gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680742 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 03:01:53 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: About Making Music.  (Read 41765 times)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: February 22, 2013, 03:46:44 AM »

Feel you on that - haven't written a song this year, hence covers, scores, and dusting off old material. Gotta keep myself sharp for when the eureka moment appears.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 22, 2013, 10:52:27 AM »

A little fucking around on the guitar while "working from home" today and I had an idea. Hour and a half later, I've got the ideas down, anyway. Check the Luther thread.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 23, 2013, 01:54:50 PM »

Another boost of ambition today, which was nice. This was a tune I've had probably 85-90% of done since ... June? Quite a while, anyway. I just hadn't ever committed to what was there. Knowing I could tinker forever, I figured I may as well commit a rough outline of it to "tape." So I did--very hasty arrangement, a couple word changes here and there, and a once-through performance, more or less. I intend to work on it more fully soon. Check the Luther thread for a download, if you want it. But it definitely feels nice to get moving. I think the motivation was company coming in less than two hours: suddenly I wanted to do something unproductive for that goal, like "ooh, get it done FAST because you need to shower, prep dinner, etc."

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: February 23, 2013, 03:15:49 PM »

Trying to meld the songs I've written into a 12 or 13 song demo tape of sorts (if you can call my obscene brand of over-production a 'demo') isn't fun. I have a list a mile long of mistakes I need to correct , and that's just of mixes I've already done - I'm already toying with re-recording two of my songs in different styles (one due to a rushed arrangement that is nonsensical and cluttered, the other because it was just a demo).

Also, even if I did remove all my rubbish from them, I still don't reckon I'm the kind of artist 95% of labels would be interested in signing. I don't play live, I make elaborately produced pop songs because I hate being a sensitive dude with an acoustic guitar and can't really sing. It's a ridiculous situation. I feel quite anachronistic next to all this modern music I like, sometimes.

Gripe, gripe. Maybe I just need to dig myself.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 23, 2013, 03:24:23 PM »

I think labels are the last thing you should worry about. If you're not a touring act (or often even if you are) or a non-reality show winner, the best hope is to put your music out there and push it however you can. If it gets noticed, better support will follow. But the days of labels taking interest in artists up-front dead and dying.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 23, 2013, 04:44:45 PM »

I thought that too, but a mate of mine has been signed to Columbia and received a Brit award in the past two years, so it just makes me feel like I'm slacking/lacking the right stuff. I can't seem to shake it, really.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 08, 2013, 07:35:44 AM »

I've gotta write a song about this. And I can tell you the opening chords right now: Fsus4 --> F(b5).

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/10/magazine/the-professor-the-bikini-model-and-the-suitcase-full-of-trouble.html?hp&_r=0

(Edited because--WHOOPS--forgot to add the link the first time. D'oh.)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 09:50:11 AM by Luther » Logged

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 08, 2013, 09:29:24 AM »

Thems nice chords.

I have been laid up with a fucking dreadful cough/sore throat/fever thing all week. Inspiration and mood at all time low. Send help.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 08, 2013, 09:49:22 AM »

Last time I was sick, I did a (shitty) little song about being sick, Holed Up Inside. Though I actually did like the refrain, so maybe it wasn't a total waste.

I jotted down a few thoughts for that song based on the NYT story. Here is a quick recording, not even using real recording software, just QuickTime. Ended up using an A- (sus2) instead of that F(b5).

http://www.sendspace.com/file/eq9hvg
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 09:50:54 AM by Luther » Logged

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #209 on: March 08, 2013, 09:53:13 AM »

Keep in mind the stories of acts "getting signed" to a label and actually being successful are far, far less the norm than acts who got signed and ended up getting screwed over, or having their label indefinitely shelve or ignore their music for a myriad of reasons including finances, inner-circle politics, and a general wealth of slimeball tactics.

Getting signed means essentially the same thing today as walking into a bank and signing for a loan. You need to pay it back, and paying it back means you're lining someone else's pockets who has no talent and little or no interest in you beyond how much money your work can make for them.

Fortunately in 2013 the entire game has changed. On a weekly basis I read media releases from artists performing in my area who had been signed to a major label and *could not wait* to get out of the contract, for reasons listed above.

Again, the examples of success are out there but are far outnumbered by the artists who worked hard and poured a lot of soul and life into their music only to see it pissed away by the failings of a label.

I'd suggest looking into songwriting and perhaps getting your original music demoed and then shopped around. In the US at least, Nashville is the epicenter of that scene, for better or worse, but going that route on some level might be a better tact than looking to get signed by playing clubs or whatever.

If the vocals are a weakness, try to find a local singer to work with and cut your demos. If you do get what feels like a good demo recorded, find someone tuned into what kind of songs are being sold in today's market and ask if they'd lend a critical ear, and take in the criticisms and compliments to perhaps improve or enhance the song so it stands a better chance of getting picked up. If you hear a certain instrument which you can't play, ask around for someone who can play it and have them on the recording. And don't settle for close friends or associates out of loyalty if they cannot deliver the performance or skill you're looking for on your demo.

Aiming for a major label deal is fine as an option but not necessarily as much of a requirement in 2013 as it was 20 years ago, and ultimately if you do sign the papers with a major and get locked into a deal where either the label folds, your contract becomes a nightmare of touring and whatnot to pay back the loan they gave you, or if your person at the label takes another job, it's a bad scene. And that becomes the case much more often than the dreams of signing a deal and having everything work out.

Even the whole "American Idol" thing...after an initial burst of promotions, industry backing and ass-kissing, and getting a radio hit, where are the majority of those performers now? And we're talking about acts that got signed and entered into the full promotional machine of the record and media biz, not some random chap who got discovered on YouTube.

Seriously, look into shopping well-crafted song demos to the folks that need and use such things.

(Aside...if I hear another TV ad jingle that sounds like the White Stripes "We're Going To Be Friends", I'm going to be ill. However, think of those anonymous songwriters who did those knockoffs getting a pretty decent paycheck because an agency wanted the "feel" or sound of jack White's tune but didn't want to pay Jack White's price to use his tune. There seriously is a cottage industry for shopping soundalike recordings like that.)

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: March 08, 2013, 09:56:41 AM »

There seriously is a cottage industry for shopping soundalike recordings like that.

Grin

Well said, sir.

(the entire post, I mean)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 09:57:37 AM by seltaeb1012002 » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #211 on: March 08, 2013, 12:40:06 PM »

Hype- if you are concerned at all about the sound of the demos, maybe I can help...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 08, 2013, 12:43:51 PM »

This might show my ignorance to some of you more technically oriented or audiophile types, but frankly, that's ok with me. I'm sure there are others on my level, so...

As I've written before, I'm a bit of a ... not quite luddite, but timid simpleton, maybe? when it comes to the technical side of recording. I've never so much as taken a class, and even when a friend (who got his doctorate in composition with a focus in the use of the modern studio) used to try to educate me, frankly I glazed over and waited for him to tell me we were rolling. So my recordings are basically done with that level of "expertise." I f*** around a little with things I don't understand, but my true palette is pretty small.

Today I came across a podcast by a guy named Joe Gilder of Home Studio Corner called "Ask Joe" that I've really enjoyed. It's geared toward musicians with home studios, and (as the title hints) is just a series of questions and answers. I am on my third episode and find his perspective to be more musical than technical, and very conversational, not overly techie. If this sort of thing seems appealing to you, check it out!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/home-studio-corner/id358731231?mt=2

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: March 08, 2013, 04:10:45 PM »

Happy day: straightening up a bit (as my parents are to arrive shortly for a visit) and in a stack of papers on the lower shelf of my coffee table I found a couple sheets' worth of notes for a song I (partly) wrote about three and a half years ago. I never did finish it and still definitely have to work it out lyrically (not to mention arrange it), but I always loved the piano part and even was trying to recall it from memory recently--and failing miserably.

So hopefully I'll pay it some attention soon and finish it off.

It's yet another of what is looking like a large stack of songs needing drums, so I guess I need to start that whole process, too. Calling all drummers looking for a few hundred bucks...

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: March 09, 2013, 05:48:04 AM »

Oh my god, that link. Do you mind if I steal it to write? The headline is a song in and of itself.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: March 09, 2013, 05:59:50 AM »

Oh my god, that link. Do you mind if I steal it to write? The headline is a song in and of itself.

Isn't it great!? I'm beginning to think NYT weekend magazine is going to be my go-to inspiration, as a few months ago I got a song from there, too (Ikaria).

And obviously, if you get a song idea from it--write the song!

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: March 13, 2013, 09:08:31 AM »

I am the King of Fragments. Bow before me!

OK, you don't have to. But yet again I was working on some new ideas but while the first bit came immediately--like within about 2 minutes--things stalled for the past hour or so and I just keep repeating this again and again and again and again... This is my 15 seconds' worth: http://www.sendspace.com/file/9tpt0y

Somebody out there, write the rest of the fucking song!

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: March 14, 2013, 12:54:42 PM »

I finally wrote a fucking song this year!

I just demoed it, but you can't hear it as my head is full of cold and my voice sounds like ass. Although hopefully the lack of cigarettes due to aforementioned illness will do my voice favours, as I hear a kinda R&B vibe and want to push my voice a bit on it. Just have to wait...
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 01:05:03 PM by hypehat » Logged

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #218 on: March 14, 2013, 01:34:29 PM »

Looking forward to it!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: March 16, 2013, 10:42:04 AM »

I really shouldn't go into town when in restless mood. Went in to buy some more guitar strings. Came back with a TWELVE STRING GUITAR.

Although it is the best thing ever and it didn't cost that much really (oh god) and I am in love.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: March 16, 2013, 10:47:41 AM »

Ha! I think we all can relate, though, to some extent or another.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: March 25, 2013, 08:45:22 AM »

Been writing! Yay!

Of course, not on the twelve string guitar (I haven't even recorded that yet) but using apps on my phone, creating loops and things. Got two things, both quite different - one an orchestral/harmony thing, the other electronica (although I'll probably throw tonnes of harmonies on it anyway to disguise the fact there isn't much of a tune underneath and that I just like the sounds I'm making). But yes, my creativity seems to have returned!

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: March 25, 2013, 04:24:43 PM »

Very glad to hear it. Looking forward to whatever you work up.

I'm still in my recent phase of really, really fast ideas that I love, but then a brick wall in any attempts to finish them up.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 16, 2014, 05:53:11 PM »

i haven't done f*** in a while

Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #224 on: October 19, 2014, 09:02:46 PM »

i haven't done f*** in a while

I'm with you captain.  I've gone back and listened to around 900-1000 old voice notes from two or three past phones, saved the 400 or so that seem to have even a shred of potential, and now I'm going back through them to see what I can scrape up.  I've gotten one song out of it so far but there are a few more.  As for new material...not much.

If you find a way to break through let me know, though I suppose it's different for each person and each situation.

EoL

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx