gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 09:19:07 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys an american family  (Read 18155 times)
cta
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2006, 07:15:56 PM »

Spector was an ass in the movie?  Can't imagine why since he's been known to be a complete jerk.   Probably the most accurate part in the movie.   Hey, that doesn't mean I don't love Spector's work. 

Feel the same way about Matthew Sweet - great master of melodies and writes nice crunchy hooky ditties, but total jerk overall.

Feh.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2006, 08:50:49 PM »

yeah, i know, it was accurate, i wished they coulda got into something bigger, like playing dont hurt my little sister sessions or wanting to do dont worry baby for the ronnets

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
DUMB ANGEL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2006, 11:58:29 AM »

Can anyone please tell me the name of the song The Honeys were singing when brian was accompaning them on the piano?
runalot
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2006, 12:02:43 PM »

I bought some DVD copy off ebay a I bought some DVD copy off ebay a year ago. 

PM me, if you want details.

The things she does to me when she makes love to me...
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2006, 02:53:32 PM »

it was He's a Doll, the most well-known honeys' song

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2006, 03:52:17 PM »

it was He's a Doll, the most well-known honeys' song

I love how the drums thunder in after the guitar riff.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Peter Ames Carlin
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2006, 05:18:23 PM »

Quick detail about the Stamos film, from 2000. The notorious. The controversial. The angrifying.

The Van Dyke Parks character ultimately had a name that wasn't VDP. I seem to recall that it involved "Sam." But is this correct? And, for a spot in the bonus round, can anyone remember what (if any) last name he might have had?

Many thanks....
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2006, 05:45:53 PM »

Check the 4 page thread about the film below. I believe it's there.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2006, 09:54:14 PM »

question about percussion...it seems there's this wierd "crunching" sound in part of it...anyone know what i'm describring?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Chris D.
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2006, 10:08:08 PM »

Nobody wants to see Ben Affleck as Brian Wilson anytime soon.

Oh, dude, come on.  The Affleck of Mallrats would be perfect.  "I'm gonna f*** you up beyond repair."

Chris D.
« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2006, 10:08:35 PM »

question about percussion...it seems there's this wierd "crunching" sound in part of it...anyone know what i'm describring?

Celery, dude.  You're thinking of "Vegetables."
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2006, 12:57:09 AM »

The same crunching sound that's in Be My Baby?

Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 04, 2006, 09:02:47 PM »

I found a VHS of the original broadcast in a box not two weeks ago.  I don't think I could stomach it again.  But I've slept a little less well lately just knowing it's in the room. Sometimes in the middle of the night I suddenly turn the lights on and I swear it's moved a little closer.

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure I recall capturing Mike's post-broadcast interview on local (L.A.) news that night.  It might be worth slogging through fast-forward just to report on that.

When "Summer Dreams" aired, they had the late Karen Lamm on for the post-game wrap-up.

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2006, 09:03:46 PM »

Sometimes in the middle of the night I suddenly turn the lights on and I swear it's moved a little closer.

Grin

Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 04, 2006, 09:15:47 PM »

And there he is.  Jeez, Ian, I was beginning to think you were givin' me the high-hat.  Hadn't heard from you in a while!

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 04, 2006, 09:26:36 PM »

Naw, man. Just don't hang in the BB forum too much any more! Missed your friendship, great insights and the greatest wit on the board.
Yes, ladies, he's single.

Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 04, 2006, 09:34:22 PM »

Well, shoot me an e-mail some time.  One of these days I'll get back out to L.A. and we'll trash the place.  Just don't tell Bruce I'm in town.  Not looking for another pistol-whipping.

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 04, 2006, 09:42:27 PM »

You got it, my man! (see avatar)

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2006, 06:03:15 PM »

question about the phil spector scene, what song is being played in the background? i figure it's a generic form of be my baby to sound like the wall of sound. Who played it? assuming not the fake Wrecking Crew

~post of the century~
-Mikie

carlydenise2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2006, 06:50:30 PM »

this movie really turned me on to the BB, i liked it. The smile parts were funny. The guy who played VDP is great...i think he's on dazed and confused.
about summer dreams, what Dennis songs did they use?

I love Dazed and Confused, which character did the VDP dude play on that movie?  I don't remember him.  I don't think they used any Dennis songs on SD, but the one song that "dennis" was playing at Karen's house was so pretty, I don't think it was a Dennis song, but a Bruce Greenwood song.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 05, 2006, 06:54:37 PM »

this movie really turned me on to the BB, i liked it. The smile parts were funny. The guy who played VDP is great...i think he's on dazed and confused.
about summer dreams, what Dennis songs did they use?

I love Dazed and Confused, which character did the VDP dude play on that movie?  I don't remember him.  I don't think they used any Dennis songs on SD, but the one song that "dennis" was playing at Karen's house was so pretty, I don't think it was a Dennis song, but a Bruce Greenwood song.

Anthony Rapp is the actor theyre talkin about, check out his IMDB here: http://imdb.com/name/nm0710829/ .

I read somewhere that it is infact a Bruce Greenwood song that he plays in that scene at Karen's house. I think theres an mp3 of it on the official Bruce Greenwood site.  Pirate

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
carlydenise2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 05, 2006, 07:05:47 PM »

oooh yeah, anthony rapp was Tony on Dazed and Confused.  Afro
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 05, 2006, 07:39:55 PM »

what song is brian playing on the piano after they're 'overdubbing' add some music to your day? it sounds kinda like the end of the piano demo of H&V/im in great shape/barnyard..
also, what's everyone think of that scene where brian just goes off playing the shortenin' bread riff...I assume it was the real brian who recorded it like he did with In my Room/I get around/He's a Doll/perhaps the With me Tonite riff? You think that was Mike's idea to add that into the movie (shortenin scene)? I wonder what he said to brian when he asked to record it for them...."say brian, can you record that little riff you incoporated into a bunch of songs?" wierd

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: July 09, 2008, 04:03:15 AM »

sorry to bring up bad memories but what an absolute piece of crap Mike propaganda this tv show is. just watched it on youtube and apart from the early parts its really dreadful. Makes me sad that stuff like this exists.

variable2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 09, 2008, 05:31:14 AM »

Did anyone else notice that when Brian is playing "In My Room" on the piano, not only is it strange that they have 60-something yr. old Brian singing the part, but they dubbed someone else singing the falsetto part "tell my secrets to."  It's like rough old man Brian voice and then all of a sudden young, clear falsetto.  LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZd4WldDz2g

2:05
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx