gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680600 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 04:55:28 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lost 1972-1974 BW Songs: Just An Imitation, Rooftop Harry, etc  (Read 27037 times)
Sangheon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 04, 2015, 04:49:54 AM »

Lucy Jones was officially? released on Steve Kalinich's CD 'California Feelin 2'.
It's like a piano demo overdubed 'wop bop' doo wap style background vocals.
Mostly the vocals by Steve kalinich. I don't hear Brian's except his count-in and the background vocals.

1. Hellen Keller - Stacy Keach (A poem by Stephen J. Kalinich)
2. Rainbows - Carl B. Wilson
3. Sometimes She's Odd - Tracy Landecker
4. This Song Is About Me - Neil Innes
5. I Don't Have A Clue - Dylan Leblanc
6. I Wanna Say - Ralph Stevens & Stephen J. Kalinich
7. Los Angeles - Ellis Hooks
8. Little Bird - Steve Cropper
9. Lucy Jones - Stephen J. Kalinich
10. When I Change My Mood - Stephen J. Kalinich and Jon Tiven
11. I Will Not Love You Forever - Stephen J. Kalinich
12. Lost On The Moon - Alan Boyd
13. If You Know - P.F. Sloan
14. You Dance My Heart Around The Stars - Mary Wilson
15. The End Of Inspiration - Paul Steel
16. Anytime USA - David Marks
17. My Love Lives On - Carl B. Wilson
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 07:15:03 AM by sangheon » Logged
Bedroom Tapes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 05, 2015, 11:23:54 PM »

It's true, Lucy Jones has finally surfaced.  Pretty basic track with Brian on backups.  Nothing earth-shattering.
kwebb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 06, 2015, 03:07:32 AM »

Where do you find California Feeling 2? I haven't had any luck finding it online, and it's apparently not on itunes
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 06, 2015, 06:58:49 AM »

Where do you find California Feeling 2? I haven't had any luck finding it online, and it's apparently not on itunes

I could swear I saw it at foothillrecords.com, but I'm not finding it now.  A Google search returned only results for California Feeling.  I didn't dig too deep because I shouldn't have to.  Either the album completely sucks or the label has absolutely no idea how to market.  No offense to anybody here who might have been involved with that album on some level, but the fact that I can't readily locate the CD, hear samples, or buy without worrying that the product is a CD-R with liner notes copied at Kinkos... doesn't bode well with me. 
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 06, 2015, 07:24:47 AM »

I could swear I saw it at foothillrecords.com, but I'm not finding it now.  A Google search returned only results for California Feeling.  I didn't dig too deep because I shouldn't have to.  Either the album completely sucks or the label has absolutely no idea how to market.  No offense to anybody here who might have been involved with that album on some level, but the fact that I can't readily locate the CD, hear samples, or buy without worrying that the product is a CD-R with liner notes copied at Kinkos... doesn't bode well with me. 

http://www.amazon.com/California-Feeling-2-Stephen-Kalnich/dp/B016P3QHWA

Sorry it doesn't meet your exacting standards, but this is it.
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 06, 2015, 08:48:27 AM »

We've been thru this before, haven't we?  I'm sorry that my criticism of this label/website offends you so, but you're missing my point.  Yes, that is a link to the album, but in this case Amazon is just the broker.  All that means is that you can buy the CD from Foothill with your Amazon credentials and avoid going thru the label directly.  It still comes from Foothill, who didn't so much as bother to add a track listing to the page!  You didn't buy this CD from Amazon, Wirestone.  You bought it from Foothill through the Amazon pipes.  I'm not saying the product is suspect (although I seriously have purchased what turned out to be self-burned CD-Rs from sellers like this).  I'm simply laughing at the label's inability to market a product.
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 06, 2015, 04:33:05 PM »

Is California Feeling 2 a bootleg??? I cant find it anywhere and there is not any avalible on amazon. amazon usually has a bunch of stock of CDs and then theirs always the option to buy it from someone other then amazon but on amazon and theres none to buy there either.
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 06, 2015, 06:47:57 PM »

Lucy Jones was officially? released on Steve Kalinich's CD 'California Feelin 2'.
Mostly the vocals by Steve kalinich. I don't hear Brian's except his count-in and the background vocals.

Didn't Dennis also record a song with this name? Is this just the lyrics, read as a poem?

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: November 06, 2015, 07:55:13 PM »

Didn't Dennis also record a song with this name? Is this just the lyrics, read as a poem?

Dennis and Steve reportedly collaborated on such a song. My guess would be Dennis put music to Steve's poem, or at least intended to, but this is just the poem.
Sangheon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 06, 2015, 08:42:59 PM »

Is California Feeling 2 a bootleg??? I cant find it anywhere and there is not any avalible on amazon. amazon usually has a bunch of stock of CDs and then theirs always the option to buy it from someone other then amazon but on amazon and theres none to buy there either.

This isn't a bootleg.
"Compilation produced and mastered by Mark Linett" on the back cover.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 08:44:51 PM by sangheon » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 06, 2015, 09:00:14 PM »

I could swear I saw it at foothillrecords.com, but I'm not finding it now.  A Google search returned only results for California Feeling.  I didn't dig too deep because I shouldn't have to.  Either the album completely sucks or the label has absolutely no idea how to market.  No offense to anybody here who might have been involved with that album on some level, but the fact that I can't readily locate the CD, hear samples, or buy without worrying that the product is a CD-R with liner notes copied at Kinkos... doesn't bode well with me.  

We've been thru this before, haven't we?  I'm sorry that my criticism of this label/website offends you so, but you're missing my point.  Yes, that is a link to the album, but in this case Amazon is just the broker.  All that means is that you can buy the CD from Foothill with your Amazon credentials and avoid going thru the label directly.  It still comes from Foothill, who didn't so much as bother to add a track listing to the page!  You didn't buy this CD from Amazon, Wirestone.  You bought it from Foothill through the Amazon pipes.  I'm not saying the product is suspect (although I seriously have purchased what turned out to be self-burned CD-Rs from sellers like this).  I'm simply laughing at the label's inability to market a product.

I didn't buy it.

The question was where it could be found. I gave a link.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 09:01:44 PM by Wirestone » Logged
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 06, 2015, 09:14:13 PM »

This isn't a bootleg.

Sweet What year was this released? 2015?

Sangheon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 06, 2015, 09:22:19 PM »

This isn't a bootleg.

Sweet What year was this released? 2015?

Yes,  2015.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 07, 2015, 08:40:43 AM »

Hooooooooooold up.

This compilation has the version of "Lucy Jones"? Like the one Brian and Steve recorded the day he recorded the "California Feelin'" demo? Does it indeed still have Brian's vocals? Were they erased?

If this is indeed that original recording, that's kind of a big deal.....

Even if the song itself probably isn't much of a big deal.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 07, 2015, 09:38:21 AM »

You're Riding High On The Music and Lucy Jones still exist and have been heard by a few. They're the first known instances of Brian's "new" voice.
I would quite possibly blow another man to hear those recordings.

I would just like to bring this back into attention.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 07, 2015, 02:33:24 PM »

Any chance that someone could....ehm share?  Smiley

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: November 07, 2015, 02:47:01 PM »

Dennis and Steve reportedly collaborated on such a song. My guess would be Dennis put music to Steve's poem, or at least intended to, but this is just the poem.

Just checked the interview Stevie did for the back of Adam Webb's book, and he's quoted there as saying about this song, "We never finished it." So that would mean it probably was never recorded, hence its appearance here as a poem rather than as a song.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 07, 2015, 02:51:24 PM »

I'm a little frustrated at the lack of promotion and clarity on this as well, because a song I produced and was main instrumentalist on is on it ("Sometimes She's Odd" by Tracy Landecker - a very cool track I think in the David Bowie pop mode, though I have not heard Mark Linett's remix of same which is what's on the album) and it took a while to even confirm that so that I might point people in the direction of the album.  It's weird because I am pretty sure the vocal on the track says "Sometimes HE's Odd," so even that's a little foggy.  But yes, from what I understand, current/recent release.  I haven't got a copy of it myself.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 02:53:33 PM by adamghost » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 07, 2015, 10:05:23 PM »

You're Riding High On The Music and Lucy Jones still exist and have been heard by a few. They're the first known instances of Brian's "new" voice.
I would quite possibly blow another man to hear those recordings.

I would just like to bring this back into attention.
Hang on, one of the two songs referenced has yet to surface.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 09, 2015, 04:28:11 PM »

Here is Lucy Jones by Brian Wilson and Stephen Kalinich on youtube! Great song!

https://youtu.be/ESDa41vReZM

Dont forget to share like subscribe and comment!
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: November 09, 2015, 04:52:38 PM »

Umm...

I'll preface this by saying I'm in an airport and just having a quick listen, but I don't really hear Brian all that much. Am I missing something?

I'll also say that this song is EXACTLY how I imagined it. Nothing more, nothing less.

Lastly, if this is indeed all there is, and Brian's vocals haven't been wiped, then this really wasn't a "lost" Brian Wilson song. And truly would probably finish our search for '74/'75 Brian vocals. I think I'm cool with the "California Feelin'" demo and "In The Back Of My Mind" as the true examples of the differences in Brian's voice.

Regardless, very interested to see what other knowledgeable boardies have to say about this one.

AGD, you heard this one before? Alan Boyd, is this the version you heard in the vaults?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: November 10, 2015, 02:50:09 AM »

Allowing for the passage of some dozen years, and the popping of more brain cells than l care to think about... that's pretty much what l heard.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mr Fulton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 10, 2016, 01:33:22 AM »

You guys know that Brian mentioned Just An Imitation in his new book
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 10, 2016, 06:20:49 AM »

You guys know that Brian mentioned Just An Imitation in his new book

Yeah. I did think that it was interesting that it was mentioned like two or three times as well.

Though I'm still suspicious whether there is actually a recording that exists of it. But then, once again, it's also interesting that he says it was recorded at Caribou in Colorado. But once again, do we really know if it was? Maybe we'll find out at some point?
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx