gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680783 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 10:18:46 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys an american family  (Read 18194 times)
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2006, 10:45:26 AM »

How much, if any, BB involvement was there on this film?  I notice that Alan Boyd (director of Endless Harmony) is listed as a co-producer and John Stamos as an executive producer.  It's interesting because it's certainly doesn't present a very flattering portrait of Brian Wilson.  From the start he's shown as an ineffectual, if gifted, nerd.  During the making of PS and Smile he's shown as drug-addled and virtually insane.  Mike Love meanwhile is shown as the good guy keeping everything together.  But funnily enough, for those who believe Mike loved PS and Smile all along, this is not the line pursued here.  Mike is actually shown dissing PS as 'Brian's ego music' and Smile is virtually written off as the crazed doodlings of a babbling imbecile.  Doesn't seem to be the ML line nowadays.

I'd like to know from someone involved what was what.  I'm guessing the writer and director are responsible for whatever was on the screen.  I'd like to know what control by which BB was eyewitnessed, which had any financial or fiduciary interest; I'm guessing there was not much control [and no financial connection] by any.

I've heard BB related lawyers were attempting to/did have influence but whose lawyers if so? Individual's lawyers or BRI lawyers, there always seems to be confusion about which is which.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Jason
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2006, 12:08:01 PM »

and as much as I like Bruce Greenwood, he did a terrible job playing Dennis.

Wow, I thought he did Dennis pretty well, except for the lack of a groan in his later years.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2006, 12:43:41 PM »

and as much as I like Bruce Greenwood, he did a terrible job playing Dennis.

Wow, I thought he did Dennis pretty well, except for the lack of a groan in his later years.

I thought so too. He did it quite well and so did Stabile imho

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
SurferGirl7
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2006, 01:00:10 PM »

The first part is good. The breakdown scene was the best adaptation of what probably happened. I thought the Carl in the film first half was played very well.

**Though I must say, my adaptation of the BB story will blow everyone away for sure**  Wink
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2006, 01:08:07 PM »

Re: Summer Dreams

B Greenwood was too 'Hollywood' for me in the movie, his speech, the way he potrayed himself, felt fake. Compared to the other actors, who I think played their roles much better. I think thats one of the reasons the emphasis on the movie is on Dennis because of the 'lead' role.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2006, 01:22:11 PM »

The most hilarious bit was Brian burning the SMiLE tapes in the fireplace, then sitting down at the piano and playing Let The Wind Blow.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2006, 04:14:25 PM »

I liked that performance.

Who performed the songs on that movie?

They were done well, (Forever, LTWB, most notably).

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2006, 05:25:08 AM »

The songs played there were special mixes. It was Dennis lead-track of "Forever" with a new piano dubbed onto it. And it was also Brian's original "Let the wind blow"-singing

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2006, 05:47:22 AM »

But if you remember what you heard of Smile were strange little Smile-like fragments.  I've got a feeling this was due to some kind of copyright thing, possibly to do with VDP.  Notice that VDP isn't VDP in the film but instead he's a VDP-like character with a different name.

In history, we painted pictures grim.  The devil knows we might feel that way again.
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2006, 05:58:13 AM »

But if you remember what you heard of Smile were strange little Smile-like fragments.  I've got a feeling this was due to some kind of copyright thing, possibly to do with VDP.  Notice that VDP isn't VDP in the film but instead he's a VDP-like character with a different name.

The first airing of the movie he was VDP.  VDP demanded he be removed and subsequent airings this was done.  The Smile snippets were written by Alan Boyd who can comment better about it than I.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2006, 09:38:24 AM »

Yes, VDP wondered (rightfully so) why he was the only collaborator/friend identified by his real name in the movie. The dramatic effect seemed to suggest that Parks was the weirdo who led Brian away from Mike, resulting in Brian losing his talent and sanity. Only in Mike's selfless return as Brian's collaborator could the quality of the music be regained! This whole conceit must seem even wackier now that "SMiLE" has been released and embraced as a masterpiece.
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2006, 12:03:59 PM »

The songs played there were special mixes. It was Dennis lead-track of "Forever" with a new piano dubbed onto it. And it was also Brian's original "Let the wind blow"-singing

THANKYOU.

I was absolutly convinced upon watching that those were just too good to be covers. Now, is that performance of Let The Wind Blow actually available anywhere on any of the SOT's or anything? It sounded very much more powerful and to the point in that bridge section than the released, WH version does.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2006, 12:50:01 PM »

It was the released version.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
sugarandspice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2006, 01:04:55 PM »

I really enjoyed  the movie.......... Anybody have a copy they are willing to send me

xoxoxoxoxoxo
suga
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2006, 01:21:50 PM »

It was the released version.

Fooled me.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2006, 08:08:42 PM »

God, I HATED the ending. Brian came off as being like Rainman in that one. Also, notice how he had his mid-70s behavior...in the late 60s!

Dumb.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
carlydenise2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2006, 04:08:25 AM »

The ending was so...abrupt...it was as if John Stamos ran outta steam and just....stopped. I realize this could have been a week-long movie if he put EVERYTHING in it, but he could have ended it differently.
Carly
Toby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2006, 06:07:49 AM »

Yes, VDP wondered (rightfully so) why he was the only collaborator/friend identified by his real name in the movie. The dramatic effect seemed to suggest that Parks was the weirdo who led Brian away from Mike, resulting in Brian losing his talent and sanity. Only in Mike's selfless return as Brian's collaborator could the quality of the music be regained! This whole conceit must seem even wackier now that "SMiLE" has been released and embraced as a masterpiece.

Van Dyke was so upset that he ran a "Mike Love joke contest" for a long long time when the movie came out.

It's an entertaining movie on one level... if you forget about all the terrible historical inaccuracies. And the portrayal of Brian as a mentally handicapped person, barely able to complete a sentence (trying to describe GV to his mom: "Uh... vibrations...umm... dogs....uhhh....y'know....they feel....uh...them") is offensive to say the least.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2006, 07:14:49 AM »

THANKYOU.

I was absolutly convinced upon watching that those were just too good to be covers. Now, is that performance of Let The Wind Blow actually available anywhere on any of the SOT's or anything? It sounded very much more powerful and to the point in that bridge section than the released, WH version does.

These were special mixes of the original recordings. I think Stephen Desper or Mark Linett did them. Maybe you can ask them about that. But they were, as far as I know, not released on anything other than the movie.

- Jack Rieley
cta
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2006, 06:49:21 AM »

Summer Dreams was absolutely horrible. 

But "American Family" did use original music.  Brian sings a part where his character does the "I Get Around" part in building the song.

Besides the whole "name a bunch of times" I wrote prior in the thread, I forgot how nauseating the guy who played Al was.  He was pure soap-opera school - heavy breaths, melodramatic acting, etc.

Feh.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2006, 08:52:49 PM »

this movie really turned me on to the BB, i liked it. The smile parts were funny. The guy who played VDP is great...i think he's on dazed and confused. the guy who played carl was good, had the good combover...but didnt look like him, but he did look like a Beach boy...the Honeys bit was good...phil spector appearance, subtle, but made an ass. mike, one of the closest looking ones. the whole thing where mike was out of it was so brief and he was ok after the next scenes....
something i noticed from the first time it shown (with VDP name) and the 2nd time (with the name Samuel); the 2nd showing, where dennis punches a window, he says, "and now you dont have a drummer." first showing, enever said that...when they combined the two showings into one, it sucked! they cut out so much stuff.
about summer dreams, what Dennis songs did they use?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
jabba2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2006, 02:47:56 PM »

It was a Mike Love/ Stamos influenced movie. Brian was mostly portayed as the bad influence that disrupted the band.

Summer Dreams is just as awful though, maybe even worse. I hated the cheesy hollywood love scenes.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2006, 02:57:23 PM »

I agree, Jabba. Though, Murry Wilson was pretty convincing in SD.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Howdy Doody
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2006, 06:02:38 PM »

I guess I will always wonder if now with Brian releasing SMILE if a cool movie could be made.  Jack Black could be a cool BW.  Does anyone think a real movie will ever be made?
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2006, 06:53:46 PM »

I'm not interested in a movie. The Beach Boys' musical output is enough to satisfy me a life time.

That being said, I think using unknown actors would be the best idea. Nobody wants to see Ben Affleck as Brian Wilson anytime soon.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx