gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:59:10 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Shut Down, Volume II
5 - 9 (9.7%)
4 - 45 (48.4%)
3 - 30 (32.3%)
2 - 9 (9.7%)
1 - 0 (0%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 83

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Shut Down, Volume II  (Read 40661 times)
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« on: December 26, 2005, 04:00:43 PM »

Discuss, review and rate Shut Down, Volume II, released March 1964.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2005, 02:16:06 PM by Charles LePage » Logged

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 04:03:06 PM »

Really, really good. Classic songs. What else do you want to know? I still think it's Brian not quite to his prime, but he's not far from it.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2005, 04:03:51 PM »

You can't beat In The Parkin' Lot.

3 and a half.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Jason
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2005, 04:06:52 PM »

Fun, but the filler is almost unbearable. But how can you overly fault an album with Fun Fun Fun, Don't Worry Baby, and The Warmth Of The Sun (on the first side no less!)?
Matinee Idyll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2005, 04:36:45 AM »

Their most infuriating early album, suffering the same problems as "Sufer Girl", Brian was right to want to redo the album all over.

Another backward step after LDC.

3 1/2 stars.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2005, 02:39:39 AM by Matinee Idyll » Logged
SurferGirl7
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2005, 12:50:16 PM »

The only thing I don't like it is Brian's hair on the cover. It looks terrible on him. The fact Carl is outdoing him in cutiness that soon is kind of humorous. I do like most of the album. I really like Pom Pom Play Girl. Shut Down Part II is filler alert. So is Denny's Drums, Louie Louie, Cassius Love vs. Sonny Wilson and especially in the Parking Lot. Besides those songs, it's listenable.

3 stars.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2005, 01:30:06 PM »

Don't Worry Baby and WOTS.  On one studio album of original material.  Really hard to beat that.

Not too many years ago, I found a copy of "volume one", the compilation of car songs and such issued by Capital.  I wondered why the band didn't give it another name?

Warmth of the Sun would have been a nice title cut, don't you think?
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2006, 07:43:53 AM »

Good album. I love that bass and piano to "This Car Mine", Dennis providing another great vocal. WDFFIL I think is better than the original. "Pom Pom Play Girl" reminds me of something Jan & Dean would produce, is that Carl on lead? I love the melody that Mike does after the verses. KAEOS, nice ballad. Shut Down Pt. II, could have used more sax, but it's a decent instrumental. Louie Louie, definate filler, but I dunno it's kind of catchy to me. I like Brian's arrangement of it, they sing it too seriously though. Denny's Drums, I like it but filler obviously. And how can you beat Fun Fun Fun??

I give it a 3.

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2006, 12:26:06 PM »

How can you beat In The Parkin' Lot?

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2006, 01:15:31 PM »

Shut Down II is one of my very favorites. It’s filled to the brim with goodness. Well known classics like Fun Fun Fun, Don’t Worry Baby and Warmth of the Sun, and secret gems like “This Car of Mine” and “Pom Pom Playgirl”. Things are getting serious, production wise, but everything is still sort of innocent and fun. I love this record and listen to it all the time. Top 5.
DUMB ANGEL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2006, 02:31:52 PM »

This was a great album. Just listen to the first eight bars of In The Parking Lot. Trademark Beach Boy Harmonies Personafied.
MBE
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2006, 06:37:31 AM »

This has always been a fave but it is really overlooked. All Summer Long had the edge but this is as good as Summer Days or Surfin USA. Way better then Party, Xmas or Little Deuce Coupe. The first really ful Brian productions are on here.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2006, 10:49:46 PM »

This and 'Deuce Coupe' are a step down from 'Surfer Girl'. Probably due to Capitol pressures and the build up before Murray was fired.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2008, 10:59:59 PM »

Starts off really strong, but then falls flat on it's face. Dennis' Drums is probably my least favorite track--of all time, by any band. Louie Louie...yeah. I can just barely get into it, but come on.
Most of the other songs are cool, though. Warmth of the Sun is probably my favorite early Beach Boys track. Something really weird about it.
Ana-Lu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2008, 09:45:57 PM »

Why didn't they fix the egregious guitar flub during the fade of "Keep an Eye on Summer?"
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2008, 11:51:02 AM »

4 out of 5. Some great singles mixed with some hidden gems make this a great album despite some clunkers.

My best to worst list:
Don't Worry Baby
Fun, Fun, Fun
The Warmth of the Sun
Keep an Eye on Summer
Why Do Fools Fall in Love
In the Parkin' Lot
Pom Pom Play Girl
This Car of Mine
Shut Down Pt. 2
Louie Louie
Denny's Drums
'Cassius' Love Vs. 'Sonny' Wilson
Ana-Lu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2008, 10:33:36 AM »

Too bad the 10" album was phased out by the time of the Beach Boys.  Nearly all their 12" LPs would have made GREAT ten inchers.  This is one of them for sure.
Poprocks
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2008, 11:40:13 PM »

Ugh, more car so--- wait! Not bad, not bad!  3 stars.

Track picks:  Don't Worry Baby (+++), Fun Fun Fun (+++), The Warmth of the Sun (+++)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 10:22:27 AM by Poprocks » Logged
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2008, 12:18:23 PM »

To me, this is the Beach Boys For Sale album, filled with an older tune (I'll follow the Sun/Keep an Eye on Summer- both great tunes). A great remake: Why do Fools Fall in Love/Rock and Roll Music and a not so great remake: Louie Louie/Mr. Moonlight. The beach boys are for more superior in original tunes, though the Beatles had a #1 on theirs (8 days a week) Fun Fun Fun, WOTS, DWB are far better than the likes of Don't wanna spoil the Party, Baby's in Black, I'm a loser, IMO

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2008, 09:28:36 PM »

Beatles vs. Beach Boys? Wha--? HUH?

I think overall, Beatles for Sale is a stronger album, I have always thought that album was underrated!! 
For me, SHUT DOWN would be fine if it just had one more SONG at the end, say, Back Home or something.  A twelve song solo, admittedly with a couple of clunkers but listenable and with some classics. Luckily with modern technology, I can make exactly that. Denny's Drums still sucks, but at least it's short.
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2008, 10:04:18 PM »

If we want to be mathematical about this, the big three songs would rate a 5, the three fillers would get a 3 (afterall they don't completely suck; I've heard much worse) and everything in between would get a 4.  That gives this album an overall 4, which I think is pretty fair.  I can get thru it without the urge to skip tracks.
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2009, 06:48:54 PM »

A 4.4 from me. Love v. Wilson, SD Pt 2, and Denny's Drums aren't enough for me to keep an album with Don't Worry Baby, Warmth of the Sun, Fun, Fun, Fun, Keep and Eye on Summer, and WDFFIL on it from being great, but it does hurt the consistency.

5/5 Fun, Fun, Fun
5/5 DWB
4/5 In the Parkin Lot (intro and outro vocals are great)
2/5 Love v. Wilson
5/5 Warmth of the Sun
4/5 This Car of Mine
4.5/5 WDFFIL
4/5 Pom Pom Play Girl (Carl!!)
5/5 Keep and Eye on Summer
3/5 SD Pt2
3.5/5 Louie, Louie
3/5 Denny's Drums
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 06:59:12 PM by LetHimRun » Logged
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2009, 04:02:50 PM »

I think this was keith moon's favorite album. Grin

A discipline daddy.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2009, 07:51:23 PM »

I love Denny's Drums!!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Nicko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2010, 06:51:56 PM »

The disparity between the best songs and the filler has never been more apparent than on this album. Fun, Fun, Fun, Don't Worry Baby and The Warmth of the Sun are all undisputed classics. Why do Fools Fall in Love is a great cover and Pom Pom Play Girl has a certain charm (in spite of the lyrics). There are at least 5 or 6 substandard tracks though which drag it down.

2 1/2 out of 5.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx