gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:21:23 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate The Beach Boys: 25 Years Together - A Celebration In Waikiki
5 - 1 (4.2%)
4 - 7 (29.2%)
3 - 1 (4.2%)
2 - 6 (25%)
1 - 5 (20.8%)
0 - 4 (16.7%)
Total Voters: 21

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys: 25 Years Together - A Celebration In Waikiki  (Read 55392 times)
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2009, 10:15:50 AM »

You know, a lot of this special is just too cheezy, but Ray Charles performance is, I think, the tops. He does "Sail on Sailor" a lot of justice.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2009, 02:19:25 AM »

Holy merda, that was terrible.

And SJS, I'd say you've got your wish as to that version of Spirit of Rock n Roll being recorded: my guess would be that other than Brian's not very good doubling of his own pre-recorded lead vocal, about 95% of what we heard was pre-recorded in that song.

I have an audience tape of "Spirit" as actually performed that day. It was awful.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2009, 07:31:48 PM »

I have always wondered how much of this was actually "live". Almost the entire thing sounds like it was pre-recorded in a studio. Especially the backing vocals on SOS. There is not a single song where the music itself actually sounds live.

On a side note; I absolutely LOVE the part where Brian was obviously supposed to kiss the women on the cheek(who gave him a Lei) but he does a full on kiss instead.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2009, 08:42:45 AM »

I have always wondered how much of this was actually "live". Almost the entire thing sounds like it was pre-recorded in a studio. Especially the backing vocals on SOS. There is not a single song where the music itself actually sounds live.

On a side note; I absolutely LOVE the part where Brian was obviously supposed to kiss the women on the cheek(who gave him a Lei) but he does a full on kiss instead.  Grin
If you rea the Wilson Project, Gary Usher describes how essentially all of the vocals were indeed pre-recorded in a Hawaii studio in the days before the concert. No doubt dubbing, as well.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2010, 12:58:37 AM »

A teeny timelime:

December
10 - session: various titles incl Barbara Ann [Commercial Recording, Honolulu HI]
11 - session: Spirit Of Rock & Roll [Commercial Recording, Honolulu HI]
12 - 25th Anniversary Show, Waikiki Beach HI

January
12 - session: Spirit Of Rock & Roll vocals [Evergreen, Burbank CA]

March
13 - The Beach Boys - 25 Years Together ABC TV special aired

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2010, 11:56:58 AM »

will a release of this ever see the light of day?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2010, 01:37:25 PM »

I remember how canned and crappy all the versions of the songs were, I remember Paul Shaffer always wanting to play the organ solo to Surfin' USA and Joe Piscopo pouring motor oil on his surfboard as a way to describe the beaches in New Jersey.

I was excited when it aired but was grounded quickly by all the cheese.  So staged, so stupid, so stiff.

If I remember correctly Glen Cambell also blows the lyrics to Little Deuce Coupe.

Mike's not a Hawthorne boy. The Hawthorne guys stuck together. The Wilsons and I always had a special bond. We felt like we were a team.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2011, 06:32:05 AM »

Is this available on dvd?

The cover on page 1 makes me think so...but it could be a "rarity"

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Jimmie_R
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2011, 02:28:37 PM »

I´m just watching this right now.. I´ve had it for 3 years but never bothered to watch it until tonight.. My god how horrible it is...
The crowd..? The medleys.. the songs seems almost  under rehersed.. And my god don´t get me started on Mikes stage outfits during the first 30 minutes..

The only cool thing is that Brian is there and he is not doing anything of value anyway.. The guest line up is horrible apart from Ray Charles..

If you want to see everything that became wrong with the BB after Dennis died then look no further...

Am I too critical??
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 01, 2012, 02:08:08 AM »

A dissenting opinion: yes, Ray Charles was good, but so were the Everlys. I mean, that's a dream come true for me, Beach Boys and Evs sharing the same stage. Three Dog was very good, too. i do recall reading an article at the time stating that Carl was disappointed in the way the band played during the special. He said something about a party everyone attended the night before, and ...well....he thought everyone had partied too much. So yeah, there was a lot of overdubbing after the fact. Still, this was probably as good as it was gonna get for a network tv special. If it had been for PBS or cable, we could've got something better. Oh well.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2012, 10:00:42 AM »

Hmm yeah, seems to be pretty rare. Guess I'll try to sell my copy.  Grin
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2012, 11:56:27 AM »

Hmm yeah, seems to be pretty rare. Guess I'll try to sell my copy.  Grin
It'd be nice if this was released for the anniversery this year.

(folks who "look on our message board quite often" and/or "are in the know" and/or have a say in what needs to be released should take this and other great items posted in recent weeks as requests into consideration.)  PLEASE?  Grin

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 03, 2012, 01:30:26 PM »

It's not worth it.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 03, 2012, 02:21:29 PM »

It's not worth it.
They should make a documentary with the BBs today about what went wrong with that show. Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 03, 2012, 03:36:36 PM »

It's not worth it.
They should make a documentary with the BBs today about what went wrong with that show. Grin
I'd buy that. You could make an entire documentary series about similar instances in the BBs history, titled What the surf were they thinking?.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 08, 2012, 06:31:40 PM »

That's a great idea for a dvd. The Beach Boys: What in the World Were They Thinking? (from now on referred to as WITWWTT). Touring with the Maharishi after the Beatles had dumped him; releasing 15 BO as their big comeback album in 1976; capitalizing on the success of Kokomo in 1988 with... Still Cruisin'? Letting Mike put out SIP?
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 19, 2013, 02:50:50 PM »

I got my grubby little hands on a VHS copy of this, it was taped off tv, with commercials and all, I actually prefer it that way. You get the see the cheesy Beach Boys jingle commercials for Bud Light and McDonalds. Plus, you get the song "Little GTI" presented by VW.

Another plus is Patrick Duffy, referring that "shouldn't he be on Southfork?"  Wink   AWESOME

The Joe Piscopo segment has got to be the most annoying parts, what was the point? Nobody thought it was funny then, same goes for now.

What non-beach boys songs are played and why?
What's Mr. Campbell's song? I don't know his stuff. And the lady who sang I can hear music with Carl? She looked like cousin Vinton's wife on Mama's Family.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 25, 2013, 09:40:45 AM »

I sold my DVD a couple of months ago for about €30, if I remember correctly. Hadn't watched it in ages, anyway.
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 01, 2013, 06:44:20 PM »

When this was aired in 1987 it was a BIG deal.. Jeez what a disappointment .!  Duffy + Piscopo   TERRIBLE !!  NO live music ..!  What a mess.. ! Another train  wreck  + Missed  chance to shine..  and in 1 1/2 years they have a #1 single.. Go  figure..!!!!!!!!!!!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx