gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680742 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 06:10:21 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Glen Campbell played Montreal 1965 not Brian  (Read 5784 times)
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 22, 2009, 05:07:35 AM »

Well...I uncovered a photo of the BBs backstage at Maurice Richard Arena in Montreal on Feb 19 1965 and lo and behold Glen Campbell was there in place of Brian.  In case you don't know-the Keith Badman book listed Brian as playing shows between Feb 13 and 20, with Glen returning for Toronto on Feb 21. He also listed the Montreal show as at the Forum.   In actuality-the tour started on Feb 12 in Philadelphia with Brian filling in. There are a number of photos of Brian with the BBs at the Feb 13 NY show.  Philly and NY were big shows (in fact the BBs had never headlined a NY show before that-they were only on a big package show in 1963), so I am sure Brian was cajoled into doing them.  Brian remained till Feb 18, when the group played Worcester (Not in Badman).  A backstage story in the paper-mentions him by name being there.  So Glen returned to play the Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto shows (Plus a Feb 22 Buffalo show not in Badman).   This means that Brian didn't play in Montreal for the first time until January 1977)
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 11:46:31 AM »

Bump of this old thread... I just found this post over on the Steve Hoffman board, from back in 2010, in a thread about Glen Campbell:

"The first concert I ever went to was in 1965. It was the Beach Boys in Montreal. It was the first tour that Brian wasn't with them. Glen Campbell was there in his place on bass. Mike Love introduced him as "Capitol Records recording artist Glen Campbell" and he sang 'Crying' by Roy Orbison..."

Apologies to Ian, Jon, and AGD if I'm wrong, I can't remember it ever being documented that Glen sang "Crying" while on tour with the Beach Boys.  I knew that he was given a solo spotlight, and I had heard reports of "Foggy Mountain Breakdown" on the banjo (at the New Years' Eve show in Charlotte), and Roger Miller's "Dang Me" (venue unknown), but not "Crying."

Lee

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 01:05:26 PM »

Don't know the date of this clip but around the same time I guess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc42IXtBMNI
Vernon Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't fight the sea

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 04:06:50 PM »

This concert occurred long before most of you were born.
Absolutely correct. I was there. Glen Campbell did take Brian's place. I remember vividly being pissed and saying to my friend "Who the hell is that? That's not Brian Wilson". Of course nobody knew who Glen was as it was long before he became famous. He did play base and he sang the falsetto parts...quite credibly if I recall although that was decades ago. My friend had wangled backstage passes through some radio station in the US however the bastard security guard would not let us in. Bloody Beach Boy Nazi
They played at the Maurice Richard Arena. It was pretty much sold out. We had seats in the 6th row and heard them pretty good considering the blasted girls screaming. (Why the hell did they have to ruin concerts like that?)

There are no pictures that I could find of the Montreal concert however there are a few taken at the Toronto concert which most likely occurred on that same tour. You can clearly see Glen (God bless him) with them and carrying a base.

Make waves, not love
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 04:17:30 PM »

My uncle said Glen was filling in when he saw the Beach Boys in Ottawa in the mid-60s. I think it's the same dates referred to here, because I remember noting the discrepancy when I read in the Badman book that Brian had played them.

Watch out for snakes!
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 07:54:24 PM »

Don't know the date of this clip but around the same time I guess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc42IXtBMNI

"Shindig," air date January 20, 1965 -- a month before the Montreal show.

Lee
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 06:33:25 AM by LeeDempsey » Logged
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 06:35:56 AM »

In my archives I have a CHUM radio Toronto Top 20 chart with a picture of the Beach Boys with Glen in Toronto.  I'll have to dig that out.

Lee
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 06:55:40 AM »

In my archives I have a CHUM radio Toronto Top 20 chart with a picture of the Beach Boys with Glen in Toronto.  I'll have to dig that out.

Lee

I'l presuming you have this one from after the show
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 08:51:01 AM by bgas » Logged

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2014, 01:32:35 PM »

The pink one is the one I have Chris.  Thanks for posting -- now I don't have to go dig it out!

I didn't catch that Badman's book had Brian playing those shows.  I'm glad Ian set the record straight.

Lee
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2014, 01:43:45 PM »

The pink one is the one I have Chris.  Thanks for posting -- now I don't have to go dig it out!

I didn't catch that Badman's book had Brian playing those shows.  I'm glad Ian set the record straight.

Lee

That Ian corrected the errors in Badman's book is but one of the reasons to get his and Jon's book (for another, you get to see some of my stuff too; Hi Mikie! ) 
Here it is at Amazon:  http://www.amazon.com/The-Beach-Boys-Concert-Complete/dp/1617134562
tho I imagine it may be available at your local retailer... 

You've got it, don't you Lee? 

LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2014, 03:17:19 PM »

Yep, course I do.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2014, 06:03:48 AM »

Hmm...."Crying"...don't think I remember seeing reference to that before. I have a friend who saw the Beach Boys in Connecticut in May 1965, and he remembered being disappointed that Brian wasn't there. He says that Glen was given a solo spot but doesn't remember what song he sang. BUT -- as far as he's concerned, it was "Guess I'm Dumb," and he's saying that he's sticking to that unless someone can prove otherwise. Smiley  I doubt the Beach Boys would have been able to pull that off, but then again, "Guess I'm Dumb" was released just a few weeks after that concert, so it's plausible that he would have wanted to promote the song. I'll ask my friend if "Crying" might ring a bell for him, but he says Glen definitely did NOT sing "Dang Me" at the concert he went to.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 07:31:46 AM by 37!ws » Logged

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2014, 12:23:47 PM »

https://www.facebook.com/LostOttawa/posts/448452568587306

In this discussion people remember Glen being present.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2014, 02:20:52 PM »

https://www.facebook.com/LostOttawa/posts/448452568587306

In this discussion people remember Glen being present.

Of course an Esquires band member also remembers playing the show, which they didn't.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx