gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:22:52 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Record cleaning machines  (Read 4225 times)
NimrodsSon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 17, 2006, 08:03:28 AM »

After purchasing a record that had been cleaned through a VPI machine (I don't know which model it was) and hearing how amazing it sounds, I am convinced that I HAVE to get some kind of vaccum cleaning machine. I don't have the money right now, but I'd like to start saving up, and I was wondering if some of the experts over here could give their opinions on which machine is the best to get. I've been looking at a few things on google, and I've seen a lot of good reviews on the VPI 16.5 machine, which seems to be relatively cheap (about $500). I've also read several positive comments about the Nitty Gritty machines, which aeem to be a little cheaper in general. Of course, I know there are machines that are far more expensive, but I'd like to stay around this pricerange. Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions? Also, is this the type of thing that you would want to get new, or would it be just as well to get a used one on ebay and save about $100-200?
L Ransford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 08:26:59 AM »

We use the Nitty Gritty model 1.0 and Record Master at the store I work at. I recommend the 1.0. It works great and requires very little maintenance and is also the cheapest of all the Nitty Gritty models. (They all basically do the exact same thing)
NimrodsSon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 10:12:14 AM »

That's a much better price! How do you think it compares to the vpi models? Also, what kind of fluid do you (or anyone else) recommend using? The stuff that comes with the machine or something like Disc Doctor?
Chris D.
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 10:14:46 AM »

Can anyone recommend any good brushes?
L Ransford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2006, 11:10:04 AM »

I've never  used the VPI, so I would not be able to compare.
You can use Nitty Gritty's solution (there is one for 78's and one for regular vinyl). We use our own solution in the machine. I don't know what ingredients are in the Disc Doctor solution but it could probably be used also.
Can anyone recommend any good brushes?

I've always used the D4 brush by Discwasher. Nitty Gritty makes a good carbon fiber brush too.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2006, 12:31:41 PM by L Ransford » Logged
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2006, 11:34:49 AM »

I have a Ronco Record cleaner, still sealed from the 70's.

As advertised on The Beach Boys 20 Super Hits.

Joel5001
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2006, 12:06:41 PM »

That was not only the first Beach Boys record I ever owned, but the first record I ever owned, period.

"First of all, let's get one thing straight: Crack is cheap. I make too much money to ever smoke crack." - Whitney Houston
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2006, 12:35:49 PM »

Me too!

I followed it up with Endless Summer and then traded my Sgt. Pepper 8-track with my brother for the LP.

I was a hip little 4 year old, eh?
monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2006, 02:46:58 PM »

I have a Ronco Record cleaner, still sealed from the 70's.

Great, Bub! Thanks a lot! I'll invent the time machine, go back to 1977, order the Ronco Record Cleaner, Mr. Microphone, The Pocket Fisherman, The Decor-Egger, some Ginsu's, a rock polisher, clackers, a glass bottle cutter, and a pet rock!
We appreciate your purchasing hints!
Thanks again,
Sincerely, my nutsack!

You have a sealed one? Did you buy a Ronco shring-wrap machine as well? Better used for preserving & freezing food!
 :D
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx