gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680787 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 03:48:11 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lost 1972-1974 BW Songs: Just An Imitation, Rooftop Harry, etc  (Read 27447 times)
Bedroom Tapes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2012, 12:40:12 PM »

Which begs the questions, why are there no Brian Wilson compilations of demos, odds and sods? Is it just not profitable enough nowadays to release records?

Apparently not, given that I think the Hawthorne compilation (or the Endless Harmony soundtrack, I forget which) was deleted from the catalog. Sad

Uh both are still pretty widely available.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2012, 12:18:00 AM »

Damn...I remember this thread!

Well, we obviously now know there WAS a 1967 Surf's Up, only it wasn't what we thought :D

Oh, and Lucy Jones is sung by Stephen Kalinich.

And that song I was referring to on page one was the THIRD  (technically first recorded, but most recently 'distributed') version of Out in the Country.
Ugh...some of the stuff I posted back then is embarrassing. lol By the way, is it just me, or is Out In The Country creepy as hell?  Grin

I love the organ on it, but i can see why it never made it onto an album as the fade is just the Cool Cool Water chant but sung slowly.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2012, 01:59:44 AM »

Which begs the questions, why are there no Brian Wilson compilations of demos, odds and sods? Is it just not profitable enough nowadays to release records?

Apparently not, given that I think the Hawthorne compilation (or the Endless Harmony soundtrack, I forget which) was deleted from the catalog. Sad

That'd be why Hawthorne is selling for $51.48 new on Amazon? Pretty sure it's out of print and was said to be taken out of print for money reasons.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2012, 09:54:01 PM »

That'd be why Hawthorne is selling for $51.48 new on Amazon? Pretty sure it's out of print and was said to be taken out of print for money reasons.

Whatchu mean, runners? Money reasons? I never heard this. Explain...
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2012, 10:07:57 PM »

I think the fact it didn't sell well.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2012, 10:29:39 PM »

Well, yeah...understood. I may have behooved them to put more actual unreleased songs on the album, as opposed to instrumentals and stereo remixes and other stuff. I don't know what they expected was going to happen. There isn't that much of a crowd out there that is going to buy just for a few random curiosities. Besides me, of course Smiley
MBE
« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2012, 10:46:31 PM »

Yeah I think remixes should be on seperate albums. It should have just collected alt takes and unreleased titles.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2012, 10:27:50 AM »

Aha! Confirmation - check it out:

EMI has deleted Hawthorne along with several other BB's titles due to poor sales and the overall demise of the CD........... get em while you can

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2012, 10:33:23 AM »

Aha! Confirmation - check it out:

EMI has deleted Hawthorne along with several other BB's titles due to poor sales and the overall demise of the CD........... get em while you can

This does not bode well for additional rarities collections or expanded reissues of albums.  If only there were something called Beach Boys Central where this stuff could be sold online...
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2014, 01:09:17 PM »

Bump

“We live in divisive times.”
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2014, 01:12:02 PM »

2012 must have been a very good year for threads. They keep bringing them up from the cellar lately.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2014, 02:33:43 PM »

This one won the poll for Smilers to vote for their favourite 2012 thread that wasn't a polling thread.

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2014, 09:22:05 PM »

Oh, I started this thread in 2010! Wow.

Anyways, seems like we haven't learned much since then about this stuff. However, according to the recent Chidester article, "Rooftop Harry" sounds like "schizophrenia on tape" or something, and there's also a small article online about the recording of the song, which apparently included Michael Clarke, former member of The Byrds. Still no word on whether it has a lead vocal though.

I'm beginning to think "Funky Fever" possibly isn't (co-)written by Brian, since I mentioned earlier in the thread that David Sandler says he wrote it and recorded at Ike Turner's studio. Who knows though. Maybe it was a Wilson/Sandler co-write. Anybody got any info on this? AGD? Aeijtzsche?

The medley of "Gimme Some Lovin'" and "Baby I Need Your Lovin'" was definitely recorded too, but who knows if that exists on tape still. David Sandler did say it was probably the best thing he and Brian did together though. It's quite possible that it doesn't have a lead vocal though. Maybe it does though, who knows?

"Lucy Jones" was apparently in contention for Made In California, but if descriptions are correct, I can probably understand why it didn't make it. Supposedly Steve Kalinich sings most of it. I'm not sure how much Brian is vocally featured on that one. And "You're Riding High on the Music", well I've never really heard much about that at all. I'm pretty sure it's from the same session as "California Feelin'" and "Lucy Jones" as it is also a Wilson/Kalinich composition, but who knows? Anyways, to anyone who knows, is "You're Riding High..." on tape?

And lastly, I'd be surprised to learn that stuff like "Pattycake" actually exist on tape. Along with "Just an Imitation". Although, who knows?

I wish we could have "Just An Imitation", the Brian "California Feeling" demo,  "Where Is She", and the 1967 "Surf's Up" (if it exists)....then I think I, as a Beach Boys fan, would finally be somewhat content.

Funny that I wrote this. Because now that Brian's "California Feelin'" demo and "Where Is She?" are now released, along with "Surf's Up 1967" (although not the 1967 version of "Surf's Up" that I imagined), it seems that I should almost be contented as a Beach Boys fan. Because the only thing left on my list is "Just an Imitation" which I'm not sure even exists in a recorded version.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2014, 02:53:52 AM »

Many thanks for that Sweetdudejim, appreciate the update and overview.

I'm looking forward to the next part of the LA Weekly saga and to learning how much more of this material there is that we haven't already heard or heard of.  Find it hard to believe here can be much more than listed at Andrew's site but this is Planet Beach Boys and I'm prepared for anything!

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: February 10, 2014, 03:33:04 AM »

<<I actually was talking to David Sandler and he told me that he didn't know anything about "Rooftop Harry", but that he wrote "Funky Fever" and it was recorded at Ike Turner's studio but that he didn't remember much of it.>> 
<<I'm beginning to think "Funky Fever" possibly isn't (co-)written by Brian, since I mentioned earlier in the thread that David Sandler says he wrote it and recorded at Ike Turner's studio. Who knows though. Maybe it was a Wilson/Sandler co-write. Anybody got any info on this? AGD? Aeijtzsche?>>

There is an AFM sheet for "Funky Fever" which dates the session to February 28, 1972. The listed location is "Bolec" (aka Bolic Sound, Ike Turner's studio in Inglewood). Brian's name is listed among the musicians (along with David Sandler and others), so I would imagine that he actually WAS there. But, as you say..."who knows". Smiley

« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 03:35:04 AM by c-man » Logged
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 10, 2014, 06:32:55 AM »

<<I actually was talking to David Sandler and he told me that he didn't know anything about "Rooftop Harry", but that he wrote "Funky Fever" and it was recorded at Ike Turner's studio but that he didn't remember much of it.>> 
<<I'm beginning to think "Funky Fever" possibly isn't (co-)written by Brian, since I mentioned earlier in the thread that David Sandler says he wrote it and recorded at Ike Turner's studio. Who knows though. Maybe it was a Wilson/Sandler co-write. Anybody got any info on this? AGD? Aeijtzsche?>>

There is an AFM sheet for "Funky Fever" which dates the session to February 28, 1972. The listed location is "Bolec" (aka Bolic Sound, Ike Turner's studio in Inglewood). Brian's name is listed among the musicians (along with David Sandler and others), so I would imagine that he actually WAS there. But, as you say..."who knows". Smiley

Ah, very interesting c-man. If you don't mind answering, could you say who the "artist" is listed as? Is it "Brian Wilson", "Brian Wilson and David Sandler" or "The Beach Boys"?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2014, 03:52:07 AM »

Ah, very interesting c-man. If you don't mind answering, could you say who the "artist" is listed as? Is it "Brian Wilson", "Brian Wilson and David Sandler" or "The Beach Boys"?

"Beachboys", same as the other early '72 contracts. Other musicians include guitarist Al Vescovo and drummer Edward Greene, whose name I recognize from one of the cuts on Steely Dan's "Aja" album, released five years later.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 11, 2014, 01:55:56 PM »

"Beachboys", same as the other early '72 contracts. Other musicians include guitarist Al Vescovo and drummer Edward Greene, whose name I recognize from one of the cuts on Steely Dan's "Aja" album, released five years later.

C-man, if you don't mind, does that mean "Rooftop Harry" also listed as a "Beachboys" session?

And lastly, is there any paperwork for the medley of "Gimme Some Lovin'" and "Baby I Need Your Lovin'"?
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 11, 2014, 04:55:37 PM »

Yeah, that's Ed Greene, Barry White's main drummer, a top laid-back funk groove guy. Not the 1st drummer who would come to mind for a Brian session...
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: February 15, 2014, 04:56:24 AM »

C-man, if you don't mind, does that mean "Rooftop Harry" also listed as a "Beachboys" session?

And lastly, is there any paperwork for the medley of "Gimme Some Lovin'" and "Baby I Need Your Lovin'"?

No AFM documentation apparently exists for "Rooftop Harry", so I can't say. There's a contract for "Gimme, gimme, good lovin" (sic) dated April 4, 1972. The "Name of Artist or Group" line on that one is left blank, but "Brian Wilson" is listed as the session leader and "Brother Records" is listed as the employer. three musicians are listed on that one: Brian Wilson, Tommy Morgan, and David Sandler.

Interestingly, there are a handful of AFM contracts for untitled songs dating from the "Sunflower" era (late '69 and early '70) recorded at "BeachBoys Studio" (aka Brian's Bellagio house), where the employer is "Brian Wilson Productions" rather than "Brother Records". These sessions appear to be separate from known Beach Boys sessions of the same time (like "When Girls Get Together", "Raspberries, Strawberries", and "This Whole World"), where the employer is always listed as as either Brother Records or "BeachBoys".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 15, 2014, 05:36:18 AM »

Interestingly, there are a handful of AFM contracts for untitled songs dating from the "Sunflower" era (late '69 and early '70) recorded at "BeachBoys Studio" (aka Brian's Bellagio house), where the employer is "Brian Wilson Productions" rather than "Brother Records". These sessions appear to be separate from known Beach Boys sessions of the same time …

Now you're talkin'!  That is intriguing.

adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 16, 2014, 01:21:31 AM »

Could those be the rewritten versions of old Beach Boys hits recorded around that time?  (or FRIENDS, or whatever?)
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: February 16, 2014, 05:23:06 AM »

Could those be the rewritten versions of old Beach Boys hits recorded around that time?  (or FRIENDS, or whatever?)

That's an interesting theory...hopefully those tapes either have been examined or will be in the near future!
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 16, 2014, 01:19:06 PM »

Last time I heard Rooftop Harry, it was discordant with vibes and horns playing abrasively against each other. It is a simple track and where Brian was going with it is hard to discern.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 16, 2014, 10:10:22 PM »

Last time I heard Rooftop Harry, it was discordant with vibes and horns playing abrasively against each other. It is a simple track and where Brian was going with it is hard to discern.

Any vocals Peter?
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx