gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680853 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 09:12:46 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: T.A.M.I. Show  (Read 14528 times)
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« on: January 10, 2010, 03:17:53 PM »

Been watching the T.A.M.I. Show screener due out in March from Shout Factory in March, really great to see this classic film fully restored with the Beach Boys. The Beach Boys look great!
PS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 09:33:10 PM »

Been watching the T.A.M.I. Show screener due out in March from Shout Factory in March, really great to see this classic film fully restored with the Beach Boys. The Beach Boys look great!

How is the overall quality of the picture and sound? Any significant improvement over what's been available already at all? Did they use a a different master audio source other than the original video? If memory serves, it was recorded on broadcast video ("Electronovision", Wiki confirms, "hi-definition at 25 fps") but then transferred to film for a theatrical release, so it has that kinescope quality with rather harsh, monaural sound.

And I presume no T.N.T.?
Cal
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 07:06:52 AM »

Yes I 'm wondering if it's sourced (for this DVD) from 2" video or the kinescope? Does it look better than what's on the SIGHTS AND SOUNDS OF SUMMER collection?

Thanking in advance!

Regards,
Cal
Smiley
GLarson432
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 07:52:26 AM »

I just hope James Brown's 19 minutes are intact.  To me they are the highlight of that entire show.

I've said it before, maybe here, and I'll say it again.  I've seen nearly 60 BB's/BB related shows since July of 1964.  I've seen Hendrix, Joplin, The Doors (hey, I'm old!) but the best two concerts of my Life were seeing James Brown in both 1967 and 1968 in Tulsa. OK.  "The hardest working man in Show Business"?  You bet your bleeping ass! 

At first he just looks corny (for lack of a better term) but after 3 hours and 45 minutes (4 sets; 3 intermissions of about 15 mins both years) he has you in the palm of his hands.

The Rolling Stones followed him at T.A.M.I., at least on the DVD version I have, and were reportedly devastated.  Something to the effect of "how the bleep do you follow that"?
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 11:32:36 AM »

Gotta agree with you about James Brown. I'm looking forward to the T.AM.I. show release as much for his performance as for the BB's.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 11:34:56 AM by Emdeeh » Logged
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 11:45:24 AM »

The screener (and accompanying press release) don't delve into the subject of the masters used, etc. Maybe when it's released in March those details will be included in the packaging.  The beach Boys portion looks identical to the SASOS footage. The entire show is amazingly clear!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 06:57:07 AM by ESQ Editor » Logged
GLarson432
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 09:39:52 PM »

BTW, T.A.M.I. stands for Teen Age Music International.  Most readers probably knew that but I'm sure that there are a few that didn't.  If you know the Jan and Dean song "(Here They Come) From All Over The World", a minor hit in 1964, then you know the song that I suspect was written specifically for this show.  It definitely opens the show.

Teen Age Music International...really?  I don't think it was the brightest bulb on the tree that came up with THAT name.
mikee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 01:15:25 AM »

BTW, T.A.M.I. stands for Teen Age Music International
Which, of course, stands for nothing.

They should have renamed it for this 45 year+ anniversary release  since the music is, magically, no longer teenage music.   Also, not so magically, those of us who were there are no longer teenagers.   

I wish they would do the same for the Big TNT show which I love.  It was also produced by Henry Saperstein who is likely responsible for the titles.  Both shows were recorded on video tape which was then transfered to film.  It will be interesting to find out what the source for this edition of the TAMI show was.       
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 07:53:30 AM »

BTW, T.A.M.I. stands for Teen Age Music International.  Most readers probably knew that but I'm sure that there are a few that didn't.  If you know the Jan and Dean song "(Here They Come) From All Over The World", a minor hit in 1964, then you know the song that I suspect was written specifically for this show.  It definitely opens the show.

The Jan & Dean single — "(Here They Come) From All Over The World" — was released in February 1965, so the Sloan-Barri song wasn't a minor hit until 1965 (CHARTS: BILLBOARD #56 -- CASH BOX #50). The film itself was still showing in some theaters when the single was released.
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 07:56:36 AM »

They should have renamed it for this 45 year+ anniversary release  since the music is, magically, no longer teenage music.   Also, not so magically, those of us who were there are no longer teenagers.   

T.A.M.I. does stand for something: It was designed to be an international nonprofit organization that would produce a series of yearly concerts and awards ceremonies to be broadcast over a major television network, with proceeds earmarked for music scholarships and other musical programs to benefit teenagers around the world. (Teens were encouraged to vote via IBM punch-card ballots that would be distributed at the initial concert as well as in theaters when the T.A.M.I. Show made its debut.)

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2010, 08:49:56 AM »

T.A.M.I. does stand for something: It was designed to be an international nonprofit organization that would produce a series of yearly concerts and awards ceremonies to be broadcast over a major television network, with proceeds earmarked for music scholarships and other musical programs to benefit teenagers around the world. (Teens were encouraged to vote via IBM punch-card ballots that would be distributed at the initial concert as well as in theaters when the T.A.M.I. Show made its debut.)

Gee, I don't know if that makes sense. maybe "it was supposed to stand for something" is better. I , for one, haven't seen anything about that organization;
It was intended to stand for something, but it doesnt. It's non-existent

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2010, 08:56:31 AM »

Renaming it would be like colorizing it, and re-dubbing the bass and drum parts with new musicians. It was, is, and always will be the T.A.M.I. Show...probably the greatest pop music concert that was ever captured on film/video. I am also interested in the source as I know of a pristine 35mm print that was discovered a few years back...but this release (so far) doesn't seem to be reporting that as its source.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2010, 09:11:22 AM »

Renaming it would be like colorizing it, and re-dubbing the bass and drum parts with new musicians. It was, is, and always will be the T.A.M.I. Show...probably the greatest pop music concert that was ever captured on film/video. I am also interested in the source as I know of a pristine 35mm print that was discovered a few years back...but this release (so far) doesn't seem to be reporting that as its source.

Definitely! Renaming it would be ridiculous.
I keep seeing the references to 35 mm film and/or 2"videotape. Does anyone know definitively the original medium? I'm presuming film.
Meaning, it's been said it was shot and mixed live from the monitors onto film. What exactly does that mean, and would there be tapes existing from multiple cameras that were then mixed down to make the film?

Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2010, 09:22:18 AM »

Definitely! Renaming it would be ridiculous.
I keep seeing the references to 35 mm film and/or 2"videotape. Does anyone know definitively the original medium? I'm presuming film.
Meaning, it's been said it was shot and mixed live from the monitors onto film. What exactly does that mean, and would there be tapes existing from multiple cameras that were then mixed down to make the film?
There are definitely multiple camera angles in existence as i have a version of Surfin USA that shows a different camera angle on a couple of shots than what is shown in the official released T.A.M.I. version.
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2010, 10:19:26 AM »

Gee, I don't know if that makes sense. maybe "it was supposed to stand for something" is better. I , for one, haven't seen anything about that organization;
It was intended to stand for something, but it doesnt. It's non-existent
[/quote]

That's what it stood for when the film was released, and the key word in my initial post was, "was." The whole thing dissolved, but the T.A.M.I. Show was the first of what they hoped would be many events, but that didn't happen.
Cal
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2010, 10:37:43 AM »

The beach Boys portion looks identical to the SASOS footage. The entire show is amazingly clear!

If the Beach Boys portion is identical to what's on SIGHTS AND SOUNDS OF SUMMER DVD, then all we have is digitally cleaned up kinescope. It can't be that amazlingly clear from this source.  If it's from video it should have a better frequecny response and be less tinny than the kinescope audio. Can you elaborate/compare/a-b the different sources for us?

Thanking in advance!

Regards,
Cal (aka "Beatle Bob")
Smiley
PS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2010, 12:11:39 PM »

from Wiki:

"It was shot with TV cameras by director Steve Binder and his crew from The Steve Allen Show, and was the second of a small handful of productions to be recorded in Electronovision - one of the first high-definition video cameras that captured somewhere between 1000-1100 lines at 25fps. Then it was via kinescope recording converted to (obviously 35mm film - PS) film with sufficient enhanced resolution to allow big-screen enlargement."

The "sister" Big T.N.T show (linked and clipped on a terrible combo video, laconically and ridiculously hosted by Chuck Berry) was done the same way. T.N.T. has some fantastic material as well, including the best Ronettes ever recorded, Ike and Tina, Ray Charles, Pet Clark, original Byrds, Zal (who is wild) and the Spoonful (!), and an unforgettable Bo Diddley rave up ("Hey, Bo Diddley!"), with the sexiest image of a group I've ever seen - 3 gorgeous women singing backup, but with one, "The Duchess" (Norma-Jean Wofford), strumming a Bo Box Guitar while decked out in a glittering formal evening gown and heels, playing that infectious beat while dancing in unison, in beehives and "formals"...the contrast was exquisite, the fetish meter in overdrive...

The version that I have is excellent, but clearly a kinescope, with both video and 35mm print artifacts visible, and the sound in rather thin mono - this is why I'm curious to know if there was a proper two track master recorded from the board of either show.

again, from WIKI:

The Big T.N.T. Show is a 1966 concert film. Directed by Larry Peerce and distributed by American International Pictures, it includes performances by numerous popular rock and roll and R&B musicians from the United States and England. A sequel to 1964's The T.A.M.I. Show, and like it executive produced by Henry G. Saperstein (produced by Spector and 'audio consulted' by Larry Levine [/i] - PS), The Big T.N.T. Show was likewise shot on videotape and transferred to 35-millimeter film. Some footage from it was reused in the film That Was Rock a.k.a. The T.A.M.I. / T.N.T. Show (1984).

The concert was shot before a live audience at the Moulin Rouge club in Los Angeles, California on November 29, 1965. Its pre-release title was This Could Be the Night. The film's theme song was, in fact, called "This Could Be the Night", and was written by Harry Nilsson (which was later covered, of course, by Brian on the Harry Tribute - PS), produced by Phil Spector, and performed by The Modern Folk Quartet.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 01:21:45 PM by PS » Logged
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2010, 02:43:46 PM »

There were two shows that were documented for The T.A.M.I. Show on October 28 and 29, 1964. Although there were two nights' worth of concerts — as well as an afternoon how that was filmed on the second day without an audience present — the footage that makes up The T.A.M.I. Show was taken exclusively from the second night's concert, which took five hours to film.

The crowd was made of primarily of students from Santa Monica High School.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2010, 02:48:09 PM »

There were two shows that were documented for The T.A.M.I. Show on October 28 and 29, 1964. Although there were two nights' worth of concerts — as well as an afternoon how that was filmed on the second day without an audience present — the footage that makes up The T.A.M.I. Show was taken exclusively from the second night's concert, which took five hours to film.

This being the case, would probably explain the different camera angles Jon mentioned.
Now finding the other footage, maybe the whole show(s) THAT would be Something!!

Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2010, 03:18:04 PM »

This being the case, would probably explain the different camera angles Jon mentioned.
Now finding the other footage, maybe the whole show(s) THAT would be Something!!
No...the different angles are from the same show/performance we all know and love. This was probably a four or five camera shoot, with the director choosing whatever feed choices from those multiple live cameras that he felt were best to make up the footage in the movie. What I have generally follows the same direction, but a slightly different choice of shots appear in a couple of places, very brief, in this particular edit. Might have been an early edit, or something someone messed with after the fact...but its the same performance of SUSA, with pretty much the same flow of shots, BUT with a couple quick and noticeable exceptions.
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2010, 04:38:04 PM »

Only the second show was actually filmed
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2010, 07:22:57 PM »

from Wiki:
"It was shot with TV cameras by director Steve Binder and his crew from The Steve Allen Show, and was the second of a small handful of productions to be recorded in Electronovision - one of the first high-definition video cameras that captured somewhere between 1000-1100 lines at 25fps. Then it was via kinescope recording converted to (obviously 35mm film - PS) film with sufficient enhanced resolution to allow big-screen enlargement."

When Dennis & I were first 'bonding', and finding out about our shared love of film & Video, the two things he raved about the most were T.A.M.I. being shot on Electronovision, and his having participated in the first live international satellite broadcast of a concert which featured The Beatles & The Beach Boys!  I've seen info about that show, but had let him down because I couldn't track it down...
However, according to Ron Furmanek, this dvd IS from the 35 master:  
"Let the viewers know that Dick Clark Productions owns it 100% & is currently getting it ready for DVD release!
It will be complete & uncut, from original 35mm negatives!. As you know no video exists as it was a direct to 35mm process.   So this will be the absolute cleanest it will ever be & it sparkles! Super sharp picture.
I helped with it a bit & some cool bonus materials will be included,.among them will be the opening scenes (shot on 35mm),.but without credits!"

c-ya
Ron F

Here's some more info that I've found out about this release:

It was shot through Video Cameras, and the image was then sent directly to 35mm negative. There was NO 2 inch video tape involved.
In the AIP vault were the original 35mm negative, and 35mm positive print. The original 3 track Audio mag was missing, so the audio cannot be remixed.
There was also the opening sequence without the credits. This *could* be bonus material if the producers decide to include it.
The crowd noises were 99% overdubbed to match the "screaming kids" on the film.

Ron says the 35mm Negative looks Stunning, without any "Kinescope" type look.  Also, the Big TNT Show was shot the exact same way, so there is a possibility of that being released the same way. Perhaps if this release sells well, they will issue TNT.

Finally, there is a really interesting piece on YouTube, of Richard Burton discussing Electronovision:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLQDW4ZqckQ

« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 07:25:14 PM by Ed Roach » Logged
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2010, 08:43:43 PM »

However, according to Ron Furmanek, this dvd IS from the 35 master:  
"Let the viewers know that Dick Clark Productions owns it 100% & is currently getting it ready for DVD release!
It will be complete & uncut, from original 35mm negatives!. As you know no video exists as it was a direct to 35mm process.   So this will be the absolute cleanest it will ever be & it sparkles! Super sharp picture.
I helped with it a bit & some cool bonus materials will be included,.among them will be the opening scenes (shot on 35mm),.but without credits!"

c-ya
Ron F

Here's some more info that I've found out about this release:

It was shot through Video Cameras, and the image was then sent directly to 35mm negative. There was NO 2 inch video tape involved.
In the AIP vault were the original 35mm negative, and 35mm positive print. The original 3 track Audio mag was missing, so the audio cannot be remixed.
There was also the opening sequence without the credits. This *could* be bonus material if the producers decide to include it.
The crowd noises were 99% overdubbed to match the "screaming kids" on the film.

Ron says the 35mm Negative looks Stunning, without any "Kinescope" type look.  

This being the case, where does that leave Jon's copy with the alternate camera angles? 
If the only film ever made from this is the one they're now using, where did the other shots come from? 

XY
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2010, 09:29:45 PM »

There are definitely multiple camera angles in existence as i have a version of Surfin USA that shows a different camera angle on a couple of shots than what is shown in the official released T.A.M.I. version.

Perhaps you mean the "Surfin' USA" performance on An American Band? But that was just recut with footage from other songs.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2010, 11:21:14 PM »

Perhaps you mean the "Surfin' USA" performance on An American Band? But that was just recut with footage from other songs.
No its not from American Band, and the differences are minor and subtle, but to my recollection it shows a slightly different camera angle (briefly) during the SUSA clip. This is not a complete TAMI show boot, but a clip of SUSA only in a privately made VHS compilation of rare '60's clips...which came to me from a well connected source many years ago...probably in the early '90's. I can recall A-B ing it against my standard full TAMI show copies which I've upgraded several times through the years. I've got to dig it out again and see if my long ago confirmation of this difference wasn't a hallucination.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx