gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681353 Posts in 27636 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 04, 2024, 06:00:07 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Latest from Jon (Stebbins, that is)  (Read 13233 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 25, 2009, 08:46:32 AM »

I agree that he has moments that sound decent. TLOS does largely sound good, though I have no doubt the studio and surrounding team are assisting in that regard. There's a world of difference between that opinion, though--sounds good sometimes--and the alleged overwhelming sentiment that he sounds like he did in the '60s, though, which I still hold to have NEVER heard anyone here say. Ever.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 25, 2009, 10:30:26 AM »

Brian had a LOVELY supernatural voice for many years!!! I mean, he was never Carl, but who the hell is??
I must strongly object! You can't really prefer Carl's voice to Brian's 60's voice, can you?! For my money only Al's singing is less pleasing than Carl's. Except for God Only Knows and GV I can't think of a single song Carl sings that I Really want to hear, and I don't even Really want to hear GV. Maybe Fell Flows, but other than that he always sounds like he can just barely hit his notes, then he gets all slurry...Of course I know this isn't a popular notion, but I'd rather hear I'd Love Just Once to See You than Wild Honey any day.

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 25, 2009, 10:31:39 AM »

I'm not trying to start anything, but has anyone confirmed or denied if Brian's vocals on TLOS were autotuned? A lot of things new albums released use it, even if the ears can't detect it through the instrumentation.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 25, 2009, 12:05:22 PM »

I think in Brian's most recent recordings and concerts, he sounds like he did in the 60's.  LOL

What I don't get is how a thread about Jon's next project devolves into talking about Bob Dylan.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 25, 2009, 12:06:03 PM »

What I don't get is how a thread about Jon's next project devolves into talking about Bob Dylan.
I see you haven't been around here long. It's par for the course.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: December 25, 2009, 12:13:30 PM »

I'm surprised it took as long as it did.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 25, 2009, 12:32:13 PM »

Carl Wilson's vocal on Darlin' is great as it is on many songs.
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 25, 2009, 12:39:05 PM »

I'm not trying to start anything, but has anyone confirmed or denied if Brian's vocals on TLOS were autotuned? A lot of things new albums released use it, even if the ears can't detect it through the instrumentation.

I don't know about the final product, but I think I remember reading a quote from perhaps Scott that no autotune was used on the original demos and some of the vocals of the final product were lifted straight from the demos I believe.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: December 25, 2009, 01:09:00 PM »

I don't know about the final product, but I think I remember reading a quote from perhaps Scott that no autotune was used on the original demos and some of the vocals of the final product were lifted straight from the demos I believe.

Not some - most. From an interview I conducted with Scott in the US, January this year:

Andrew: You've stated in interviews that the album version of "Midnight" makes extensive use of the demo, notably Brian's vocals - were any other parts of other demos flown in like this ?

Scott: A lot of them were. Some were done at Mark Linnett's, but there was something true about his initial enthusiasm, so we went back to the demos.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 25, 2009, 01:10:33 PM »

I'm surprised it took as long as it did.  Grin
Best of all, it is also migrating into the inevitable autotune debate. With any luck, we'll get a big Brian v Mike fight, what killed Smile, and some reunion talk in this thread, too.

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 25, 2009, 05:02:21 PM »

I think in Brian's most recent recordings and concerts, he sounds like he did in the 60's.  LOL

Bingo - another person who's never 'heard' Pet Sounds

Luther - how in the world can you be on this board and make statements like this "But when in the life of this board has anyone ever said he sounds like the 1966 Brian? I think you're reaching with that."  People like bgas say these ridiculous things all the time.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 05:33:32 PM by SurfRiderHawaii » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 25, 2009, 06:29:10 PM »

Maybe I've become oblivious to the obviously wrong. Anyway, my main gripe with that was that it's definitely not the pervasive sentiment that whoever (you? I don't know. speaking of oblivious...I don't really pay attention to who's who anymore other than a few obvious characters.) made it out to be.

Wilsonista
« Reply #62 on: December 25, 2009, 06:55:36 PM »

I think in Brian's most recent recordings and concerts, he sounds like he did in the 60's.  LOL

Luther - how in the world can you be on this board and make statements like this "But when in the life of this board has anyone ever said he sounds like the 1966 Brian? I think you're reaching with that."  People like bgas say these ridiculous things all the time.

Uh, Bgas was making a smart assed joke. That obviously went over your head.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 25, 2009, 08:26:59 PM »

You know, it's not easy being a Brianista.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 25, 2009, 10:16:12 PM »

Luther - how in the world can you be on this board and make statements like this "But when in the life of this board has anyone ever said he sounds like the 1966 Brian? I think you're reaching with that."  People like bgas say these ridiculous things all the time.

Uh, Bgas was making a smart assed joke. That obviously went over your head.

Maybe Rob but that's the 2nd "Brian still sounds the same/great" post in this thread.  Lot's of Blueobarders here who are "oblivious to the obviously wrong".  For more "Brian is as good as 1966", just have a read of some of the "See This Tour"  thread posts.

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,8092.0.html

Let's face facts - many on here have no idea what a brilliant singer Brian used to be.  For the unenlightened, have a listen to the Smile boot of "Surf's Up".
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 02:40:16 AM by SurfRiderHawaii » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 25, 2009, 11:07:54 PM »

I started that thread, and I wrote many of the posts on it. I simply shared what I saw and what I felt.

I never wrote or implied that "Brian is as good as 1966" there. And I have never done so.

I love Brian Wilson, but I am not deaf or stupid.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 11:19:20 PM by claymcc » Logged
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 26, 2009, 02:38:40 AM »

I started that thread, and I wrote many of the posts on it. I simply shared what I saw and what I felt.

I never wrote or implied that "Brian is as good as 1966" there. And I have never done so.

I love Brian Wilson, but I am not deaf or stupid.

Thanks Clay.  If you start a thread you are not held responsible for the posts that go in it.  Please reread my post.  I did not say "you said that";  I said the posts within.  I think that was pretty clear!

MBE
« Reply #67 on: December 26, 2009, 02:47:22 AM »

I remember Jon (I think it was him) mentioning that Al Jardine once said that the worst ting that ever happened to the Beach Boys was when Brian lost his voice. That is very true.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: December 26, 2009, 03:08:41 AM »

Lot's of Blueobarders here who are "oblivious to the obviously wrong".

No Blooies here - the waters are much too deep.

mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 26, 2009, 04:56:59 AM »

I remember Jon (I think it was him) mentioning that Al Jardine once said that the worst ting that ever happened to the Beach Boys was when Brian lost his voice. That is very true.

Yeah I would go along with that. Brian's voice was really the thing that first attracted me to the band.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 26, 2009, 05:02:17 AM »

Lot's of Blueobarders here who are "oblivious to the obviously wrong".

No Blooies here - the waters are much too deep.

So true. Some of the people there amaze me. I remember talking to a member once and I was talking about Busy Doin' Nothin' and they said "Oh I think I know that song, isn't it off the album Here Today" Roll Eyes

Also, I almost never check the place anymore (and when I do, I just go to see if there is any announcements etc.) but I remember you started a topic there a while back saying "how many of the Beach Boys albums do you actually own" and it was amazing how many people only owned a handful of albums!
Jason
« Reply #71 on: December 26, 2009, 10:12:13 AM »

Wading through the nonsense on the blueboard is a real "dog's dinner" case. Like the members themselves, the posts consist of a select few winners and a WHOLE LOT of losers. Such is the fate of the ignoramuses (ignoramii?) who frequent that lovely corner of the interweb.

Besides, you'd better be careful what you post on here about the blueboard - some of their unicelled members post on this very forum. Smiley
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 26, 2009, 10:30:26 AM »

Back to the TLOS autotune for a sec -- it may not have been used on the demo vocals. But once those demo vocals were moved over to the album proper, they could have been (and from the sound of it, were) nipped and tucked. This was sometimes good, sometimes not. Thus the weird transformation of MAD from a stunning demo to a good, but not overwhelming, album track.

Re: the "Brian can't sing" debate. One of the biggest obstacles to his current voice is not pitch or timbre -- as pointed out, lots pf artists don't have great pipes to begin with, or lose them. It's phrasing. For most of the 80s and 90s, Brian simply did not sound like a "professional" singer. (I like that voice, but it's an extremely acquired taste). Ditto for many of his present-day concerts.

(I got into the music through the IJWMFTT album, so my entire perspective on BW's voice is skewed. That weird yelp-y ness of the 90s is part of what brought me into fandom. I liked that other people found it hard to listen to.)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 11:08:05 AM by claymcc » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: December 26, 2009, 10:52:07 AM »

Wading through the nonsense on the blueboard is a real "dog's dinner" case. Like the members themselves, the posts consist of a select few winners and a WHOLE LOT of losers. Such is the fate of the ignoramuses (ignoramii?) who frequent that lovely corner of the interweb.

Besides, you'd better be careful what you post on here about the blueboard - some of their unicelled members post on this very forum. Smiley

I post under the principle that anything on this, or any other, board gets back to the powers-that-be one way or another. Mainly 'cause I know it does.  Grin

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 26, 2009, 11:07:00 AM »

I had always assumed that was true until I was allowed to interview Brian. Hell, I started a thread comparing and contrasting Melinda with the Antichrist.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx