gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 09:48:07 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 'Til I Die  (Read 3175 times)
DSamore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 15, 2009, 10:39:36 AM »

I thought of how cool the Gary Jules cover of "Mad World" was and was feeling a bit bummed. I embarked upon a recording of "'Til I Die" in the same vein.

Just some guitar and one vocal in one take.

Hope you enjoy

http://www.myspace.com/dylansamore
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 03:41:22 PM »

Definitely a departure from your other material. The jump up for the third line of each verse caught me off guard a little, too. While I definitely respect the "try it raw" spirit, I prefer your more full arrangements. (Made me feel good to hear your voice slipping in and out of the notes on occasion, though ... makes a guy feel better. Usually you're really spot on and it's annoying.  Wink  )

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
DSamore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 03:54:14 PM »

hahaha well thanks man. I took it down because I don't want legal issues  police

But I appreciate your commentary. Hope you're well.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 03:59:40 PM »

I actually just was thinking I might do the same thing, but on piano. A couple mics, one take. Then you can talk sh*t about mine.  Grin  But I'm lazy, so I might not. Better have a drink and think about it.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 05:02:32 PM »

Had to do it. You might hear the laundry running if you listen closely. Would've had it earlier but I accidentally exported just the voice first. So here is my take on it: 2 mics on piano, one on voice, one take. Reverb and compression on the voice, but otherwise it is what it is. If you don't like Paul Simon's Surfer Girl, don't even bother! I decided that I'd try to take advantage of the chords and lack of harmony voices by walking around on the melody some. OK, now I will shut up. Here is my response to your Til I Die: http://www.sendspace.com/file/vhqym3

DSamore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 12:18:23 PM »

Wow! Nice work! I LOVED paul simon's surfer girl rendition, too. This is nice, man. Really nice. Your voice sounds nice and light and spot on. Excellent work!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 03:39:09 PM »

Thank you.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 08:56:04 AM »

DSamore,
would you like your recording 8or another one) being part of our tribute? Please look and answer here: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,7740.60.html

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx