gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:54:00 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Shut Down, Volume II
5 - 9 (9.7%)
4 - 45 (48.4%)
3 - 30 (32.3%)
2 - 9 (9.7%)
1 - 0 (0%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 83

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Shut Down, Volume II  (Read 40598 times)
OneEar/OneEye
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2011, 12:49:15 PM »

Some classic songs, but crap as an album.   And the only car songs on here are TCOM and the title track.  Don't Worry Baby is NOT a car song.  I will go to my grave disparaging the misconception that it is.   The song doesn't talk about the car other than just to state that the singer was bragging about it, and it doesn't talk about the drag race he's gotten himself into other than to say that he's scared about it and that his girl has promised to be there for him when he crosses the finish line.  What DWB is is a love song, or a song about insecurity and how the singer is comforted by his girlfriend.  Fun Fun Fun is similarly NOT a car song, though the car the freewheelin' chick cruises around in plays a central role to the idea of her freedom.  It's a song about freedom and a hot, spunky chick who'll get away with murder until her dad finds out and grounds her (and takes away the keys to the T Bird), but the song is NOT about a/the car.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2011, 01:17:27 PM »

IMO, SD Vol. II is more an album about a year in high school, right down to "Keep An Eye On Summer".

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2011, 04:36:15 PM »

Even Louie Louie is about high school?

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2011, 05:20:42 PM »

Maybe not, but I bet the head cheerleader dances to it with her boyfriend. You know she dates the Quarterback.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2011, 07:12:21 PM »

Maybe not, but I bet the head cheerleader dances to it with her boyfriend. You know she dates the Quarterback.

But of course it has to do with high school. 
Boys think about girls, girls about boys. They have to sail across the school day( the sea) to get to where they really want to be, which is alone together. and of course there are all those double entendres about "sailing alone" which is some sort of weird solo sex thing, and then after it all, the school day/week is over, and they can get back to singing DWB to each other in the car, which by the way , makes it a fucking car song

>>Louie Louie, oh baby, me gotta go.
Louie Louie, oh baby, me gotta go.
A fine little girl, she waits for me.
Me catch the ship across the sea.
I sailed the ship all alone.
I never think I'll make it home.

Louie Louie, me gotta go.
Three nights and days we sailed the sea.
Me think of girl constantly.
On the ship, I dream she there.
I smell the rose in her hair.

Louie Louie, me gotta go.
Me see Jamaican moon above.
It won't be long me see me love.
Me take her in my arms and then
I tell her I never leave again.

Louie Louie, oh baby, I said we gotta go <<

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2011, 07:52:55 PM »

Louie Louie is a college party song not a high school party song.

No mas, por favor.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2011, 09:46:23 PM »

maybe once upon a time

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2011, 10:16:26 PM »

maybe once upon a time

This is the new hip high school music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD2LRROpph0  Cool Guy

No mas, por favor.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2011, 06:51:07 AM »

Why, because you saw the scene in Animal House? Come on!

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Vega-Table Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2012, 11:14:35 AM »

This was the first Beach Boys album I ever heard.

I was born in '72, and my first intro to music was via my parents' record collection. This was one of the three Beach Boys albums they had (the other two were Summer Days and Pet Sounds), and this was the one that grabbed me first, when I was barely more than a toddler. I feel like it is almost part of my DNA... I'm sure it shaped my musical tastes to a significant degree.

I give it a 4, but I'm sure part of that is due to sentimental attachment. "Don't Worry Baby" (followed very closely by "Fun, Fun, Fun" and "The Warmth of the Sun") makes the album, and to me is one of the four or five greatest pop songs of all time, by anyone.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2012, 04:08:30 AM »

The Warmth of the Sun - for some time I used to skip this song but, say, a year afterwards it grew on me. The music is very haunting and the harmonies - as usual - are really something! And I can't believe the song's written about John Kennedy!
Not exactly. The night of principal songwriting (Mike & Brian) coincided with Kennedy's assassination - depending on whom you ask or which book you read it was either the night before or the night after. Or some night around the event.* Originally TWOTS was another melancholic tune by Brian, about losing someone (or something) while other things always stay the same. That lyrical content/musing then somewhat incidentally fit the collective American sentiment of the 'end of an era' with the loss of Kennedy, which is often described as a 'loss of innocence' for the United States - a subject matter that's obviously close to Brian.

*Mike once stated that he and Brian sat down and wrote (or finished) the song after hearing of Kennedy's death. Nobody knows in what capacity the incident really influenced the songwriting.

Via search function one might turn up some more stuff on the writing process of TWOTS - I think there's even a separate thread.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 04:18:27 AM by Lowbacca » Logged
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2012, 08:26:41 PM »

I have mixed feelings towards this record: some songs are good, others - middle, other others - a bit dull. Now short descriptions of every track as how I think about them:

Fun, Fun, Fun - totally rad! The rhythm section is fab & the vocals of Mike & Brian are simply killer! 9/10

Don't Worry Baby - this took me 15-something listens to like it. Now it's on my Top-50 by The BBs. Brian's performance is just stellar there! I also like Mike's low-voiced bits and Carl's background vocs. In fact, it is the 1st song where I recognized the greatness of Carl's voice. 9/10
Btw, I recently heard Tokens' version and WOW! Was I amazed by it!

In The Parkin' Lot - a very enjoyable cut! Love every second of it. Very inventive tempo changes and all. 10/10

"Cassius" Love vs. "Sonny" Wilson - imo the best chatter track of The BBs. Have lots of fun while I'm listening to Mike and Brian mocking each other. 10/10

The Warmth of the Sun - for some time I used to skip this song but, say, a year afterwards it grew on me. The music is very haunting and the harmonies - as usual - are really something! And I can't believe the song's written about John Kennedy! 8.5/10.

This Car of Mine - I'm a fan of Dennis' juvenile voice and this song has one of the examples of such. "This car of mi-i-ine" jolly rocks! Not to mention that epic ending "De-da-ley-hup"! Easy 10/10.

Why Do Fools Fall in Love - I dug it before but today it's not good, doesn't pique my interest. I sort of now try to escape that kind of music, i.e. sad and upsetting. So, 6/10.

Pom, Pom Play Girl - honestly, never liked this song. I played it many times and still can't get it. 5/10.

Keep an Eye on Summer - not my favorite slow number of the Boys. It has some beautiful moments, though, e.g. Mike's "Soo-o-on we'll be graduating..." line or group harmonies on word "Waiti-i-i-ing". 7/10

Shut Down, Pt. 2 - a cracking one! Imo the best surf instrumental composed by Carl! 10 out of 10!

Louie, Louie - the original is better, of course, but this rendition has some charm to it. And the elements of humor from Mr. Michael Love. 8/10.

Denny's Drums - funnily enough, 'twas the most listened-to instrumental by the Boys for long time. I even selected it as a ringtone for my cellphone! Anyway, 5/10.

The general summation without calculator = 3.5<->4.  

I never thought I would read a review in which Cassius Love vs. Sonny Wilson was rated higher than Don't Worry Baby. But hey, there's a first time for everything.  Cheesy

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Al Jardine: Pick Up Artist
Smiley Smile Associate

I am an asexual walrus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2012, 09:17:37 PM »

DWB is kinda kinky with the "oh what she does to me" line.

Which song: Inappropriate relationship with sister-in-law

Which song: Gonna straight up bang you with "the wood".

Which song: Weather conditions make me horny

Which song: Lack of proper shoes leads to potential blood poisoning and death.

Which song: Who needs church? Let's do it on the couch.

Dennis: "Holy sh*t, Al, you're finally showing signs of developing facial hair!!!"
musicismylife101
Smiley Smile Associate

The introverted phlegmatic ecapist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2012, 03:35:52 PM »

Some filler here and there but a nice album. Don't Worry Baby is definitely one of the best - Brian's voice is top notch. "Cassius" Love vs. "Sonny" Wilson is fun to listen to. Other notable songs include Warmth of the Sun and Keep an Eye on Summer. Brian just shines on these songs!

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2012, 11:29:16 AM »

One of my very, very favourite early albums, it's terrific! Yes the filler is crap, (although i've noticed some people are counting the title track as filler - personally i think it's a cracking little instrumental) but there's so much good stuff on this album (and not just the obvious contenders - This Car Of Mine features a great early Dennis vocal, In The Parkin' Lot has chord changes to die for, etc). And give Brian a break, he was having to churn out 'product' at an almost unbelievable rate. Given more time and a slightly altered track list, yes, it could've been a 5 star album (see below) but as it is, it's a very healthy 4 stars.

My dream Shut Down tracklisting:

SIDE ONE
1. FUN FUN FUN (Single version)
2. DONT WORRY BABY
3. IN THE PARKIN' LOT
4. WARMTH OF THE SUN
5. BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL (Single version)

SIDE TWO
6. THIS CAR OF MINE
7. WHY DO FOOLS FALL IN LOVE
8. POM POM PLAY GIRL
9. KEEP AN EYE ON SUMMER
10. SHUT DOWN VOL 2
11. I DO
bluesno1fann
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2013, 04:38:31 AM »

Some of the songs ("The Warmth Of The Sun", "Don't Worry Baby", etc.) on this album are some of the greatest of the early Beach Boys.
However, it is still a deeply flawed album with some of the worst filler they ever made ("Cassius Love vs Sonny Wilson", "Denny's Drums", "Louie Louie", etc).
Similar to "L.A. Light Album", it is roughly half very good, and half very bad.
2.5 out of 5
bluesno1fann
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2013, 05:34:24 PM »

However, it is still a deeply flawed album with some of the worst filler they ever made ("Cassius Love vs Sonny Wilson", "Denny's Drums", "Louie Louie", etc).
Similar to "L.A. Light Album", it is roughly half very good, and half very bad.
2.5 out of 5
I like SDVII much more than Light Album. They're kind of 2 records that can't be compared, tbh. As for the worst filler, all that listed in brackets is good for me. Generally speaking, Cassius L. vs. S. Wilson is the best chatter track The BBs talked in. I'll go further by saying I'm glad it exists on this wondrous song collection. Or at all.

I know that Light Album and Shut Down vol 2 are completely different music-wise and from totally different eras. In that case, yes they can't be compared.
What I meant however was how in my opinion both albums have roughly half great tracks, and half horrible tracks.
I guess it's your opinion on liking the filler
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2013, 01:02:49 AM »

The first great Beach Boys album.  "Don't Worry Baby" and "The Warmth of the Sun" are probably two of the most beautiful songs Brian ever wrote.  "Fun, Fun, Fun" is one of the best rock and roll songs Brian (with Mike) ever wrote.  "In the Parkin' Lot" and "Pom Pom Play Girl," while not among the best in the Beach Boys catalog are fun harmless rockers with very catchy melodies.  "Keep an Eye On Summer" is another great Brian Wilson ballad though I'm not crazy about the vocals on this version, I think Brian's solo remake is actually better.  I like how Dennis gets a chance to shine both vocally (on "This Car of Mine," another fun rocker) and instrumentally (on "Denny's Drums").  "Why Do Fools Fall in Love" is one of the better covers the band did while "Louie, Louie" is terribly dull, especially compared to the far superior Kingsmen version.  I think this album really shows Brian coming into his own as both a songwriter and a producer and while there's still a little too much filler compared to the next album, the best songs on here are truly some of the band's greatest.  I give it a 4.

Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2013, 11:16:17 AM »

The filler weighs it down, but the non-filler is too strong to give it a rating any lower than 4.
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2013, 10:22:42 AM »

3/5. The cover pic is very cool! Denny's Drums is GREAT! Fun, Fun, Fun's studio version sucks. Don't worry baby is amazing. Otherwise pretty mediocre stuff. So is it overrated? - Yes.
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2013, 05:30:07 PM »

Throw away .. Love vs Wilson + Louie Louie  + Denny"s Drums and you have a GREAT album with some superior cuts from the Vaults..
KDS
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2015, 07:08:49 AM »

This album is better than LDC, and I rate it a high 4.  But, this is one of those records where, when its great, its GREAT.  But the filler is, well, WOW.  Bad.

Let's start with the positive.  The album begins with one of the great BB songs of all time (overplayed, sure) Fun Fun Fun.  Unfortunately, the album version is shorter than the single version.  Then, more gold with Don't Worry Baby, In the Parking Lot, The Warmth of the Sun (my favorite BB song ever), and This Car of Mine. 

Unfortunately, the first side is marred by the first of three "comedy bits" the Boys decided to put on their albums over the next two years.  Amusing on first listen, Cassius v Sonny completely interupts the flow of the album.  It probably should've been tacked on the end.  The track is also quite prophetic. 

Side 2 is off to a decent start with WDFFIL.  Not one of my favorite BB covers, but good nonetheless.  Another Brian ballad Keep an Eye on Summer is also featured.  Not sure why he felt he had to re-record this in 1998. 

The album kind dips quickly after that with two lackluster instrumentals.  Louie Louie is OK in that, unless the Kingsmen version, you can hear the lyrics.  But TBB version just sounds flat and uninspired.  The last two tracks, plus that comedy thing bring this one down to a four. 
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2015, 11:26:02 AM »

Fun, Fun, Fun - 5/5
Don't Worry Baby - 5/5
In the Parkin Lot -3/5
Cassius Love v Sonny Wilson - 0/5
Warmth of the Sun - 5/5
This Car of Mine - 2/5
Why Do Fools Fall In Love - 4/5
Pom Pom Play Girl - 3/5
Keep and Eye on Summer - 4/5
Shut Down Pt2 - 3/5
Louie, Louie - 1/5
Denny's Drums - 1/5

Never has the divide between great and bad material been so apparent. Some classics on here for sure but too much blatant filler also.
Cassius Love v Sonny Wilson is funny to listen to once.
Overall 3/5.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
KDS
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2015, 06:01:28 AM »

Fun, Fun, Fun - 5/5
Don't Worry Baby - 5/5
In the Parkin Lot -3/5
Cassius Love v Sonny Wilson - 0/5
Warmth of the Sun - 5/5
This Car of Mine - 2/5
Why Do Fools Fall In Love - 4/5
Pom Pom Play Girl - 3/5
Keep and Eye on Summer - 4/5
Shut Down Pt2 - 3/5
Louie, Louie - 1/5
Denny's Drums - 1/5

Never has the divide between great and bad material been so apparent. Some classics on here for sure but too much blatant filler also.
Cassius Love v Sonny Wilson is funny to listen to once.
Overall 3/5.

An album with Fun Fun Fun, Don't Worry Baby, In the Parking Lot, The Warmth of the Sun, and Keep an Eye on Summer should be a classic album.  But, yeah, too much filler. 
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2015, 09:24:06 AM »

Pom Pom Play Girl - 3/5

Only 3?  I love "Pom, Pom Playgirl."  That's one of those deep album cuts that rewards going off the path and buying all the albums.  Can you imagine this arrangement and those chord changes on something like the first album?  It's crazy!!  Crazy brilliant.  I feel like I'm being tossed up and down like a cheerleader!

Weeeeee!!!

I like "In the Parkin' Lot" too.  With filler like this... fill me up!  I think it should have been the album title, rather than the tongue-n-cheek Shut Down, Vol 2.

Love V. Wilson and Denny's Drums are the definition of "filler" though.  Louie, Louie is filler cliché -- therefore done right.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx