gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 05:14:55 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys an american family  (Read 18196 times)
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 10, 2008, 11:20:06 AM »

This is a horrible movie, so many inaccuracies, so many people from the BBs story left out.

Random useless factoids:

Kevin Dunn, who played Murry, and Kurt Fuller, who played Milt Love, were both on Ghostbusters 2. Dunn was a TV show host and Fuller was the assistant mayor of NY. Dunn was also on an episode of Seinfeld (the 2nd episode, actually, entitled "Male Unbonding) as a guy that Jerry didn't want to be friends with anymore. I've seen Fuller in 8 million different movies. He was the principal on The New Guy, and he played Karl Rove on the sitcom That's My Bush.

And is it just me, or does the guy who plays the Lovester look an awful lot like both Neil Patrick Harris (Doogie Howser) and the guy who played Francis on Malcolm in the Middle?

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 10, 2008, 06:53:18 PM »

Did anyone else notice that when Brian is playing "In My Room" on the piano, not only is it strange that they have 60-something yr. old Brian singing the part, but they dubbed someone else singing the falsetto part "tell my secrets to."  It's like rough old man Brian voice and then all of a sudden young, clear falsetto.  LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZd4WldDz2g

2:05

That whole scene was always jarring for me...old Brian's voice definitely doesn't work there.  I actually always thought that he just nailed that falsetto part, but now that I listen to it again I see what you mean.  It would have probably been better to just have a young singer do the whole thing.  It's not as if old Brian sounds much like young Brian anyways.  A young voice to go along with seeing a young Brian play would have made a lot more sense.
WWDWD?
Smiley Smile Associate

What would Dennis Wilson do?

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 24, 2008, 11:11:56 PM »

Things that stood out to me...

- mike love's moustache came unglued during one scene where he argues with one of his wives... he sneakily pushes it back on
- john stamos on drums (with pony tale and fake moustache possibly) in the final scene
- bruce johnston being played by either a ken doll or a robot ... plus his mental hand clapping in the final scene
- let the wind blow was freaking awesome
- brian's mentalness was way over the top but hilarious (in that it was so comically bad  a had to laugh)
- they guy who played dennis, nick stabile, looked quite a lot like a young dennis
- mike love and murry were great look-alikes too
- when is aired here in Australia VDP's character had a different name, which threw me
- Al was insignificant
- Brian had a good drawl when speaking (Calling Marilyn "Merr-eh-lnnn")

There were lots of inaccuracies but I had fun watching the movie. You can't expect these Telemovies to be great, you have to embrace the cheesiness of it all.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: August 25, 2008, 12:39:28 AM »

- when is aired here in Australia VDP's character had a different name, which threw me

Not just in Oz - after the initial broadcast, Van Dyke got them to change the name of his caricature to "Samuel". A lot of what he says are direct genuine quotes, but mostly from the mid-70s.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
WWDWD?
Smiley Smile Associate

What would Dennis Wilson do?

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 25, 2008, 12:59:46 AM »

Yeah, I noticed a lot of the dialogue was lifted from direct quotes that I have either read in books or heard in actual interviews.

Also I read somewhere (I think on this board) about a Dennis Wilson movie that was in brief discussion stages a few years back that may have featured  John Corbett as Dennis. Ever since watching the series The Visitor (97/98) that starred . Corbett I thought that he would be the perfect choice to play Dennis Wilson (circa 1976-1983). He looks so much like him and his mannerisms are a lot like Dennis'.

I would like to see a Dennis film that maybe starts around 1976. The band is well in to their 15 Big Ones period, the musical exploration of the early 70s is dead, Dennis's songs don't really fit in with the new-old sound so he finally goes solo. All the while charting his downward spiral. Or maybe it could start during the Bambu sessions... anyways I'm getting carried away.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 01:01:44 AM by dylz » Logged
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 25, 2008, 09:47:31 AM »

John Corbett as Dennis.  I couldn't agree more!  Perhaps he could do a remake of Two Lane Blacktop.  This time with dialogue.  Jack White could play JT's part  LOL
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx