gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 05:42:02 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: T.A.M.I. Show  (Read 14463 times)
mikee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2010, 11:49:58 PM »

BTW, T.A.M.I. stands for Teen Age Music International
They should have renamed it for this 45 year+ anniversary release  since the music is, magically, no longer teenage music.   Also, not so magically, those of us who were there are no longer teenagers.

Renaming it would be like colorizing it, and re-dubbing the bass and drum parts with new musicians. It was, is, and always will be the T.A.M.I. Show..
I was not serious about literally renaming it.  I do find it noteworthy that most of the same exact music that was teenage music 45 years ago, is in now largely, in perception, adult music.    

and re-dubbing the bass and drum parts with new musicians.
That would not be unusual. The BB's tinkered with at least a couple of their concert albums, a practice many (probably most) other groups have followed.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 11:52:51 PM by mikee » Logged
mikee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2010, 12:18:49 AM »

That's what it stood for when the film was released, and the key word in my initial post was, "was." The whole thing dissolved, but the T.A.M.I. Show was the first of what they hoped would be many events, but that didn't happen.
Interesting.  So that's probably why TAMI-2 got the new acronymn: Big T.N.T.

It was shot through Video Cameras, and the image was then sent directly to 35mm negative. There was NO 2 inch video tape involved.
In the AIP vault were the original 35mm negative, and 35mm positive print. The original 3 track Audio mag was missing, so the audio cannot be remixed.
 That's interesting and of course explains why original video tape does not exist.  Was this a common process and what was the purpose of using it  on this (relatively low budget) production?  
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 11:29:27 AM by mikee » Logged
mikee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2010, 12:32:39 AM »

Ron says the 35mm Negative looks Stunning, without any "Kinescope" type look.  Also, the Big TNT Show was shot the exact same way, so there is a possibility of that being released the same way. Perhaps if this release sells well, they will issue TNT
I hope so.  I loved most of the performances in that show. BTW if you look carefully you will see Frank Zappa (highly recognizeable) and also Ron & Russell Mael (less so) in the audience.    The "Moulin Rouge" club was (and the building still stands) on the south side of Sunset near the Hollywood Palladium not far from Ameoba Records.  It was called both the  Aquarius and the Hullabaloo Clubs in the late 60's.  It  is currently used as a stage  for Televison productions.  It could conceivably even become a club again someday.  

The "sister" Big T.N.T show (linked and clipped on a terrible combo video, laconically and ridiculously hosted by Chuck Berry) was done the same way.
   Wiki is mistaken. Chuck Berry does not appear in the "Big T.N.T. Show.  If he had he might have been laconic, which would be great, but I highly doubt that it would be ridiculous. The actual host was David MacCallum.  How someone got those two wiki-mixed up is beyond me.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 12:53:28 AM by mikee » Logged
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2010, 04:07:50 AM »

The wikipedia error was caused because they were thinking of the home video from the 80s which combined clips from TAMI and TNT- which Chuck Berry Hosted.  By the way-on the TAMI subject-as I mentioned in an article in ESQ recently-I have articles from 1973 in which Dick Clark discussed the TAMI Show-he bought the rights to the show and was going to re-release it in 73 (tied in with the nostalgia boom-American Grafitti etc).  Clark mentioned that the BB footage was being cut from the film because he could not reach a deal with them.  So the footage was excised at that time not in the 60s.  Article also mentioned that the BBs were paid more than most of the other performers to be in the film originally.  Indeed, the Stones were not yet huge in the states (no number one till 1965) and recieved half of what the BBs got.
Cal
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2010, 05:50:46 AM »

So if I've read this correctly, this is still a kinescope though we're getting it duped from the 35 mm negative this time? It then should look many times better than the source used on SIGHTS AND SOUNDS OF SUMMER.

Regards,
Cal aka "Beatle Bob"
Smiley
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 05:51:39 AM by Cal » Logged
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2010, 06:25:17 AM »

So if I've read this correctly, this is still a kinescope though we're getting it duped from the 35 mm negative this time? It then should look many times better than the source used on SIGHTS AND SOUNDS OF SUMMER.

Regards,
Cal aka "Beatle Bob"
Smiley

It strikes me that the only way they could have done this "direct from video cameras to 35mm film" thing at the time would have been to set up a 35mm camera and film a video monitor, which is, in fact, a kinescope. I imagine they must have used at least two film cameras (starting at different times) aimed at two monitors to avoid losing any of the performances when the film mag needed to be changed out.
PS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2010, 12:53:55 PM »

The "sister" Big T.N.T show (linked and clipped on a terrible combo video, laconically and ridiculously hosted by Chuck Berry) was done the same way.

Wiki is mistaken. Chuck Berry does not appear in the "Big T.N.T. Show.  If he had he might have been laconic, which would be great, but I highly doubt that it would be ridiculous. The actual host was David MacCallum.  How someone got those two wiki-mixed up is beyond me.

This is a misunderstanding of my admittedly ambiguous entry. I was specifically referring to the combination - re-edited and intercut - video release called THAT WAS ROCK (1984) which I still have on VHS, where Berry is in a studio, reading introductions to the alternating TAMI and TNT performances on a soundstage and some kind of minimalist set (a car? I can't recall) -  by himself. Corny and campy (like the painful cue card intros still done today on award shows), and read "with a wink in his eye" might be a more apt description than "laconic" (though I think he is reclining on the set, "dock of the bay" care-free style, when we cut back to him at some point) - but there is an awkward disconnect between the excitement of the material and his rather useless intros, and he is self-consciously playing up the canned aspect of the whole thing. Painful to watch (you have to fast forward through his shtick after one viewing) next to these great performances. The WIKI entry does NOT mention Berry as being the host of TNT, but is also referring specifically to the THAT WAS ROCK combination tape. I do have the complete TNT show, (yes, hosted by McCallum - who, ahem, "conducts" an orchestral reading of Satisfaction) - and it does look very good, but, as I mentioned. if the image was going through a video camera from that era, even directly bypassing tape onto 35mm, you will still be able to discern a kinescope look in the texture and outlines (even though the specs on the Electronovision cameras were apparently "hi-def"). Looking forward to this release, then, especially in light of Mr. Furmanek's expert testimony above, but once again lamenting how 3 track masters of such things go "missing"...( a common story in music and film history before our current era of preservation for profit).

The excellent house band for TNT does sound, btw, at least in part like the Crew...
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 01:08:34 PM by PS » Logged
mikee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2010, 12:16:05 AM »

The excellent house band for TNT does sound, btw, at least in part like the Crew...
 That would be because it was "members" of the Crew wouldn't it?  I have to admit that I don't specifically remember which individuals.  It seems to me that Spector as musical director would have hired the musicians he usually worked with, esp. considering the show was in L.A. and they were the best choices in the world for this particular assignment.   One additional musician (whom I wondered about his identity) was the guitarist playing with Ike.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aWeluxVHhM
I feel that this is the definitive Ike and Tina Turner performance existing from their prime.  
For that reason alone the Big TNT Show should get out.  But it is also contains the definitive  performance from Bo Diddley's prime.  The Ray Charles is prime Ray Charles, The Spoonful performance is likewise.  A rare, maybe the only?, video of Spector in performance,  likewise rare live Ronettes footage, and more.

I would love to hear from anyone who can correctly identify the guitarist with I&T and the members the Big T.N.T. House band. (Spector on piano, with Baez,  of course for starters).
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 12:40:13 AM by mikee » Logged
MBE
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2010, 12:23:06 AM »

Ike and Tina used a lot of their own band. I don't know the names of everyone who was in it (Jimmy Thomas may be who you are thinking of) but it should the same one as on their Ike and Tina Live Warner Brothers LP
mikee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2010, 12:45:58 AM »

Ike and Tina used a lot of their own band. I don't know the names of everyone who was in it (Jimmy Thomas may be who you are thinking of) but it should the same one as on their Ike and Tina Live Warner Brothers LP
 You are right and the band changed members a lot.  I was surprised to learn that McCoy Tyner actually toured with I&T for a while during a lean period for him when jazz was just not selling.
 If you would know the band members by sight, please take a look at the video and let me know.  
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 12:47:10 AM by mikee » Logged
MBE
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2010, 04:13:00 AM »

Hendrix was in their band briefly around this time though obviously not in the film.
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2010, 09:02:55 AM »

That's interesting and of course explains why original video tape does not exist.  Was this a common process and what was the purpose of using it  on this (relatively low budget) production?  

This method actually resulted in an overall less expensive production, as camera switches could be accomplished real-time in the control room off of the video feeds onto the master kinescope (a la live TV), instead of post-production editing from multiple camera footages captured on separate reels of film.  The downside is that you were locked into the director's live camera choices...unless you recorded multiple identical shows and edited them together.

Lee
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2010, 10:15:27 AM »

I'm pretty sure all will be revealed with this fine DVD is released in March.
etrueholly
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2010, 04:39:05 PM »

There were two shows that were documented for The T.A.M.I. Show on October 28 and 29, 1964. Although there were two nights' worth of concerts — as well as an afternoon how that was filmed on the second day without an audience present — the footage that makes up The T.A.M.I. Show was taken exclusively from the second night's concert, which took five hours to film.

The crowd was made of primarily of students from Santa Monica High School.

My mom was a senior at Santa Monica High (a.k.a. SAMOHI), and as she remembers it (vaguely after 45 years at this point), her and her friend Gail both got asked by an audience recruiter of some sort if they wanted to come back later in the evening (a few hours after school would end that day) across the street to the Santa Monica Civic Center to see a live music concert being filmed.

My mom wasn't really a big fan of the Beach Boys and was most excited to see James Brown, but got totally enthralled by seeing The Rolling Stones (especially Mick's swagger) that night. No idea if she saw the 1st or 2nd night filmed.

Both her and her friend somehow wound up meeting the band The Barbarians right around this time (she doesn't recall how exactly, or if it had anything to do with T.A.M.I), but they wound up hanging with them at  some pre-or post show stuff, and she has a few B&W snapshots of The Barbarians in front of, and inside their motel (presumably in Santa Monica?).

Wish she had more (or any!) Beach Boys-related T.A.M.I. stories to tell about!
Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2010, 08:54:05 PM »

I've interviewed director Steve Binder. He sent me a tape a few years ago.

Looking forward to the extras, like the intro without credits.

It's too bad Jan & Dean sound terrible on T.A.M.I. — but their opening segment, artist intros and connecting bits are classic.

M.

mikee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2010, 01:02:51 AM »

Both her and her friend somehow wound up meeting the band The Barbarians right around this time (she doesn't recall how exactly, or if it had anything to do with T.A.M.I), but they wound up hanging with them at  some pre-or post show stuff, and she has a few B&W snapshots of The Barbarians in front of, and inside their motel (presumably in Santa Monica?).
  The Barbarians were one of the great 60's garage bands.  I love the song "Moulty" though my understanding is that Moulty Moulton was the only Barbarian actually performing on the song. Levon and the Hawks (later to be the Band) played on the track.  "Are You a Boy or Are You a Girl?" was great also.  It was some other song that they did on the TAMI show though wasn't it?     
elmolewis
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2010, 09:48:38 AM »

Here is the link to Amazon.com for the long awaited official release of the T.A.M.I. Show on DVD coming this March 23rd.  If you go to the Amazon.com site, you will see the complete song listing of the whole show including bonus features.  It looks great.  I already pre-ordered my copy.

Rob

[www.amazon.com]

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2010, 12:21:34 AM »

I can certainly see/hear an improvement judging by this Youtube clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDIBMaCTwFw

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Cal
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2010, 09:31:24 AM »

This is a MAJOR improvement over SIGHTS AND SOUNDS OF SUMMER DVD. Now, I'm VERY excited about acquiring this release. Could this show have the Beach Boys greatest live performance ever. My vote is yes!

Regards,
Cal aka "Beatle Bob"
Smiley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2010, 09:41:42 AM »

This is a MAJOR improvement over SIGHTS AND SOUNDS OF SUMMER DVD. Now, I'm VERY excited about acquiring this release. Could this show have the Beach Boys greatest live performance ever. My vote is yes!

Regards,
Cal aka "Beatle Bob"
Smiley

Best quality I've ever seen, by at least two generations.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2010, 12:39:24 PM »

No sign of it on UK Amazon? Any prospect?

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2010, 08:46:35 AM »

Hate to say I told you so.
PS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2010, 02:36:28 PM »

I concur with AGD --

Previous versions look like surveillance tapes compared to this transfer.

This will now be in the top five DVD pop/rock concerts ever released, if the rest of it looks this good.

(and all the other tracks  from each artist that I have never seen).
SG7
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2010, 02:54:16 PM »

That is very nice quality. Now if only one can find the Hawaii footage..
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2010, 04:11:04 PM »

Has anyone else noticed during "I Get Around" someone "jamming" along with the group? Most notably on guitar at 0:24-0:39 in the backround towards the right of screen and on piano (?) at 1:12-1:26 and 1:33-1:49 again towards the right of screen in the backround.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx