gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681351 Posts in 27635 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 04, 2024, 03:21:42 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New: Miserable Gray  (Read 2781 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 30, 2009, 05:43:15 PM »

Here is a song I wrote and recorded the basic track and vocals for about 21 months ago. Today I bit the bullet and tried to drum it. (I'm not a drummer, as you shall soon learn.) Also mixed. Enjoy "Miserable Gray." http://www.sendspace.com/file/j8ou4r

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 11:52:02 PM »

Very cool track Luther.  I dig the song a lot, I like the fact that it goes off in various directions with neat chord changes.  The drumming really wasn't that bad either; my only small complaint is the snare sound itself, but that's just my taste I guess.  Well done!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 06:29:45 AM »

No, the snare sound is truly terrible. I first mic'd the way I had done the other (better drum-sound) tunes, which were not drummed by me. Different kit, though, and more importantly, different drummer. So I messed around a little to try for a better sound, and failed. Then I gave up and just recorded the damn thing. Might try it again today, might not. But that sound is definitely not acceptable. I'm OK with rudimentary parts, and I'm OK with mediocre or not-spectacular sound ... but terrible sound is a stretch even for my lazy ass.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 12:11:21 PM »

Quite an interesting song and quite different from a lot of your other stuff vibe-wise. It sort of sounded a bit Beatle-ish to me, sort of White album era perhaps, it has the same sense of 'coldness' that I get from those songs and also a bit Elliott Smith-ish. i liked the fuzz guitar stabs that come into it. Backing vocals are nice too.

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 12:24:34 PM »

Thanks. It was one I entirely wrote on an autumn walk a few years ago, then recorded I believe the same day. Obviously, the drums and as I said, some mixing were new. I REALLY liked the fuzz guitar, too. That was my favorite part. But it's actually an acoustic: me just beating the hell out of it. (You can hear the percussive aspects of it, strings being really tugged off and then slapping back onto the neck.) I added the overdrive artificially afterward.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx