gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:38:27 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Version of My Diane  (Read 3815 times)
KokoMoses
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: December 28, 2009, 02:21:50 PM »

In honor of Dennis, I recorded a version of My Diane!

I tried not to imitate Dennis with my vocals, but it was hard!!!

I know it's a Brian song, but I attribute it's impact, in a large part, to Dennis!

http://www.myspace.com/httpwwwmyspaceerik

« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 02:24:54 PM by erikdavid5000 » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 02:40:22 PM »

Nice one. You take another approach to it than the original. I just think the vocals should be louder.

Maybe another recording for the SmileySmiler tribute ? If that one ever gets finished....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 02:43:42 PM »

Maybe another recording for the SmileySmiler tribute ? If that one ever gets finished....
Sure to sell a million units...in January!

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 03:42:27 PM »

I enjoyed this. And I disagree about the vocals: I love that they are semi-buried behind that gloriously dead-sounding couple of guitars. To be honest--and let's be just that, I'm not much of a Dennis fan, which might explain this--I prefer this to the original. Yes. Fact. And now it's been said.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 10:06:23 PM »

I prefer this to the original.

Hey man, Denny said that he's sorry about that time he put laxatives in your milk shake that time you were out on a double date with those hot blonds. He thought it would be funny. He didn't think you'd hate him forever because of it. Just let it go.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 11:34:19 PM »

I'd apologize for my opinion and go along with prevailing ones if that weren't a stupid thing to do. And you're not funny. Make music, write about music ... do something productive.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 10:49:10 AM »

You're right, I must doing nothing productive because I made a joke that dared to challenge one of your precious opinion. You are a very rude person who needs to take a long look in the mirror.
KokoMoses
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 12:48:47 PM »

Hey, let's all be friends here and get along and not go around acting like we're..... uh,... The Beach Boys!!!

Luther has every right to not be a Dennis fan! I, for one, am a massive massive Dennis fan, but I'm also a massive massive Mike fan! So, I can certainly understand my opinions not being agreed with across the board!

Luther, those gloriously dead sounding guitars are courtesy of an old Washburn with a bent as merda neck. Making a bar chord takes a ridiculous amount of effort. I really need to smash the thing against the wall and leave it for scrap, but I just...... can't! And I like it's dead dead sound and the way it records. It's almost more of a rhythm insturment because you get the pick against the strings and the stroking of the chords more than you get the actual notes! .... If I was a better guitarist, I'd be able to make something of it!

For my money, I like Mike's "On And On" better than the ABBA original, so let's just live and let live!

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 12:58:34 PM »

And I like it's dead dead sound and the way it records. It's almost more of a rhythm insturment because you get the pick against the strings and the stroking of the chords more than you get the actual notes!
Exactly what I was hearing. LOVE it.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 01:02:52 PM »

You're right, I must doing nothing productive because I made a joke that dared to challenge one of your precious opinion. You are a very rude person who needs to take a long look in the mirror.
You didn't challenge my opinion, you made fun of me for it. And that's what I'd call rude. And I a sorry, erikdavid5000, for taking the thread into this territory. I really love the recording.

KokoMoses
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2009, 01:08:25 PM »

Apology unneccesary!

It's not all bad though, being accused of being out on a double date with a couple of hot blonds!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2010, 05:01:46 AM »

What is the chord structure of My Diane? It seems to start out rather simply, but then this gorgeous melancholy 'fall' occurs...

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2010, 07:55:35 AM »

I won't swear to this, since I just sat down at the piano to work out the basics quickly. Since ed5 just recorded it, he may have recently spent more time with it. But i think the chords are along these lines.

Verse:

C#-7 ' ' ' / A ' ' ' / E/B ' G#-7 ' / F#-7 ' ' '   (2nd time F# goes to B in bass)
Now that I...

Refrain:
E ' A ' / B7 ' E '     (First beat of the A chord has a suspension on vox melody , but rather than 4-3 of the chord, it is #4-3, D#-C#)
Everything is wrong...

C#-7 ' F#7 ' / C#-7 ' F#7 ' / F#-7/B ' ' ' / ' ' ' '
Mem'ries haunt me...

Bridge:
Eadd6 ' C#-7 ' / E-7 ' A '
I love you...

Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2010, 02:28:59 PM »

Another alternative is to be found at surfermoon.com. Click on 'chords' and scroll down to the MIU Album. (Just posting this in case someone out there haven't found that site.)

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
KokoMoses
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2010, 01:39:30 PM »

Luther, I'm going to have to consult you next time I attempt a cover!

Got them "Winds Of Change" chords handy?  Razz
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2010, 03:40:35 PM »

Luther, I'm going to have to consult you next time I attempt a cover!

Got them "Winds Of Change" chords handy?  Razz
I'm afraid that helping with that would make me an accessory to a crime against humanity; I don't want to waste away in a drafty ol' cell in the Hague and follow in the footsteps of Mr. Milosevic.

matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2010, 01:05:12 PM »

It's a good cover (the other cover of ths I know is on the Caroline Now album by Saint Etienne) and it translates well to the guitar as it's a great Brian sequence. I like the original vocal as Dennis does the 'pain' well and that comes across here too very well.

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2010, 08:50:41 AM »

Sure to sell a million units...in January!

Grin Grin Grin   That would be a fantastic title for the project.

@KokoMoses:

Would you like your recording being part of our tribute? Please look and answer here: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,7740.60.html

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx