gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680839 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 26, 2024, 10:05:22 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson on SNL Videos!  (Read 6492 times)
slothrop
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 25, 2010, 02:12:41 PM »

Sorry if this is a "re-post". Found these after searching YouTube in vain. Poor Brian looks a bit nervous/uneasy throughout but he turns in decent performances, especially of the then contemporary material. "Back Home" rocks pretty good and Brian, appropriately, seems to get a little into it; dig the head shake on the "thinkin' about tomorrow" line, at about 2:35!

Enjoy!

http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/Brian+Wilson+SNL
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 02:52:02 PM »

I hadn't seen it, so thank you !! Very good quality (wel, the footage...). There were some mighty good musicians in the SNL-band.... Unfortunately Brian wasn't the same anymore

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 03:10:36 PM »

Saw these performances while laying on the floor in front of the TV back in November 1976. It was during that couple of months span (including the NBC-TV special, Mike Douglas Show, 15 Big Ones) that I was getting hooked on BB/BW big time. All I remember thinking was "What the fu--". While Brian looked sleepy on "Back Home" and "Love Is A Woman" (one of the worst choices of songs in the history of televised rock & roll), there was something haunting about his performance of "Good Vibrations". And, not too long after that performance, he recorded The Beach Boys Love You.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 05:42:12 PM »

Oddly enough, it's Brian's performance I liked (aside from "Love is a Woman") and the band's that I hated!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
XY
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 09:30:07 PM »

and "Love Is A Woman" (one of the worst choices of songs in the history of televised rock & roll)

It wasn't even released at that time. Who knows, perhaps it was Brian's single A-side candidate?
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 10:08:52 PM »

Oddly enough, it's Brian's performance I liked (aside from "Love is a Woman") and the band's that I hated!
The SNL band wasn't that great, but the Mike Douglas Shows band was far worse. On The Mike Douglas Show, Brian and the band get hoplessly lost and confused during Sloop John B.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 10:13:30 PM »

I always thought these performances were definitely rough, likely due to Brian still adjusting to his new voice, but I don't think they're anywhere near as bad as people go on about.

I've always wondered, though - what's with the first chord of the verse of "Good Vibrations"? Is that the correct chord just sounding funny on a piano instead of organ? It definitely sounds a little off.

I agree a bit more with this. I don't particularly hate it, but still, those backup vocals are just... ehhh.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
MBE
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 10:35:55 PM »

It's really hard for me to hear Brian's voice on this appearance. It's interesting but hardly classic stuff.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 10:46:13 PM »

Is it just me, or does Brian use a dumb "country hick" accent on some of Back Home?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 12:25:39 PM »

Thanks, never saw them before, good performance from Brian !
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 09:52:17 AM »

I think the most awkward part of this is Brian just wandering around during the credits....
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2010, 09:50:03 PM »

I actually like "Love Is A Woman" with the more soulful instrumentation and backing vocals...
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2010, 02:11:12 PM »

Jodie Foster was so young!

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2010, 09:55:32 PM »

She also proved to be one of the worst hosts ever.... incredibly awkward, and didn't know what the hell she was supposed to do.

That episode is just painful.
MBE
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2010, 10:59:20 PM »

She also proved to be one of the worst hosts ever.... incredibly awkward, and didn't know what the hell she was supposed to do.

That episode is just painful.
There was a really bad sketch with her doing dope jokes.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx