gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681649 Posts in 27652 Topics by 4085 Members - Latest Member: RZLSommer June 25, 2024, 06:19:09 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: History of Mike's reputation  (Read 77645 times)
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2009, 10:25:09 AM »

To state that it was Leaf or Priore that initiated the anti-Mike sentiment is revisionist. Those authors are only a reflection of something that existed within BB's fandom and rock fandom since the mid '60's. IT wasn't necessarily dominant, and would depend on one's own frame of reference but i can remember a lot of ridicule thrown Mike's way for his lack of hair, his voice, and his stage manner beginning around 1965/66. You'll also find instances in reviews of the band in this era where Mike is singled out as annoying because of the silly between song banter. (Ian Rusten please comment here if you read this as i know you have mined some of these cases). Without going into whether this is warranted criticism or not, Mike was undoubtedly unpopular with a segment of the BB's audience before anyone had ever heard of David Leaf. This solidified into aesthetic criticism in the early '70's, mainly among hardcore Wilson aficionados. Even with the panchos, beard, long hair in the back, and robes...Mike seemed like he was "acting" the part of a hippy to many people. This isn't my opinion I'm stating, but anecdotal remembrances from the dozen or so times Mike was mentioned to me by someone back then. Put it this way, i never heard anyone say, hey that BB's frontman is the coolest guy in the band. Some of us dug his voice on those early records, some of us respected his bass voice too...but there was always some kind of image problem with Mike, and a lot of it centered around a shared perception that he was a phony or a straight. Personally, I gained a new respect for Mike in '75. He seemed to take the frontman thing to a new level, and he was fun to watch. No one else in the band could come close to doing what he did. But again, still pre-Leaf there were a lot of people that described him negatively, even as Mike hit his frontman stride, they ridiculed Mike while still liking the BB's. As SJS stated most concert goers like and appreciate what Mike does, but there has always been a segment that looks at him as the thing that makes the BB's uncool, or hard to stomach. I'm sure that segment doesn't go to many BB's shows now since Mike is the current BB's. Those fans were relieved they had a place to go when Brian started touring...completely ignoring that Brian is far more embarrassing than Mike ever was. We forgive him because he's a genius with a full head of hair.  Back to Leaf...people don't realize that Leaf's book was not perceived or received as a pro-Wilson book. Its an anti-Beach Boys book. It gives Brian all the credit, inflates the role of the Wrecking Crew, diminishes not only Mike, but Carl, Dennis Al and the others. And solidifies the conventional wisdom that the Beach Boys weren't really a good band and that Brian "replaced" them on record. Two of the Wilson brothers hated the book...probably at least as much as Mike did. I will agree that Leaf turned the vilification of Mike into a mini-franchise. Beautiful Dreamer is a good example. Dave Marks was interviewed for the film, he was only asked questions that assumed Mike in a negative light and he continued to correct Leaf, that he was mistaken in his perceptions of Mike. Of course none of his interview was used in the film. In my opinion the anti-Mike vein has been around since Pet Sounds, and probably earlier...it became a widely expressed thing in the mid '70's, and an epidemic in the '90's. I think the pendulum has swung back some in recent years...still has a ways to go i think. BTW...in Billy Hinsche's new '74 tour film Mike comes off as the least sympathetic Beach Boy IMO...Carl and Dennis are clearly engaged with the backing musicians and very affable and accessible, Al is Al-ish, but Mike seems surly, detached, even contemptuous...again this is my perception of how he comes off in the film. In my personal encounters with Mike he has been polite, courteous, slightly guarded, but when he lets his guard down he is very fun to be around...and he's funny and smart. I think he's a private guy, and that he is dealing with inner issues similar to Brian, Dennis and Carl, but he's found a way to keep himself together, and part of that is building a wall around himself.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2009, 10:31:02 AM »

We forgive [Brian] because he's a genius with a full head of hair..
With all due respect to your books and many other posts, this is my favorite thing you've ever written, Jon. Love it.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2009, 11:02:18 AM »

Jon's post sums it up the best for me---Mike's neither the devil nor the angel. Middle ground person.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2009, 11:21:25 AM »

AND just one more thing. The last law suit Mike had against Brian did a lot to damage his reception with me.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2009, 11:27:14 AM »

Ditto.

I could at least understand the other suits filed by Mike -- emotions surrounding the issues notwithstanding -- but the BWPS fracas was appalling.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2009, 12:30:50 PM »

Amy, I agree that Mike could/could've been more gracious with some of his comments, couldn't we all. But, I view it as Mike just trying to give an honest answer to a legitimate question posed to him. I mean, some interviewer asked him the question(s) and deserved an honest answer.

If somebody asked Mike about the drugs that plagued the group, well, Brian and Dennis's names are gonna come up. The only alternative would be for Mike to refuse to answer, or, as you mentioned, be a little less direct. As far as BWPS, I have a feeling Mike isn't impressed by it, so, again, why be dishonest and falsely praise it. Same with Brian's touring. I have mentioned several times on this board (and got hammered for it) that Brian's performance in concert is overrated, with his band being the real stars. Maybe Mike feels the same way.

Yes, Mike can come off as arrogant. But at least he's honest, which is more than I can say for our beloved Brian - and sometimes Al and Bruce (read some of the insanity that comes out of them). I find Mike's honesty refreshing, actually.

Yes, but you can be honest and diplomatic. I don't expect Mike to say, "Brian's just on fire in those solo concerts of his," but he could say, "Brian is now touring, something that has always been really hard for him, and that's great for him. That must be difficult, and it's great that he can go out and play his music and see Beach Boys fans." Or, in answer to How do you feel about BWPS, he might say, "You know, I think it would have been better if he had finished it with the Beach Boys, but he didn't. Still, it's good that the music got out there, because it's good music and it's no use keeping it on a shelf." Okay, so maybe that's not Mike's style, but if he wants Brian's people to warm up to him -- and the public to warm up to him-- that would be a start.
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2009, 02:37:36 PM »

Really a series of events beginning in 1969. Many Brian supporters relate to Brian because they too have experimented in drug use, even if it's a matter of just smoking a joint. Mike's very outspoken about that. Regardless, Brian was willing to emotionally let it all hang out in the mid 1960s, and that was unusual for anyone in popular music in those days. That alone is why Pet Sounds is revered by so many of Brian's musical peers. And that has nothing to do with drugs.

Drug use aside, everyone believes that Mike makes it up as he goes along and purposely revises history to fit his take on events. The only truth to that is, Mike shares his thoughts on his views from his perspective.

If there's anyone who really wants to dig deeper into this subject, and take up an entire month out of their life trying to explain the dynamics of the relationship between Brian and Mike -- as well as the other band members -- I say go for it.

Personally, I think Mike is one of the best frontmen in the music business. That, of course, is another subject all together.
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2009, 02:51:48 PM »

Well-written Jon.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2009, 03:06:03 PM »

When Magic Transistor radio raised the question in his initial post about "hostility" toward Mike Love, I didn't think he was referring to things like Mike's receding hairline, his nasal tone, or his stage attire as things that turned people against Mike. Or, maybe he was. I thought it had to do with Mike's actions and spoken words.

But, if you look at the superficial things - hair style, clothing, and even tone of voice -  I think Mike handled those things quite well. As early as The Beach Boys' Concert, Mike was making jokes ABOUT HIMSELF with comments about attending "hair school". Then, there were those studio exercises like "Our Favorite Recording Sessions" and "Cassius Love Vs. Sonny Wilson" where Mike ALLOWS his vocal style to be made fun of. And, finally, there's the wardrobe. A person has to be secure with himself to wear bed sheets, woolen panchos, overalls with suspenders, turbans, shiny golden vests, Sammy Davis Jr.-like jewelry, and gaudy Hawaiian shirts.

And that's what's ironic. People on this board and other places refer to Mike as insecure, phony, and "acting". I don't know, I think he was just being true to himself, going through phases, and not really caring what everybody thought. If he did care what people thought, he wouldn't have dressed that way.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2009, 03:28:31 PM »

As early as The Beach Boys' Concert, Mike was making jokes ABOUT HIMSELF with comments about attending "hair school".
Again, this kind of thing boils down to perception. My friends and I always thought Mike was making fun of Dennis with that hair school crack, because at that point Dennis was the only one in the band with Beatles style hair...and the only one who didn't graduate from high school. I took it as Mike teasing that some people pay more attention to their hair than their normal education...which was probably true about Dennis.
KokoMoses
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2009, 03:36:03 PM »

Couldn't agree more with The Sheriff

Mike's such an easy target being a prematurely balding very very white completely non rock n roll rock star! In a band full of dorks (Dennis being the obvious exception) he was simply the only dork who showed any real self confidence which has always been a big no no with any variation of "too cool for school" hipster! I mean, all these superficial swipes at Mike that Jon mentioned that go way back just reek too much of "Ah, so I'm way cooler than the lead singer of a famous rock band, so I can go pat myself on the back" merda!

Making fun of the guy's hairline, dance moves, and (not-unintentionally) unfunny stage banter is one thing, but also refusing to grant him any credit for all his valuable contributions to everyone's favorite band, is plain out mean! Using the fact that such swipes are longstanding is no excuse to just further promote such mean spirited myth making. I know Jon was just pointing out that Priore and Leaf can't take all the "credit" .... which is absolutely true.... but they could have certainly thought about this before publicly lending credence to such fun making....
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 03:36:57 PM by erikdavid5000 » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2009, 03:49:24 PM »

Mike is the one person in the band who could truly say: "I'm not a genius, I'm just a hard-working guy." Everyone else, to a lesser or greater extent, betrayed their talent or slacked off (or, in Brian's case, became incapable of functioning on either level). You can never accuse Mike of that. It is possible, as many here have concluded, to look at the group's history and think Mike has been done a great disservice.

I don't personally embrace that viewpoint, but it is certainly possible and defensible to think so. And Mike has done much in the last five years or so to ensure a positive legacy for himself and the touring group.
KokoMoses
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2009, 03:49:33 PM »

On a lighter note:

check out this piece of prime Beach Boys Merch:

http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/the-beach-boys/apparel/mens-vintage-jacket/ZZZ003465.html

A very very Mike item of clothing and at a very very Mike-like $895

$895? Kinda like a mini-lawsuit!

See, I can jab at Mike like the best of em!  Evil
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2009, 03:59:35 PM »

My friends and I always thought Mike was making fun of Dennis with that hair school crack, because at that point Dennis was the only one in the band with Beatles style hair...and the only one who didn't graduate from high school.

You got the wrong Beach Boy. It was Dennis's brother, Brian, who went on record as saying that Dennis was "too stupid to learn". Cheesy
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2009, 04:04:22 PM »

Mike is the one person in the band who could truly say: "I'm not a genius, I'm just a hard-working guy." Everyone else, to a lesser or greater extent, betrayed their talent or slacked off
I don't know about that. I think Carl, Al, and Bruce pretty much did what they could do. None were geniuses, and all worked hard to do what they did without leaving a lot on the table.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2009, 04:05:09 PM »

I guess if we are looking for something to complain about someone, we will always find something.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2009, 04:08:40 PM »

I respect Mike a lot, he wrote some amazing songs, sang some great vocals.

But you just have to admit that some decisions he's made in the past have been extremely...eh unwise.

I'm sure Mike regrets them. Donut he say before cotton fields at Knebworth "Blame Al for this song", like come on.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2009, 04:17:12 PM »

Donut he say before cotton fields at Knebworth "Blame Al for this song", like come on.

Mike wasn't blaming Al FOR the song, but for wanting TO PERFORM it at that particular time. Of all the great songs in The Beach Boys' catalogue, how many fans in the audience that night were thinking, "Gee, I hope they play "Cottonfields".
Yeah, yeah, I know it charted in England....
Jason
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2009, 04:18:13 PM »

How the f*** is his little Cotton Fields intro at Knebworth a "like come on" moment?
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2009, 04:31:22 PM »

I still have a BBFUN news letter for the tour and without dragging it out for a direct quote, the band was surprised to hear that their last song to chart in Europe prior to Lady Linda, had been 'Cotton fields' so the decision had been made, at the insistence from Al perhaps, to do a short version of it in concert with little rehearsal. That is my take on Mikes comment. Light hearted only.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 04:33:28 PM by TheOther Anonymous » Logged
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2009, 04:41:52 PM »

One thing I'll add in a meek, humble voice is that most of the time w/Brian he's so honest it hurts, especially today. Mike is honest too, and usually Dennis didn't BS and went straight to the point.

Jason
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2009, 05:12:27 PM »

most of the time w/Brian he's so honest it hurts, especially today

Does this compute? Are these words really being put together in a thought? The sheer amount of bullshit in that statement most likely would send crappy computers into a blue screen of death and core dump!

Brian is many things, but "so honest it hurts" is NOT one of them.
mtaber
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2009, 05:45:14 PM »

The voices in Mike's head are different from those in Brian's... Mike's voices say "go ahead, SUE HIS ASS" and "OF COURSE you wrote that song"...
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2009, 05:48:08 PM »

I'm sure Mike regrets them. Donut he say before cotton fields at Knebworth "Blame Al for this song", like come on.
I think that was really, really obviously just joking around, and Al obviously knew it too, going into his little "that's post office box..." thing. Joke. If Mike didn't complain when the band did songs like Surf's Up live, I don't think it was ever going to be Cottonfields that pushed him over the edge.

TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2009, 05:58:11 PM »

most of the time w/Brian he's so honest it hurts, especially today

Does this compute? Are these words really being put together in a thought? The sheer amount of bullmerda in that statement most likely would send crappy computers into a blue screen of death and core dump!

Brian is many things, but "so honest it hurts" is NOT one of them.
Oh yes, he may BS's some of the time, but he's brutally honest in a majority of his statements, in my estimation.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 18 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx