gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680854 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 02:01:06 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Billy Hinsche's new DVD out NOW.......!!!  (Read 8075 times)
DonnaK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 19, 2009, 07:53:15 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7zqSXH07Wc

Just ordered mine!!!! YES!
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 04:32:52 PM »

Here's how to order it (my copy is on the way):

www.billyhinsche.com/1974

Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 04:51:59 PM »

just ordered mine!

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 08:44:17 PM »

just ordered mine!
"Through the eyes of the camera lens you will be transported right onto the live performance stage almost as if you were in the band. You’re so close to the action that you will want to pick up a tambourine to play and sing along as the band glides through “The Trader,” “Long Promised Road” and “Marcella.” Holy CRAP! I can't wait for this.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 09:37:32 AM »

just ordered mine!

just ordered 3   Grin

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
DonnaK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 10:19:04 AM »

Through the eyes of the camera lens you will be transported right onto the live performance stage almost as if you were in the band. You’re so close to the action that you will want to pick up a tambourine to play and sing along as the band glides through “The Trader,” “Long Promised Road” and “Marcella.” Holy CRAP! I can't wait for this. 

Yes Yes Yes.....This is going to be great!!!!! Thanks to Billy Hinsche for doing this!!!!
Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 01:52:59 AM »

mine has been shipped already. Maybe in time for the new year  Cheesy
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 10:53:50 AM »

What, no Desi???
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 02:39:23 PM »

Through the eyes of the camera lens you will be transported right onto the live performance stage almost as if you were in the band. You’re so close to the action that you will want to pick up a tambourine to play and sing along as the band glides through “The Trader,” “Long Promised Road” and “Marcella.” Holy CRAP! I can't wait for this. 

Yes Yes Yes.....This is going to be great!!!!! Thanks to Billy Hinsche for doing this!!!!

Yes, it's an interesting piece of work. The video medium used here,  the "Porta-Pak" system, wasn't as highly evolved as today's videos, so pretty much everything has a grainy look.
 But, to see inside, to see a close-up backstage look at the BBs and some of the dynamics involved, its a must see. 

Dennis is great. Carl can be funny. intercut with interview segments( recent) it's a nice video.
There's a lot of Ricky Fataar here. And It's hard to imagine the difference in looks then/now for Carli Munoz. 

Billy signed mine for me,( I asked) so I have to say a Special THANK YOU to him for that!

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
DonnaK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 09:25:09 PM »

Fantastic film, made me laugh, smile, think, and cry at the end.......it's a must see!!!
Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2009, 07:36:58 AM »

This should be fun to see, I'm ordering one now.

Mike's not a Hawthorne boy. The Hawthorne guys stuck together. The Wilsons and I always had a special bond. We felt like we were a team.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 01:05:55 PM »

Got my copy yesterday, watched it today. Wow.

The day-by-day touring-life is great to watch. Building up the stage, soundchecks, Ricky practising the pedal steel, the conversations (in airplanes, hotels, etc.), a lot of attention for ALL members of the band. The live footage snippets make you wish there was more... weird to see them perform The Trader and Marcella at Joliet Memorial the day after I was born...

And what was Dennis doing, fooling around with that camera with "the chick" in that hotel room?  Grin

Billy did a great job !! Can't wait for the next project. (1975 anyone?)

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2009, 02:16:56 PM »

Hard to describe how cool this really is. First and foremost, this was a true labor of love for Billy, so much in fact, that he had very real concerns about sharing his very first video project with the public, particularly one that is so near and dear to his heart.

In a sense, Hinsche tested the waters over the last several years with his "One In A Million" tribute recording and video of Dennis from this footage, and the very enjoyable "The Match" (both appearing on Billy's "The Road Well Traveled" DVD). Both gave us brief insight into the 1974 tour, but hardly scratched the surface. The video quality suffers at times, but the insight and testimonials given by Jim Guercio, Ed Carter, Bobby Figueroa, Ricky Fataar, Carli Munoz, road manager Rick Nelson, Steve Moffitt, and Billy add the needed depth to this documentary.

Billy closes the set with an in-depth explanation of the type of video he used in 1974, and several nice touches are included that add very nice historical nuances. Hinsche's project is an invaluable resource, as well as true keepsake for any Beach Boys fan. Watching the Beach Boys on tour during a time when they were rediscovering themselves and slowly gaining recognition from a second generation of fans is fascinating, and it's great to see footage of Dennis and Carl Wilson.

This video offers rare video footage that we'll be talking about for the rest of our lives, and for generations to come.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 11:07:12 AM by ESQ Editor—DBeard » Logged
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2009, 04:35:08 PM »

amazing!!!

--
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2009, 09:00:32 AM »

The video medium used here,  the "Porta-Pak" system, wasn't as highly evolved as today's videos, so pretty much everything has a grainy look.
The film quality, because of the transpiring years, suffers at times...
Billy closes the set with an in-depth explanation of the type of film he used in 1974, and several nice touches are included that add very nice historical nuances.

Excuse me, but did you watch the "in-depth explanation"?  There was never any film involved with this at all!  We were shooting, (as bgas points out above), on a Sony VideoTape Porta-Pak system, which was half-inch black & white videotape, threaded on open reels, like audio tape.  So the transpiring years had nothing to do with it; this was basically the first type of videotape that could be shot without being tied to huge recorders, so the quality wasn't all that great to begin with.  Very shortly after this was shot, we acquired a 3/4" color camera & recorder, that shot on these huge cassette type tapes.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2009, 10:36:28 AM »

I think they're using film and videotape interchangeably here. 

--
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2009, 03:52:54 PM »

I think they're using film and videotape interchangeably here. 

We've got a board full of lay-people!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2009, 04:38:13 PM »

Very shortly after this was shot, we acquired a 3/4" color camera & recorder, that shot on these huge cassette type tapes.

Ed, I worked for a public television station back in the '70s and remember when we switched to 3/4" format, from 2-inch. Those 2-inch tape playback machines were huge, the size of a chest freezer. The 3/4" tape editing/playback machines took up less space, but yeah the cassettes were still pretty big, as cassettes go.

I am delighted with Billy's DVD -- a truly unique view of a moment in time for the BBs. I love the "fly-on-the-wall" character of this film. You get to see the individual BBs as real people, and how life on the road unfolds.

Billy has just extended his free shipping offer through the end of January, 2010, so there's another good reason to order 1974.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2009, 04:54:18 PM »

Dunno if I've just been lazy or dumber than usual, but it struck me a few moments ago that I hadn't ordered this yet. The situation has been remedied.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2009, 07:39:02 PM »

And now comes the inevitable question: Are there any insights given as to the lifestyle of Dennis and/or Brian from this time period? Is Brian seen or heard from at all in the documentary?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
PS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2009, 11:38:55 PM »

And now comes the inevitable question: Are there any insights given as to the lifestyle of Dennis and/or Brian from this time period? Is Brian seen or heard from at all in the documentary?

No. and No.

Spectacularly mundane.

But, truth be told, also fascinating, for the very same reason.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2010, 01:03:49 AM »

Without seeing the DVD yet I expect Billy to respect the 'what happens on tour, stays on tour' code.  Wink
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2010, 09:07:51 AM »

Ed Roach wrote: "Excuse me, but did you watch the "in-depth explanation"?  There was never any film involved with this at all!  We were shooting, (as bgas points out above), on a Sony VideoTape Porta-Pak system, which was half-inch black & white videotape, threaded on open reels, like audio tape.  So the transpiring years had nothing to do with it; this was basically the first type of videotape that could be shot without being tied to huge recorders, so the quality wasn't all that great to begin with.  Very shortly after this was shot, we acquired a 3/4" color camera & recorder, that shot on these huge cassette type tapes."

Thanks Ed. Yes I did watch the entire video presentation, and if you note, at the end of my mini review, I state that Billy offers the in-depth explanation. I don't have a background in film/video, but Billy read my review and posted to me how pleased he was with it, and wasn't upset at the use of the word "film" at all, in fact he didn't even mention it.

Out of respect for Billy and yourself, I went back and updated my initial post to reflect your insight. Never intended to offend you over the use of the word film.

I trust that this visual recording of an historic time brings back some great memories for you; it's a fascinating homage to the Beach Boys.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 12:00:59 PM by ESQ Editor » Logged
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2010, 09:19:07 AM »

And now comes the inevitable question: Are there any insights given as to the lifestyle of Dennis ... from this time period?
1974...Dennis was virtually straight compared to several years later. No trace of any lifestyle deterioration here. Also, Dennis brings Brian into the film in one scene.
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2010, 10:33:42 AM »

The way he brings Brian into the film (dvd LOL) is for me one of the most priceless moments of the many...
And didn't mean to be so curt, David; still mind blowing to me to see all of this stage stuff that was some
of the very first video that I had shot, that I had thought was long gone... 
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx