gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 02:32:22 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: TAMI Show finally comes to legit DVD  (Read 2461 times)
Cal
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 14, 2009, 01:33:43 PM »

The TAMI Show finally comes to legit DVD!!!

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-19248-Vintage-Rock-n-Roll-Examiner~y2009m12d14-Celebrate-The-TAMI-Show-finally-comes-to-DVD

Regards,
Cal aka "Beatle Bob"
Smiley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 04:56:24 AM »

This release, the full show, includes the Beach Boys segment, which was edited from VHS versions.

Greatest live footage of the early Beach Boys I have ever seen. Dennis rocks !!

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 09:49:53 AM »

I'll be buying that, not for The Beach Boys though, already have that show it came with the Sounds Of Summer comp

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 05:36:24 AM »

By the way-I mentioned in an article I wrote for ESQ that not everyone got a chance to see- I found articles from the early 70s that show that was when the BBs footage was edited out.  The BBs footage was in there when the film was shown in the 60s but in 1973 D Clark bought the rights and he couldn't get the BBs to agree to his deal-so he excised their footage for the re-release.  I assume that he wanted them to take very little (considering there low commercial standing in 1973) and they balked.   I know that when the BBs filmed it in 1964 they recieved top billing and got paid about 50, 000- a lot more than the Stones-who were not as well known in the states (pre-Satisfaction).  The show was rehearsed on Oct 28 and filmed on Oct 29.
MBE
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 05:06:56 AM »

It's one of the top ten all time rock concerts period.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 01:34:54 AM »

Wow, always wanted to see that. The line-up is like a hall of fame. I'm presuming this'll be released in the UK too?!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
GLarson432
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 02:27:32 AM »

I have a boot version of this and am looking forward to a legitimate, *clean* release.  Not 14 versions down the trail.

After Jan & Deans' opening gambit you get the Barbarians.  Then, I think, it's Leslie Gore.  But the reason I sought out this concert is third.  James Brown.  Anyone over 30 has heard that he was "the hardest working man in Show Business".  by God, if you don't think the same after seeing this then...

I've seen 51 BB shows since July of 1964.  I've seen Brian 8 times.  I saw Al Jardine Family and Friends (when that was still their name) once.  But the two times I saw James Brown in the summers of 1967 and 1968 (at the Tulsa Civic Center) were the best two concerts I've ever seen in my Life.

In this 19 minute part of the show, and if you've never seen James (which is probably most of you, at least when he was in his peak) he will seem 'corny'.  But...

He won/wins you over in a live concert.  He JUST KEEPS DOING WHAT HE DOES!!  It's shortened in the T.A.M.I. Show (what he would do in concert) but after awhile, even if you thought he was just a...I dunno what; something, by the 17th time he would fall on his knees during "Prisoner Of Love" or "Please, Please, Please" (or whatever) he just foda won you over.

I had won tickets through a radio station in Tulsa (KAKC) for my first show in the summer of 1967.  I was in the second row.. Looking left and right to the people around me they were all white and, obviously also had a radio station connections or were given free tickets in some way, shape or form.  They were not JB fans, per se.

Essentially, they all had their arms folded, leaning back in their chairs trying to be cool, when James first came on stage.

By the (nearly) end of the show...3:45 mins later these same people were sitting on the edge of their seats totally enthralled with what they were seeing.  It was amazing to see!  All these rich white kids who were too 'hip' for James Brown & The Famous Flames being totally caught up in his performance.  Hardest working Man in Show Business?  Absolutely!!  

As stated, the best two concerts I've ever seen in my Life.  Get the T.A.M.I. show just to see James, if nothing else.  Most of us have the four songs by The Beach Boys on "Sounds and Sights of Summer".

BTW, reportedly, The Rolling Stones, who followed James and were the fourth act on the bill, were devastated by what they had just seen.  It was a case of "There's no way that anything we do will match up with what we just saw".  I don't know if THAT aspect of the concert is true but I've heard that.  More than twice.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 02:33:07 AM by GLarson432 » Logged
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 08:41:54 AM »

I have a boot version of this and am looking forward to a legitimate, *clean* release.  Not 14 versions down the trail.

After Jan & Deans' opening gambit you get the Barbarians.  Then, I think, it's Leslie Gore.  But the reason I sought out this concert is third.  James Brown.  Anyone over 30 has heard that he was "the hardest working man in Show Business".  by God, if you don't think the same after seeing this then...

I've seen 51 BB shows since July of 1964.  I've seen Brian 8 times.  I saw Al Jardine Family and Friends (when that was still their name) once.  But the two times I saw James Brown in the summers of 1967 and 1968 (at the Tulsa Civic Center) were the best two concerts I've ever seen in my Life.

In this 19 minute part of the show, and if you've never seen James (which is probably most of you, at least when he was in his peak) he will seem 'corny'.  But...

He won/wins you over in a live concert.  He JUST KEEPS DOING WHAT HE DOES!!  It's shortened in the T.A.M.I. Show (what he would do in concert) but after awhile, even if you thought he was just a...I dunno what; something, by the 17th time he would fall on his knees during "Prisoner Of Love" or "Please, Please, Please" (or whatever) he just foda won you over.

I had won tickets through a radio station in Tulsa (KAKC) for my first show in the summer of 1967.  I was in the second row.. Looking left and right to the people around me they were all white and, obviously also had a radio station connections or were given free tickets in some way, shape or form.  They were not JB fans, per se.

Essentially, they all had their arms folded, leaning back in their chairs trying to be cool, when James first came on stage.

By the (nearly) end of the show...3:45 mins later these same people were sitting on the edge of their seats totally enthralled with what they were seeing.  It was amazing to see!  All these rich white kids who were too 'hip' for James Brown & The Famous Flames being totally caught up in his performance.  Hardest working Man in Show Business?  Absolutely!!  

As stated, the best two concerts I've ever seen in my Life.  Get the T.A.M.I. show just to see James, if nothing else.  Most of us have the four songs by The Beach Boys on "Sounds and Sights of Summer".

BTW, reportedly, The Rolling Stones, who followed James and were the fourth act on the bill, were devastated by what they had just seen.  It was a case of "There's no way that anything we do will match up with what we just saw".  I don't know if THAT aspect of the concert is true but I've heard that.  More than twice.

Greg either you've got a REALLY messed up copy or your memory is failing you...the acts appear chronologically just like the link at the top of this thread lists them...

Jan And Dean: (Here They Come) From All Over The World
Chuck Berry: Johnny B. Goode, Maybellene
Gerry And The Pacemakers: Don’t Let The Sun Catch You Crying, It’s Gonna Be Alright
Chuck Berry: Sweet Little Sixteen
Gerry And The Pacemakers: How Do You Do It?
Chuck Berry: Nadine
Gerry And The Pacemakers: I Like It
Smokey Robinson & The Miracles: That’s What Love Is Made Of, You’ve Really Got A Hold On Me, Mickey’s Monkey
Marvin Gaye: Stubborn Kind Of Fellow, Pride And Joy, Can I Get A Witness, Hitch Hike
Lesley Gore: Maybe I Know, You Don’t Own Me, You Didn’t Look Around, Hey Now, It’s My Party, Judy’s Turn To Cry
Jan & Dean: The Little Old Lady (From Pasadena), Sidewalk Surfin
The Beach Boys: Surfin’ U.S.A., I Get Around, Surfer Girl, Dance, Dance, Dance
Billy J. Kramer And The Dakotas: Little Children, Bad To Me, I’ll Keep You Satisfied, From A Window
The Supremes: When The Lovelight Starts Shining Through His Eyes, Run, Run, Run, Baby Love, Where Did Our Love Go
The Barbarians: Hey Little Bird
James Brown and The Flames: Out Of Sight, Prisoner Of Love, Please, Please, Please, Night Train
The Rolling Stones: Around And Around, Off The Hook, Time Is On My Side, It’s All Over Now, I’m Alright

Complete boot versions of this show have been around for years with everything unfolding just as above, including the BB's set, which was restored by using Sights and Sounds of Summer. MY best copy of TAMI which i acquired several years ago is real good quality. I'm hoping this new version being offered is from a recently discovered 1st gen. 35mm master that surfaced a couple years back...then we'd be getting the absolute pristine quality. But...I have a feeling its not if Shout Factory is not mentioning that in their promotions. Anyway, its one of the best shows ever and if you have a messed up copy like Greg's or don't have one at all you should buy this version.
GLarson432
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 09:58:25 AM »

Hello Jon -- Apparently I have a messed up copy because the order of the first four acts, on the DVD I have, is exactly as I stated.  Barbarians, Leslie Gore, James followed by the Rolling Stones. 

I'm looking forward to seeing the show as it was shown originally!
Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 09:49:41 PM »

The Jan & Dean intro of James Brown and His Famous Flames is hilarious . . . Dean dowses Jan with a fire extinguisher.

Director Steve Binder sent me one of his copies a few years ago.

M.

MBE
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2009, 12:08:24 AM »

The Jan & Dean intro of James Brown and His Famous Flames is hilarious . . . Dean dowses Jan with a fire extinguisher.

Director Steve Binder sent me one of his copies a few years ago.

M.
Yeah that is funny. I have a copy from a cable tv airing in the 80's. I think it was on the USA network
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx