the '73 to '75 period too.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2010, 10:00:12 PM »

I don't remember, but I remember reading that it was written in 1971 somewhere in print. It might have been the Catch a Wave book? I'm not sure...
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx